mast damage at deck mounting plate attachment point

Jun 21, 2013
Macgregor 25 / 26s pugetsound
looking at getting my third Mac, this one had it's mast knocked over by a wire. any good threads or ideas for a repair?
mast damage.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The lease expensive option would be to cut off the bottom of the mast with a hack saw and then replace the height lost by adding a block under the mast foot. I'd recommend trex or starboard or some other type of HDPE product.

Cut out a 2" x 2" piece of trex at what ever thickness you need to equal the amount you cut off from the base of the mast and put it under the mast foot. That will keep all of your standing riging at the same height above the deck. Cut along the red line at a depth that equals the depth of your trex spacer. Then redrill the hole for the mast pin. I'd also recommend that when you drill the new mast-pin hole, you use a bushing to keep it from "wallering".

1632140547933.png

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The more expensive option would be to see if the manufacturer of your mast sells a "sleve" that you can put over it and then rivit and drill a new hole.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto rgranger .......ditto on installing a mast sleeve after cutting the damaged bottom section off. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. See Post #2 in this thread Solution to a Broken Mast?--MacGregor 25 | Sailboat Owners Forums suggests resleeving and welding a custom made lauminum mast base. Might contact Rig-Rite Inc. - Masts, Booms, Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats. (rigrite.com) AND shop.bwyachts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=mast&Submit= for a custom mast extrusion section sleeve for your sailboat.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
We cut the end off of a Catalina 22 mast and added a spacer as suggested. Worked great.

There is of course a third option. Buy a new mast blank from Blue Water Yachts.

$695 USD. Not sure how far you are from them and of course you'll have to reuse your existing hardware.