mainsheet block change

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
islander 34-2 lake michigan
Hi all! I currently have a 5:1 with dedicated cabin top winch and clutch mainsheet set up. I would like to get the sheet to the helm and I'm thinking that i could switch to a 6:1, run the line back to the helm with the jam cleat at the end. Is this crazy? is 6:1 that much easier to control? I suppose that i could just run the 5:1 back, but i feel like i need the winch in decent breeze (maybe) which defeats the purpose.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There's a trade off between increased friction with the block and increase purchase. I'm not certain it would be the extra money.

A clutch probably isn't the best way to secure the mainsheet because it can't be easily released. Jam cleats have the opposite problem, they can be to easy to release. A cam cleat would be a better choice, they are easily engaged and released.

Faced with the same situation, I"d be inclined to replace the clutch with a cam cleat on a small riser before making any changes. If that doesn't work, then look at increasing the purchase on the mainsheet. A cam cleat with a riser will cost less than $50.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I used to have a C&C 110 with traveler on the bridge deck and main sheet controlled by a winch on the cabin top. I moved the traveler aft, to right in front of the wheel and I changed the sheet to increase the mechanical advantage (I don't remember by how much) AND I changed the sheet to be double ended. I could use the winch on the cabin top AND / OR I could use a camcleat at the helm. In moderate conditions I was easily able to control the sheet from the helm. If the wind was up or I was racing and needed that last inch of trim I would use the cabin top winch. That worked out very well and made the boat much easier to sail short handed.

Barry

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Putting the traveler just forward of the wheel is what we had on our J/36. We had a double-ended sheet setup (one line with the ends spliced together) that gave us 8:1 if we pulled on one strand, or 4:1 if we pulled two at the same time. Having the traveler just forward of the wheel enables you to attach the sheet to the end of the boom, which was also our arrangement. This increases the mechanical advantage of the sheet on the boom considerably. You need 5:1 AND a winch now because the sheet is attached to the middle of the boom, which reduces the mechanical advantage of it on the boom. We sailed our J/36 in winds up to 40 or more knots with this setup and never needed to put it on a winch. And the mainsail on the J/36 is a good deal bigger than yours. Moving a traveler is a reasonably big project, however.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
6:1 here as in picture with a cam .. works fine but kind of a reach if singlehanding.
Boom Rig.JPGMainsheet Bottom.JPG