"Mark as read" not showing for individual threads issue

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I also noticed that behavior on both this and the old version. I think Phil is right that it has something to do with the way pages are cached, although for me there doesn't seem to be a difference between mobile and desktop. I'm not complaining mind you. I don't think it's a problem, just an interesting behavior. And to Brian's point, I like how easy the new site makes it to clear the Unread filter and see threads I've read recently. Makes it much easier to re-open a thread if you have a new idea on how to answer it.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
"there doesn't seem to be a difference between mobile and desktop. I'm not complaining mind you. I don't think it's a problem, just an interesting behavior."
I have the same experience and opinion.
Davidasailor - how do you like H de G? I have sailed a few times there with a guy who used to have a fractional ownership in an H 33 at Tidewater, did a chartering course there a long time ago, and have chartered a few times. Recently did a trip in a stinkpot from North East over to that deck bar up the Susquehenna near Port Deposit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That type of behavior occurred in the former version. I agree it is likely the cached page, you back up to. Try to mark the item as "read" then refresh the page. It will be as "read".

Try to go to the bottom of a thread the page and click "Recent Forum Activity". The read page will be gone.
Try to click on a thread with multiple pages and click "Recent Activity" at the page bottom with another page yet to read. The thread will still be there in your unread list, the page that you read will be recognized as read and you will jump to the next page in the thread. These would be posts that you have not yet read.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Davidasailor - how do you like H de G? I have sailed a few times there with a guy who used to have a fractional ownership in an H 33 at Tidewater, did a chartering course there a long time ago, and have chartered a few times. Recently did a trip in a stinkpot from North East over to that deck bar up the Susquehenna near Port Deposit.
We like it and it's a very convenient sailing location for us. We live close by, and it's nice being able to get quickly to the boat to check on things, do a quick project, or go for a spontaneous sail. The mouth of the Susquehanna isn't that big, but it's enough space for an afternoon sail. Most days the wind direction allows sailing one or both ways through the channel out to the Bay where the sailing is unlimited. If we lived further south I think I'd keep the boat down there where other destinations are closer, but as it is we're very happy to have the boat here.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Update with (my) learnings. This is almost certainly a cache issue. If you mark thread(s) read and then refresh the page (swipe down on Android) the threads retain the proper setting. If you use the back button and then re-enter the forum they retain it. If you mark and then open another thread first and close that thread they look like they are now unread, but have been saved in the DB as read, because a refresh of the page corrects the font. Evidently XenForo doesn't do a page update when you close each thread, like it does when you enter that page from elsewhere or of course manually refresh.

My habit is now to either swipe to do a refresh after each mark, or at least every few so I can see what's what.