Main track insert question

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
On my 37C, 10" above the boom, the track is open on one side to insert the sail cars. The stop sits just above this which means when the sail cover is on, it sits 10" higher than it could be. If I move the stop down, I risk having the cars fall out of the track. This seems wrong. Am I missing a piece that closes the feed gap or something?
Dan

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, with a Z spar, my mast gate had a plastic plate that would close off the opening. It was riveted to the mast, but had a long hole in it, so it could move up and down the mast to open or close the gate.

Here is a photo with it open and closed.

IMG_1794.png IMG_1793.png

I have since added a Tides Marine Strong Track, so I removed the gate.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Greg

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Rig-Rite sells them, but at ridiculously high prices.

You might try
Mastgates.com. Pretty slick concept. Here is a video of how to install and operate.

They do have a newer version that looks easier to install,

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I have a piece with tapped holes in the mast so I can screw the piece in after the main is raised.
Dan

Apr 24, 2020
Any chance you could post a photo?
This seems to be the answer whether I make when or buy one. I'm surprised it didn't come with something there for this.
Thanks!
Dan

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
10" higher for the sailcover never bothered me. If you do fit some sort of gate, make sure it is easy to open and keep open, because those sail slides have to come out when you reef!

Apr 24, 2020
10" higher for the sailcover never bothered me. If you do fit some sort of gate, make sure it is easy to open and keep open, because those sail slides have to come out when you reef!
That was another issue...now solved!! Thanks!!!