Marinco locking ring broke

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
No sailing weekend is complete without breaking something, right? This time it was the black plastic threaded locking ring that secures the female connector to the boat connection. 30A Version. Just broke in half so I went to West and bought a new one. Of course no one there could tell me how the bloody thing fits onto the plug portion. Anyone with experience?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Use the old one with plastic glue, since it is now "split ring".;)
Jim...

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Use the old one with plastic glue, since it is now "split ring".;)
Jim...
Not sure if you were joking, but that will not work. It is not split, but shattered in two larger a nd a couple smaller pieces, not all which can be located.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I was joking a bit. I found the rings to be useless and now love the new EEL clamp on type that "pinch and twist".
The marine "twist on" are ok and should not need more to provide seal.
Why do i say that?
The new EEL type don't weather proof it. Just provide a gentle "clamp on".
Jim...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Add a little soap when you are trying to get it over the raised part of the plug molding.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes Terry, it does. Sometimes the ring won't fit over the female end easily!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Now I am confused, but it does make sense to start from the male end to get it on, threads facing female end and then slide it the 25' all the way to the female end where it resides. Correct???

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Correct???
Not necessary, but if that works for you...
When Marinco sent me a replacement ring, it came with install instructions. It slides right onto the female socket end, the end that plugs into the boat and locks with the ring. Easy peasy Japaneasy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
@odaydokay Perhaps this is the moment to upgrade your fitting and cord to a SmartPlug.
You can use the same wire, only change the boat fitting and swap out the female plug.
Once you go smart plug you'll never go back...
View attachment 152343
Second that recommendation!
One of the best upgrades that I have done. No more fiddling with aligning the female end of the plug and no more dealing with that plastic ring that always wants to cross thread or jam. Much superior conductance also. Highly recommended.!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Tried this AM from the male end and that is no go, so will go to the female end as you suggest. Surprised that it will slide on one direction and then work the other direction to hold the collar on when screwed in, but I am sure if you got it to work it will work for me. Many thanks.
Not necessary, but if that works for you...
When Marinco sent me a replacement ring, it came with install instructions. It slides right onto the female socket end, the end that plugs into the boat and locks with the ring. Easy peasy Japaneasy.
o

Dec 25, 2000
Tried this AM from the male end and that is no go, so will go to the female end as you suggest. Surprised that it will slide on one direction and then work the other direction to hold the collar on when screwed in, but I am sure if you got it to work it will work for me. Many thanks.

o
You're welcome. The socket (female end) tapered molded flange is designed to allow the ring to slide over it, but prevent it from coming off. Even with the old cord that we had, the replacement ring just slides right over the flange and into place. I suppose you can put some lubricate on the flange to help it slide on, but was not necessary in our case. Please let us know the outcome.

Dec 25, 2000
This time it was the black plastic threaded locking ring that secures the female connector to the boat connection. 30A Version.
Our ring broke during a blow, which placed enough strain on the boat end to break the ring. When I later checked on the boat the socket was just hanging from the plug, still supplying juice to the boat. Not sure but I think the wharfinger was fiddling with my spring lines and moved the boat enough to place the strain on the cord.

I have since clamped a piece of three quarter inch nylon strap onto the cord with a carabiner on the other end clipped to a stanchion, as a strain reliever. The strap was once a dog leash that I found on the road during one of my jogs. Never know what you find might may come in handy some day. Yes, and wifey gives me a bad time, too.:solame:

Dec 25, 2000