Making a mast for a sabot

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
I have a sabot with no mast... don’t ask. I was thinking of trying to make one from a gin pole from a Catalina 30 , it extends to about 12 ‘. And it’s about the right diameter and I do have the sail. Has anyone attempted something similar ?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I made one for a Force 5 out of aluminum conduit. The original tapered so the last three feet was made of galvanized pipe and PVC for the tip. What's the outer diameter that you need?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Most dingy’s are dependent on mask bent. It looks like the Sabot falls into this column. A whisker pole will eliminate that ability and be heavy.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Most dingy’s are dependent on mask bent. It looks like the Sabot falls into this column. A whisker pole will eliminate that ability and be heavy.
I guess I shouldn’t be so absolute. Their performance is dependent on the ability to bend. You could set it up with anything to get across the water. Being a dagger board boat, weight is a legitimate concern also.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have a sabot with no mast... don’t ask. I was thinking of trying to make one from a gin pole from a Catalina 30 , it extends to about 12 ‘. And it’s about the right diameter and I do have the sail. Has anyone attempted something similar ?
Windsurfing mast?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I used fir for the last one I made. Made in two halves so you can route the bolt rope slot then glue it together.

Jan 5, 2017
@9C4A65CE-F44B-4E5F-83C2-B984760E7209.jpeg the plans recommend pine or yellow cedar but.......
they don’t give a lot of detail but I think you can get the idea from this. Mast is 13 feet.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
I love all things wooden boat, we had a little plywood sailing skiff when I was a kid, but I have not the patience, nor the disposition, to build, own, or maintain such as that. But I'm glad some folks do!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had to look up the design. A nice little boat. It is depicted with a sleeve sail and curved mast - presumably from the force of the sail. Since the design was from before fiberglass masts I would think originals were aluminum or even wood. Offcenterharbor has some videos on building a wooden mast. The vid is of a “Bird’s Beak” technique. Way over kill for your case but still useful info on shaping and tapering. You can view a couple of vids without joining.

Jun 3, 2016
Catalina 18 BRANCHED OAK LAKE
Well that brings another question. Does anyone have some plans for building a mast and instructions on how to rig it ? By the way the diameter of the hole it fits into is not 2" but about 1 7/8

Jan 5, 2017
Well that brings another question. Does anyone have some plans for building a mast and instructions on how to rig it ? By the way the diameter of the hole it fits into is not 2" but about 1 7/8
I have complete plans. If you would like a set pm me with your address.

Jan 5, 2017
Will.try to email plans tonight. Taking the ferry into town at the moment