Manual Bilge Pump Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2010
Islander 28 Bayview
The manual Bilge pump does not work in the O'day 25 that I just purchased. Feels like it is not primed. Pictures attached. The pump exits into the sink drain out the through hull for the bathroom sink.

Here are some questions for anyone that might be able to share some info:

Is it normal to exit pump to sink drain?
The sink drain and the bilge pump is put together with a bunch of clear poly hoses and clamps. While this system does not leek when using the sink, Is adequte to hold a good prime for the pump?

I am not familiar with this type of pump, is it re-buildable?

If I add an electric bilge pump, can I just add another hose to all of these poly hoses and use the same through hole exit?

wow alot of questions, I am a rookie, but I really want a bilge pump system that works dependably!

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
It is called a diaphragm pump and it is the model of simplicity. There are flapper valves at the inlet and the outlet. By some method dump some water into the inlet side and opperate the handle if that doesn't change anything remove the screws that hold the inlet flange and the outlet flange to the pump body. DON"T DROP ANY PIECES. clean everything and put it back together with some water in side. It should suck and blow if the valves are working.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
The diaphragm in those pumps don't last forever.. and are basically just a thin sheet of rubber that gets pulled/pushed with each stroke of the handle. They are particularly prone to cracking and ripping if they are infrequently used (most use them as an emergency backup to their regular electric bilge pump). FIgure out the mfg of the pump and get a rebuild kit, or two so you have a spare.. they are easy and cheap to rebuild.and as Ross said, they are the model of simplicity.. once you have it apart, you will see why.

Cheers,
Brad

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Four Possible Causes - All Easy to Cure

1) Air leak in inlet piping.
2) Foreign material in inlet or outlet valves.
3) Blockage in inlet or outlet piping.
4) Split diaphragm.

It is very important for you to know everything there is to know about your bilge pump so start taking it apart to learn. Don't stop till you understand exactly how it works. One day this knowledge may repay you handsomely.

BTW the location under the basin doesn't look too good for prolonged pumping!

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
It shouldn't need to be 'primed'. I agree with the above posts - it probably just needs to be rebuilt. I had the same situation 2 years ago and it was one of the easiest jobs to do. It can feel like it is ok when you are pumping but all it takes is a little crack in the rubber diaphram to not pump.

Jun 8, 2004
CS 27 - Nova Scotia (Pugwash)
My experiance was to discover I had a piece of wood size of match stick wedged inside that was not allowing valves to open and close at correct times and no suction.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I had to replace the diaphragm on a similar pump on our portable pumpout tank. For the cost of it (not my money), and the fact it was the pumpout, I should have just bought a new pump, saving the old one to rebuild the next time it craps out.

I agree with the hard-to-use location. On a smaller boat, I mounted the pump on a board that I could move anywhere and put the hose to pick up anywhere and discharge into the cockpit or out a port or into the sink or head. I could even used it off the boat. Hopefully, it is not very often you'd use a bilge pump, but I'd wonder if the size of the output hose may also be restricting it's efficiency?

Apr 24, 2007
Oday 25 Chicago, IL
Replacing manual bilge pump

The manual bilge pump on my O'Day 25 broke (the plastic disk behind the diaphragm), but I couldn't find a replacement part. I replaced the whole thing with a new Whale Gusher Urchin pump from West Marine, about $80, which worked better than the original and took the same same diameter hoses. A quick and easy job -- just make sure the hose clamps are tight. Three things you might consider:

First, relocate the pump. It looks like yours is mounted under the sink in the galley. Mine is inside the battery locker on the plywood forward bulkhead. It's much easier to get at. I'm not sure how the electrical is set up on your O'day, but on mine the battery switch is on the same bulkhead. The pump is mounted on the port side of that bulkhead, roughly a foot below the top the locker. Just make sure you can close the top with enough clearance for the pump handle. Also, use nuts and bolts (with a decent size washer) instead of wood screws so that the pump doesn't get loose when you use it.

Second, after you relocate the pump, instead of connecting the discharge hose to the galley sink drain, get a 6-foot hose and keep it loose. When you use the pump, just put the end of the hose over the side. I don't think the drain pipe on the galley sink is wide enough for the amount of water a good pump will discharge, and it's just one more connection you don't need. I have a little bungee hook on the inside of the battery locker to drape the hose on and keep it out of the way.

The third thing is to make sure that the end of the inlet hose is resting on the bottom of the bilge. Mine is actually weighed down by a brick to keep it from floating up. (One last tip: if you store your boat in a cold spot, pump a little bit of antifreeze through the pump before you close up).

I'd stick with a manual pump. They're reliable, last forever and move a lot of water. I only need mine after a big rain storm lets in water through the cowl vents or when I'm emptying my fresh water supply (which drains into the bilge). If you move the pump to the battery locker, you find it much easier to use.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What color is the brick? ;)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that is a guzzler pump...i have three of them ...and bought them from a fellow on line for 35.00 each ....he has more ......he also has check valves for the hoses ....the rebuild kit cost about 39.00.....if you decide to replace the pump contact me here via pm and i will give you his info as to where to get them if you wish.....

regards

woody

ps he has all three styles...bulkhead mounted new style and old style and flat style as well

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
nasty is a bad color for a brick---might want to replace it with a red one.......

Status
Not open for further replies.