Mast a few feet too high for bridge...

Apr 6, 2011
Cal 1-27 backyard
Hello. Please offer any insight. I will read all of the responses and it could help a lot. My sailboat barely gets under a fixed bridge at low tide by approx 2 feet. At high tide, I would be 3-4 feet too tall to get through. Is there anything I can do other than lowering the mast everytime I want to go through or arranging to leave and come back at low tides? Haha I saw this funny youtube video, but I do not think it would actually work. haha Please give any insight on any solutions... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epz6BBZm__0

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
All the time

They use 55 gallon drums on the deck of saiboats to pass under a rail road bridge to go thru lake Okeechobee in Florida,all the time.
Nick

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually, it works quite well. That video was meant to be instructional. It shows them using water weight in collapsible bags. If you don't want to mess with the water bags, hook a bosuns chair with a crew member in it to the mainsheet and swing the boom outboard. Use the main halyard or topping lift to raise the boom if needed.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Hello. Please offer any insight. I will read all of the responses and it could help a lot. My sailboat barely gets under a fixed bridge at low tide by approx 2 feet. At high tide, I would be 3-4 feet too tall to get through. Is there anything I can do other than lowering the mast everytime I want to go through or arranging to leave and come back at low tides? Haha I saw this funny youtube video, but I do not think it would actually work. haha Please give any insight on any solutions... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epz6BBZm__0
As they say Kodak don't lie, but it takes a couple of big cojones to try it.

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
Apparently, it works

I've seen video of other boats doing the same thing so it must work. If a crew member is heavy enough to heel your boat, the bosun's chair sounds like the simplest idea but I would swing it out on the main halyard with a tag line to control how far out it swings and to haul it back in. If your crew member is your wife or girlfriend you might want to re-phrase is as your boat is light enough that even they can heel it over.

You can gauge the mast height by the length of halyard out and the height above the water. Mark your halyard for a length that will get you under the bridge when the ballast is skimming the water. Again, if the ballast is your wife I'd re-phrase that.

Tom

Jul 30, 2010
Hunter 36 West Chazy, NY / Montreal Que.
Tilt with friendly boat

It will provide the same effect of tilting as shown on the clip if you attach a line from your masthead to another boat, which should be in parallel course and same speed in order to have a constant tilt angle.

Sep 25, 2008
Shorten mast

I have gained alot of experience over the years and let me explain.

First, I have successfully launched saiboats over bridges in the past and sold some where the height was a concern. The most daring launch from a bridge involved a Hunter 320 and yes I have pictures of that but too time consuming to post.

Inland boats for example in east TN on Lake Tellico and Fort Loudon, there is a height restriction of 51 feet. The question to my customers was simply do you want to sail or race. If racing, then forget what I am about to suggest.
You can cut the mast so it is lower and based on past performances, it did not really affect the boat that much at all. A good example was the Catalina 350 which I had the mast reduced by 4 1/2 feet as that was a new boat. Since the masts are from Seldene, they will reingineer the mast for you to include the HUNTER and Catalina sailboats. The sails will have to be redesigned but that can be done when ordering a new boat.

As for the older boats, go to a mast engineer and reconfigure your mast and sails. Yes it will cost you but in the long run, you will be glad you did that only if you are a crusier and not a racer. You have to decide.

Fort those who know me, I am now doing the work in the past 25 years of honey do jars. Feel free to email me direct. Take care and may your sails be blessed.

Crazy Dave Condon
davecondon@mindspring.com

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello CNein001,

I enjoyed the video. Heard of the use of weight, but had never seen it used that way.

Three thoughts: (1) the heel will reduce the draft in most cases making the low tide less an issue of draft (bilge keels and wing keels being possible exceptions) We have used a crew member (me) out on the boom to deal with skinny water (ie low tide in slip or SW Florida soft groundings) (2) engine water intake and exhaust would be a concern. Heel to the side of the engine water intake. Smelling burning rubber impeller would not be a good thing during the maneuver and water above the exhaust can't lead to anything good. (3) Thru hull openings that are usually above the waterline might spend extended periods of time submerged and loose items in/on the boat would move dramatically. Plan carefully.

Best Wishes!

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
If this is a once in a life time thing, go for the thrill of trying. If you need to do it often, move the boat. That would be my take.

It's all about probability. If you take the chance often enough, one laps of attention will cost you dearly.

May 24, 2009
Hunter 380 Fort Myers Beach
Ketches usually have lower mast heights, just a thought. A boat trade may be in your future. As for me, anything that makes leaving the dock more work tends to keep me tied to the dock.

Mar 15, 2010
Catalina C-27 Michigan City
We have several options in our area. All have some sort of bridge to worry about. We don't have to worry about tides however, during times of heavy north winds we see an increase in water up the creeks. I recommend relocating to a mooring suitable for your rig.

Jun 20, 2011
Catalina 25 Lakeside
Tilting Masts

There are places with large tidal ranges and low bridges where tilting masts are par for the course. Half the harbor in Santa Cruz California is behind a low bridge. There are quite a number of sailors who moor behind the bridge and have installed a device/system to routinely tilt their masts forward while underway to clear under the bridge. This fact is celebrated in the Santa Cruz Yacht Club Pennant which includes a tilted cross, symbolizing the need for many of their members to do so while sailing.

Here's a posting on another boating forum describing the system they use in detail
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/mast-raising-lowering-systems-38193-2.html

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 30 Sag Harbor
Should work. Shorter but wider and less manuverable.

This should work fine. To get a 53 foot mast height down to 46 feet, you'd need to heel at 30 degrees. Don't forget, you'll be wider, so take a look at the side clearance. In this examle the 30 degree heel would make you 27+ feet wide.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i sailed last yr in gulf of mexico in a sloop with a 55 ft mast height-- i am glad that my next adventure in gom will be in my own ketch with 48 ft mast from keel to masthead, keel being under water line--i can go to places not visited last trip....unless the depth is too short..LOL....but i get to miss out on the experience of using ballast to heel boat to pass under short bridges--looks like fun!!!

Sep 8, 2010
Catalina 30 Santa Cruz
tabernacle no fun

Having just sold my cat30 in Santa Cruz harbor I would have to say if you have other choices you should try them.

While the tabernacle system (mast tilting) was the only choice to get my boat in and out of the North harbor it was nerve racking to use every single time.

Lowering a several hundred pound mast in front of your boat, which then becomes a jousting pole, is not for the faint of heart.

I would often have a hard time relaxing while sailing just knowing I was going to have to go back under the bridge. In my opinion not worth it unless you have no other option and must sail.

I agree with the others who say trade for a different boat or find a new berthing location. There is so much that can go wrong and it only takes one mistake to ruin you rig or potentially even someone's life.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
I was visiting Ireland several years ago when I came upon a strange sight. A canal boat was stopped just before a small stone brige in the center of town. The captain tied the boat and walked over to a nearby pud. Several minutes later, about 20 patrons, pint glasses in hand, exited the pub and jumped aboard the barge. The barge proceded under the bridge. At that time, all the patrons jumped aground and went back to the pub. When I inquired about the stange sight to a local, he told me that sometimes a barge may not fit under the brige by inches and all the locals are glad to help. Of course the going rate was a pint per person.
Jose

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I was visiting Ireland several years ago when I came upon a strange sight. A canal boat was stopped just before a small stone brige in the center of town. The captain tied the boat and walked over to a nearby pud. Several minutes later, about 20 patrons, pint glasses in hand, exited the pub and jumped aboard the barge. The barge proceded under the bridge. At that time, all the patrons jumped aground and went back to the pub. When I inquired about the stange sight to a local, he told me that sometimes a barge may not fit under the brige by inches and all the locals are glad to help. Of course the going rate was a pint per person.
Jose
Nothing like a pint of ''Flat Tire'' for getting under a bridge.