mast leaking through deck along compression post into cabin

Dec 10, 2014
Hunter Legend 40.5 Naples, FL
Hi, my 1994 Hunter Legend 40.5 is leaking, a lot, along the compression post (deck stepped mast). The water seems to come in along the wiring?
The mast has quite some nest building material in it from birds dropping it in from the mast head.
Can I rebed or recaulk the mast foot from the inside?
Can I fill the mast foot with something and drill a drain hole(s) in the mast, effectively sealing the foot?
Any other ideas?
Thanks, Wes

Dec 10, 2014
Hi Terry,

do I understand that you stepped the mast to access the mast foot and drain hole and wire pipe?

Gerton

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Terry,

do I understand that you stepped the mast to access the mast foot and drain hole and wire pipe?

Gerton
Yes Wes. The PO had tried to stop the leak from inside the boat using lots of Silicon II smeared all over the place. What a mess. Hate that stuff anyway. Still leaked when we took possession. In our case I had to unstep the mast in order to fix the leak permanently. That was in 2002. Remains dry to this day in soggy PNW weather.

If it were my boat I would not fill the inside of the mast step plate with stuff and then drill a hole in the mast base to drain any water accumulation. I'm assuming that Hunter built your model of boat very similar to ours. The mast rests on a cast aluminum step plate that is bolted to the coach roof. In the center is a plastic conduit for the mast wires to enter the cabin. Those wires should have a nice drip loop at the base of the mast to prevent moisture from following the wires into the cabin. The conduit, which should be sealed to the cabin top with a good quality sealant, should extend a few inches above the cabin top to prevent any rain water from pooling and spilling over the top of the conduit and into the cabin. The mast step plate should have a weep hole to allow rain water from the mast head to drain out at the base. That weep hole should be cleaned out each season. Lesson learned.

Dec 25, 2000
Can you tell where the leak emanates? Through the wire conduit, around the conduit seal, etc.?

Dec 10, 2014
Seems along the wires, through the conduit. Even so much that it runs over the ceiling to the sides and drips from the rods under the stays as well as along compression post

Dec 25, 2000
Seems along the wires, through the conduit. Even so much that it runs over the ceiling to the sides and drips from the rods under the stays as well as along compression post
So, no drip loop in the wires at the base before entering the conduit? Our boat has a removable panel at the top of the compression post with access to the mast step plate bolts, wires, conduit, etc. Does yours?

Jun 23, 2018
Hunter 376 Dartmouth
There was a similar thread recently on FB Hunter Owners page ... I have a Hunter 376 .. same issue, no room to run an upside down u-Tube for wires before going through mast step into cabin - I step my mast annually so for years used a gun to squirt clear silicone around the wires in the tube as the mast is lowered the last couple of inches and couple of dabs from underneath.
Last year bought a small tube of pressurized silicon foam from Lowe's .. much cleaner and works! .. Have to loosen before reming mast. Issue is anchor light + steaming light + deck light + wind instrument + radar power + radar data + VHF cables are a very tight fit ...on the plus side, not much silicon foam needed!

Dec 25, 2000
And keep the drain groove in the step plate clean as mentioned.
Hi Justin, yep. A few years ago, during on elf our extended cruises, we were in Sullivan Bay, BC at the dock during a heavy rain storm. I was down below reading a book when I noticed rain water trickling down the compression post. Well, I did the repair back in 2002 and nary a leak since; what is going on. Of course it had been awhile (probably three years or more) since last cleaning out that weep hole in the mast step plate. So, I went up on deck with a long pipe cleaner, inserted it through the hole and out comes gunk followed by a lot of rain water. Remains dry to this day. Lesson learned.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I would take the mast down....caulk all openings the the top and along the sides if possible...on my 35.5 legend if your tube is the same I would put a 90 degree pvc elbow and a loop to prevent any water from coming in and make sure the weep holes are 100% open....a hassle but worth the time and you can inspect everything...

Dec 25, 2000
I would put a 90 degree pvc elbow
The one that I put in was a straight piece of three quarter inch white PVC. Doubt that I could get all our wires through that pipe with a 90 degree elbow. Leaving it straight and have the yard worker put a nice drip loop in the wires before running them through the pipe should work, at least it has for us.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Yes Wes. The PO had tried to stop the leak from inside the boat using lots of Silicon II smeared all over the place. What a mess. Hate that stuff anyway. Still leaked when we took possession. In our case I had to unstep the mast in order to fix the leak permanently. That was in 2002. Remains dry to this day in soggy PNW weather.

If it were my boat I would not fill the inside of the mast step plate with stuff and then drill a hole in the mast base to drain any water accumulation. I'm assuming that Hunter built your model of boat very similar to ours. The mast rests on a cast aluminum step plate that is bolted to the coach roof. In the center is a plastic conduit for the mast wires to enter the cabin. Those wires should have a nice drip loop at the base of the mast to prevent moisture from following the wires into the cabin. The conduit, which should be sealed to the cabin top with a good quality sealant, should extend a few inches above the cabin top to prevent any rain water from pooling and spilling over the top of the conduit and into the cabin. The mast step plate should have a weep hole to allow rain water from the mast head to drain out at the base. That weep hole should be cleaned out each season. Lesson learned.
Hi, where exactly are the weep holes on this mast step plate? I have been looking for them as I have a similar problem and would like to try clearing the weep holes before doing anything more drastic. Much thanks.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
On my Z-Spar mast the weep holes are on the front and sides in the mast base. You can see the one on the front side of the mast in the picture. It is in the center of the mast plate and it is rectangular. You should be able to pusha pipe cleaner into the hole and clean out any debris. Another prior owner suggested drilling a 1/4" hole through the mast and step plate on both sides to create a larger water path.
2015_0118_145303.JPG

Dec 25, 2000
Hi, where exactly are the weep holes on this mast step plate? I have been looking for them as I have a similar problem and would like to try clearing the weep holes before doing anything more drastic. Much thanks.
Wrote and article about the weep hole awhile ago here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

The weep hole is directly above the SS snap in the picture. Faint but it is the dark spot at the base of the mast step plate

May 24, 2022
Hunter 42 Passage Goodyear
Hunter 42 passage- Does anyone have photos of the mast step while the mast was down? Looking for exactly what is going on internally. PO did the whole caulk everywhere. I've tried some weep hole cleaning but nothing coming through when rains. Would like to know where the weep hole in base is on internal side as Im only getting straw cleaner in a couple inches.
Just trying everything possible before having to go to expense of taking mast down just for this.
Thanks,
Noah