Mainsheet tackle configuration for 1987 C30 MKII

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
Catalina Catalina 30, MKII 1987 Bellingham
The manual that came with the boat, ( a photocopy), indicates a system where there are two swivel blocks on the mast for Mainsheet routing, attachment 1. The set up from the previous owner is missing the upper most swivel block so the line goes to a block on the first bale although there is an attachment point at the mast. I do have a boom vang that is not part of the drawing.
1) How important is the extra block?
2) Should I add the block to conform with the drawing?
2) Is it omitted due to the boom vang and possible interference?
I’m more curious than concerned and would like opinions.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tom
Bellinham,WA
S/V Vagrant

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The two swivel blocks were always wrong, because they ended up making the mainsheet twist. I had the same "issue" with my '86 C34. It's been wrong for a looong time...:)

You should also know about these resources:

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

• Helpful

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I will not install the upper block and note this on my drawing.
Tom

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:

What ever you do, be assured that the lines have a fair lead. Use blocks to turn the direction of the lead. Reduce friction on the line.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
the upper block
I see three "upper block"s. The point being is regardless of which ones you do or don't install, a mainsheet system is NOT the place for ANY swivel blocks.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The upper block at the mast is so the main sheet will clear any obstruction such as a open hatch.
I removed that block so the sheet angles down from the forward boom bale to the bottom of the mast. I do have a vang and it follows that angle but does not interfere with the vang. It does prevent me from opening the cabin hatch completely but I can open it about half way.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I see three "upper block"s. The point being is regardless of which ones you do or don't install, a mainsheet system is NOT the place for ANY swivel blocks.
Yep, Stu explained this to me about 7 years. I purchased new Garhauer blocks that could swivel or be locked into place. I set them and locked them so they didn't swivel.

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
The blocks from Catalinadirect are lockable with a set screw. Btw, on my cat30 the cabin hatch doesn’t interfere with the Mainsheet system or vang.
Thank you all for the info.
Fair winds,
Tom