Marina Restrictions on Boat Use?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hey KG and everyone - it's been a while since I've been here at SBO, and I'm sorry to hear that the trend I've encountered as a boat owner is continuing along those lines.

Regarding Alamitos and Shoreline in Long Beach, CA - as you mentioned, both city-owned and administrated marinas, I unfortunately have some experience with them. When we bought our boat we lived in Long Beach - we learned to sail via the U.S. Sailing center on the peninsula - we of course wanted to slip our boat there. I got on the wait list immediately, and was told that unless I was willing to pay for a 35' slip (for our 25' boat) which was prohibitively expensive and not an option for us (we're not wealthy).

Over the next several years, I was lied to by the Marina department several times; I would call about every six months to see where in the line I was (ie how many in front of me on the wait list) and at one point the woman on the phone laughed at my expressing my frustration at the process and how they kept making me pay a fee every year for the privilege of remaining on the wait list.

This was around when they were replacing the falling-into-the-water docks with modern concrete docks. By they way, speaking of the strict survey requirements, you'd have been harder pressed to find more derelict boats in one place than you used to see over by where Schooner or Later / Westmarine / Joes Crab Shack was - I mean back several years ago when they jerked me around for the wait list.

In Cabrillo where we are now (next door to Alan's Holiday Harbor in San Pedro) they did nickle-and-dime us with the tape measure when we arrived. We only paid for 25' the first month, once they came back with "pulpit and outboard motor" we've been charged at I believe 29' - those 4 extra feet have cost us a lot over the years. And of course we've had once price increase so far. We have a $300k policy (liability only on my $1800 purchase-price 1983 boat) as required by Cabrillo; once we own a home, I'll bump it to $500k.
It’s hard to discover the reasons for some of the rules which may seem arbitrary. For example, if my house (home address) is in Long Beach, and my job is there as well, but the boat is in, say, Ventura, then why would I or anybody else in a similar situation be seen as a potential sneak-aboard/illegal live-aboard? If I take a two-week vacation to my boat, I may get only a few days in the slip; but, if a transient comes in from northern CA he can be end-tied for two weeks while staying aboard.:doh: Is it all about rate differences? The difference between nightly transient rate and monthly slip?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
All the marinas in the SF Bay charge overnighters except those marinas owned by yacht clubs and they offer generally offer 2 - 3 nights free.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
In Cabrillo where we are now (next door to Alan's Holiday Harbor in San Pedro) they did nickle-and-dime us with the tape measure when we arrived. We only paid for 25' the first month, once they came back with "pulpit and outboard motor" we've been charged at I believe 29' - those 4 extra feet have cost us a lot over the years. And of course we've had once price increase so far. We have a $300k policy (liability only on my $1800 purchase-price 1983 boat) as required by Cabrillo; once we own a home, I'll bump it to $500k.
Maybe you should move to Holiday, then! They didn't nickel and dime me here at all (unlike my Alamitos Bay experience recounted in my earlier post). I have an Ericson 26 and so pay for a 26 footer. They have not taken a tape measure to it as far as I know.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The situation in the LB municipal marinas, including ABM, is now different from many others. You are not actually charged by the foot if you’re a permittee for a slip. You are charged by the size of the slip, its area. My boat measures 40’ 1” by the marina’s tape. That “qualifies” me for a 40’ slip. But if I sold the Bavaria and bought a 42’ boat, I could put it in my slip and not pay more. It’s still a 40’ slip that can take up to 44’ 11”.

“Per-foot” pricing makes sense to me only at a long dock. Access to a 75-ft long dock, for example, simply must be priced by the total number of feet that a boat actually occupies, including with its “overhangs”. These physical structures deny other boats use of that space even if only an anchor hanging on a roller at bow rather than a full bow sprit. It adds up. A 44-ft yacht (LOA including overhangs) at a long dock should pay more than a 40-ft yacht as it is consuming more of the available space. But I don’t see why a boat in a slip that only it occupies should pay more if 44 ft than if 40 ft, or if it has a few inches of overhang but still within the confines of the slip. Where’s the logic? No matter what, you cannot squeeze in another few feet of boat. No one is being denied access due to the overall length, etc. I think this is another example of: “Well, that’s the way we’ve always done it (but we have no idea of why).” Even if the origin of “always” dates to the days of sail when commercial vessels tied to long docks; nobody had a “slip.”

The downside is that if you are 38 ft, and normally would go into a “35 ft” slip, but there are none available, you might have to go into a 40-ft slip and pay the full Monty on that one.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The situation in the LB municipal marinas, including ABM, is now different from many others. You are not actually charged by the foot if you’re a permittee for a slip. You are charged by the size of the slip, its area. My boat measures 40’ 1” by the marina’s tape. That “qualifies” me for a 40’ slip. But if I sold the Bavaria and bought a 42’ boat, I could put it in my slip and not pay more. It’s still a 40’ slip that can take up to 44’ 11”.

“Per-foot” pricing makes sense to me only at a long dock. Access to a 75-ft long dock, for example, simply must be priced by the total number of feet that a boat actually occupies, including with its “overhangs”. These physical structures deny other boats use of that space even if only an anchor hanging on a roller at bow rather than a full bow sprit. It adds up. A 44-ft yacht (LOA including overhangs) at a long dock should pay more than a 40-ft yacht as it is consuming more of the available space. But I don’t see why a boat in a slip that only it occupies should pay more if 44 ft than if 40 ft, or if it has a few inches of overhang but still within the confines of the slip. Where’s the logic? No matter what, you cannot squeeze in another few feet of boat. No one is being denied access due to the overall length, etc. I think this is another example of: “Well, that’s the way we’ve always done it (but we have no idea of why).” Even if the origin of “always” dates to the days of sail when commercial vessels tied to long docks; nobody had a “slip.”

The downside is that if you are 38 ft, and normally would go into a “35 ft” slip, but there are none available, you might have to go into a 40-ft slip and pay the full Monty on that one.
Sounds like their policy has changed since I was there. Back in the late 90's, it was the size of the boat or the size of the slip, whichever was greater. Plus, any amount over an even foot--even one inch over--was rounded up to the next whole foot.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sounds like their policy has changed since I was there. Back in the late 90's, it was the size of the boat or the size of the slip, whichever was greater. Plus, any amount over an even foot--even one inch over--was rounded up to the next whole foot.
That’s about the way it was at Shoreline Marina as well, 20 yr ago. Hard to believe sitting here citing situations of 20 yr ago. :yikes: Clearly, there has been “progress.”

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
With the advent of the big cats I can understand why some marinas want to go to square footage pricing.
Every marina or storage facility I've ever been in charges by length. None has, so far as I know, ever measured my boat. Every one has accepted the length I supply on the contract - and believe me I have never included bow rail , anchor or stern appendages. I just used the manufacturers published length. I.E. Ranger 29 = 29'

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
With the advent of the big cats I can understand why some marinas want to go to square footage pricing.
Every marina or storage facility I've ever been in charges by length. None has, so far as I know, ever measured my boat. Every one has accepted the length I supply on the contract - and believe me I have never included bow rail , anchor or stern appendages. I just used the manufacturers published length. I.E. Ranger 29 = 29'
Sometimes it can cut both ways. Dive cleaning also charges by the foot according to the model’s length, even though the waterline length is the relevant metric. I get charged for cleaning 38 ft with only 32 ft of actual waterline. But, I suppose they must consider the actual bottom surface to scrub. There’s no “winning” allowed with sail boats.;)

Last edited: