Mast Angle

May 19, 2020
oday 20 carrabelle
I have an Oday 20 A previous owner installed a hinged mast step , which helps in stepping then mast. However the angle of the mast is not perpendicular to the boat. It creates a tilt of about 10-15 degrees toward the back. The backstay is never taught and I wonder if this needs to be addressed. I have never seen another 20 from the side perspective and don't know if this is proper. Can anyone help ?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might find these threads discussing mast rake and tensioning. I am sure the forum will also have recommendations based on their experience and in particular on an O'Day 20.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Does your forestay reach the top of the mast or does it end 3/4 up the mast? If it goes all the way your mast should be straight both to the sides and front and back. If it ends up 3/4 up the mast then it will likely have some bend aft. 10 to 15 degrees would be quite excessive and no, the backstay should not be slack. If you are getting mast pumping or oscillation stop using the boat until the rigging is properly tensioned. Using a level check the hinged mast step to see if it was properly installed. If it is significantly out of level see if it can be corrected or replaced. Do wait to hear to what other Oday 20 might have to say but in the meantime check a few articles on tuning the standing rigging.