Solution to a Broken Mast?--MacGregor 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
MacGregor 25 tacoma
Hi folks,

Hope y'all will be patient with someone relatively new to sailing. I have a 1985 MacGregor with a snapped mast (31ft I believe). I live in the Seattle area. The boat is in otherwise decent condition.

Do I:

1) Salvage what I can from the boat & buy another (seems a shame)

2) Try to scavenge a mast from another boat
a) MacGregor 25,
b) MacGregor 24 (same size mast?) or
c) Any similar size boat

3) Buy another mast (extrusion)--if so, tips on where to get this appreciated

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
It kinds depends on what has happened to your mast, but they can be sleeved and welded and work just fine. However, if you buy a mast that has to be shipped, make sure you get insurance on it. When I bought one, it arrived bent and insurance was not offered buy the seller. The injured part was in the lower third and I cut and sleeved - outer sleeve the length of the cut out section, inner sleeve 12-inches longer past both ends of the repair (total = 24-inches longer). If your replacement mast is a little shorter, it will affect whether you need to have the sails cut (another expense) Dwyer can offer a replacement extrusion cut to size if you sent them a tracing of your mast shape. Ist choice would be see what you can find in you local area (and you should have lots of options where you live). BTW, the mast I had was a Catalina for my first Mac.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Tom, a Mac dealer can ship you a replacement at a resonable cost. My problem was no one wanted to risk handling the shipment. An instate dealer tied another mast to a boat he was picking up at the Mac factory.
By the way, much to my surprise,my insurance company picked up the tab

Jul 18, 2010
'88 Macgregor 26D TN River
You may want to try Bluewater yachts. They are in Seattle. I'm not sure if they have what you need. But seeing as they ar close to you it could be worth a try. The sell Mac parts.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
FWIW, I see them on craigslist from time to time...

but I'm too far to ship... check local CL...

pic of mast break? clean or ugly? sleeving is probably cheaper and quicker. and you could shim the bottom a few inches with a block or starboard if its close. (add blocks to deck then reattach mast base).

GL!

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Check with Mike Inmon, one of the MacGregor reps in Southern Ca. Many, many years ago when he owend the dealership in New Orleans he helped me replace the broken mast on my Mac25. We were able to salvage the fittings, shrouds, etc so the cost was only the mast and at that time bearable. his contact info is Mike Inmon
949-642-6830,
1631 Placentia Ave., Costa Mesa, California 92627

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
I would definitely go with the mast extrusion from bwyachts, since they aren't too far away. You may even check to see if they will let you pick it up (just tow your boat down there and place it on top) to save on shippng costs. They list it for $575.
Of course, if you can find one up there from a boat being "parted out", so much the better from a cost-saving POV.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hi folks,

Hope y'all will be patient with someone relatively new to sailing. I have a 1985 MacGregor with a snapped mast (31ft I believe). I live in the Seattle area. The boat is in otherwise decent condition.

Do I:

1) Salvage what I can from the boat & buy another (seems a shame)

2) Try to scavenge a mast from another boat
a) MacGregor 25,
b) MacGregor 24 (same size mast?) or
c) Any similar size boat

3) Buy another mast (extrusion)--if so, tips on where to get this appreciated

Thanks,
Tom
Depending on where break occured sleeving "might" work although I don't recommend it. Stock mast on Mac-25, V-25 & V-24 is 28 ft Sparcraft S-104. Your fortunate to live in seattle, Call Bluewater Yachts 800-688-8626. They specialize in Mac stuff or can steer you in the right direction. Also possible with all the boating in you area you could find a salvage replacement. New or salvaged mast is going to be a lot cheaper than a new boat. Just have to put old spreaders etc on new one. New one shouldn't have any out of place holes, weakens mast. Fair Winds and Full Sails....

abk

Aug 9, 2007
Hunter H 26 Somers Point, NJ
Not to bust up the party of great answers and help available here...

How did the mast get broken???

Maybe we can learn something not to do!!!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Not to bust up the party of great answers and help available here...

How did the mast get broken???

Maybe we can learn something not to do!!!
If we tell you, we have to kill you!!:eek: Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
As mentioned, try Bluewater. They're down on Westlake (west side of Lake Union). They can point you in the right direction.

Aug 14, 2011
MacGregor 25 tacoma
Thanks for great advice!

You folks are a wealth of generous and helpful advice. Some health issues in the family have taken my focus for the last several weeks, but it is time to figure this one out before the NW winter sets in.

I will call the Bluewater folks in nearby Seattle and will look into the sleeving option too. Good to have the SoCal resource too!

Thanks so much!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.