"Mark as read" not showing for individual threads issue

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
(I figured I'd start an issue oriented thread rather than tagging on to the many messages in the master thread above, which has various issues spread across the forum with no contiguity)
OK, so it seems that "mark as read" for each thread does show on PC based browsers (except maybe if window is too small?) for threads not already tagged as "read". It never seems to show on Android Chrome (I don't know about iOS devices), whether landscape or portrait mode. The ability to look at a forum and mark all threads as read at once (nice feature) does work on both.
The lack on Android may be a non-issue if it works when using the upcoming app. Will something be posted somewhere, or maybe a push message when opening the site, that tells us what app name to search for when it is in the store?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am sure that @Phil Herring will be more than happy to announce the arrival of a healthy baby app. Maybe twins for iOS and the king of all OSs Android.

As for what you are seeing on you device with a browser, Phil has indicated that the screen size is the cause for the missing Mark As Read. On a regular PC/Laptop, this can be replicated by compressing your visible browser size (bring one of the sides in) to mimic the device. When a certain size is met the Mark As Read (on each post) goes away. A few other things go away also, but most notably Mark As Read.

Hopefully the apps will be available soon for the users of smart devices.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@isaksp00 It is always a wonder if someone is actually reading your concern. The thought was to start a thread by Phil and keep all of the comments and issues focused in a single thread. Phil gets "dinged" when anyone leaves a message about a problem. He goes to work trying to resolve the issue. And posts his results.

Maybe it would be good to keep all of the threads together. That way no one gets missed.

Feb 17, 2006
True dat, John, but it is all good. This is why Phil has minions roaming the halls of SBO. This issue is on Phil's plate next to the spinach. But he is still working on the spinach (yuk)!. LOL Actually, I like spinach with a little vinegar. LOL

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
So far I haven't been able to crack the riddle of how the button is hidden when the screen size shrinks. But I haven't given up!

The apps: it's tested, all paperwork, descriptions, logos, are submitted, we have developer accounts open with Apple and Google, and we're just waiting for them to list the apps. I can't say exactly when that will be but we'll definitely make a big announcement when they're ready.

Apr 27, 2010
I (and others) can do it either way, your call as moderator. I just thought perhaps a thread per distinct issue, rather than one monster long thread that has multiple issues all separated by other messages in between, may be easier to deal with, and may prevent others from commenting because they missed an interim message like 62 messages up in the list.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I have my push notifications working so I get an instant banner whenever someone posts a new thread in Site Talk. So long as we keep them in this forum it's all good.

Apr 27, 2010
So far I haven't been able to crack the riddle of how the button is hidden when the screen size shrinks. But I haven't given up!
(Thanks for ALL you've done, Phil. This is better than most commercial site support)
My GUESS: it has something odd to do with the way Xenforo programmed the page(s), but I'm no expert on style sheets, all the most modern versions of HTML, how they handle screen sizes and different device formats, how controls or regions are programmed to hide or show controls as real estate changes, etc.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm no expert on style sheets, all the most modern versions of HTML, how they handle screen sizes and different device formats, how controls or regions are programmed to hide or show controls as real estate changes, etc.
I want all of you guys with coding or sysadmin experience to know how helpful it is! And I am 100% open to suggestions. I'm no expert on style sheets either. And lord protect me from javascript! But we'll get it figured out. :beer:

Apr 27, 2010
It does now on Android, both landscape and portrait. I can't verify iOS. Well done!

Feb 17, 2006
There appears to be an artifact. I will PM you what I see.

Apr 27, 2010
Some more oddness, tho I think this happened also on the old site.
If I click "mark as read" (on both PC Chrome and Android Chrome) I see the message title text change font, and I get the "marked as read" notification. If I then open another thread and after opening it use the back button, the thread I just marked as read is now back to unread. It seems only if I use the back button right after "marking as read", before I open any other threads, and then go back to the same forum does the "marked as read" stick. This also seem to happen if I open a thread as opposed to simply using the "mark as read" button. Have not tried on any browser other than Chrome, so it could be a Google issue.

Feb 17, 2006
I too have noticed that. And, I seem to recall that happening in the previous iteration of the forum. If I hit the backspace I go back to the original version (without a refresh) of that page I left. However, if I go to the bottom of the screen and click on Recent Activities then I am basically going to the page anew, complete with refresh.

Personally I think I prefer this. On Facebook, if I click on a story and then backspace to go back, FB will refresh and any story I did not see will vanish. Not saying this will happen here, but at least when I backspace I am going back to the original page I came from.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That sounds like a difference in the way mobile devices cache pages. The underlying code is the same no matter the device, but I suspect mobile devices cache more aggressively than computers to lighten data use and load times.

If it is a code issue -- the db does record the threads you have viewed to drive those indicators -- it is beyond what we can safely alter. In a codebase this large, a butterfly flapping its wings in Pakistan can delete a thread on anchoring. :biggrin: