Mast Height of Catalina 270

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 270 Longview
Can anyone tell me the height above waterline of a Catalina 270 with a standard mast?
I can find the I measurement, but need to know the height above water.

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Elissatoo. Is this to know if you fit under a bridge? You need close not perfect.

Measure length of mast. Add lengths of any antennas. Use a tape, stand on the deck and measure distance from water to deck. You add these together and you have a rough estimate of height above water. Now add 3 feet to that and you have bridge clearance and a safety factor for the day its breezey and a 2 foot swell is running at high tide.

Sure you could get an exact measurement but why? You are going to need a margin for error just in case. So close plus 3 ft margin and go sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
Doug. That would be about mast length and deck to water level. What about a mast antenna or a wind vane / fire fly?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Under boat information specs for the Catalina 270 it shows 39 feet. Simple way to figure, run a measuring tape up the main halyard and then measure from the base of the mast to water line. This will give you a better idea. Anything on top of the mast like wind vane, antenna or what ever needs to be considered.

Oct 22, 2014
That would be about mast length and deck to water level.
That is what I said Doug. You are correct.

Thanks Dave, for affirming the need to count all of the parts at the mast head.

The Original Poster has not returned to identify why he needs the knowledge.
  • Going under a bridge?
  • Not wanting to hit powers lines?
  • Wants to lay his boat down in the back yard and unsure if the mast will hang over in the neighbors back yard?

So many questions....

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 270 Longview
Thank you to all who have responded to my questions.
No bridges worry about but there is an issue with electrical lines. I appreciate all your responses.

Oct 22, 2014
Good for you Elissa. Power lines and are nothing to mess with.
Give them a bit of space from your mast top.