Making a mast for a sabot

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
Have you ever heard of someone using a hand rail for a mast . They are almost cut to size already. Keep in mind this is a garage sale boat

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
You lucky dawg. Almost like getting a free boat but not exactly the same. Think of the bragging points when you could say 'I carved my mast from recycled old growth spruce' or ' from a leftover fir 2x4 for that matter'. Is the sail a slipover or a boltrope? if slipover you might just find a 13 foot dowel and be done but if it's a bolt rope then you might find that simply attaching a length of 1/2"PVC to it that's grooved down one side with a saw or a router might fit the bill. Any of these possible solutions may turn you into a wooden sailboat guy and turn you into the depths of your basement not to be seen until groundhog day.

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
Finally almost finished, about 90% complete. I used a hand rail for mast and boom. Not sure how to rig it properly, there seems to be many variations of the same theme as you can see by the pic. I kind of threw it together but next spring I will find out if it all works . Anyway a rigging diagram would be helpful as I am just winging it