Main sheet length?

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Can anyone tell me the length and diameter of the main sheet? We have in the mast furling if that makes a difference, wouldn't think it would. Looking to replace the mainsheet since it has the same tracer as one of the other lines and my first mate/wife wants it to be a different color. West marine has ropes on sale, 50% off till tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Thanks. I tried the running rigging calculator on this site but there was no mainsheet. Forgot to look there cause they don't have a dedicated 310 page.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Can anyone tell me the length and diameter of the main sheet? We have in the mast furling if that makes a difference, wouldn't think it would. Looking to replace the mainsheet since it has the same tracer as one of the other lines and my first mate/wife wants it to be a different color. West marine has ropes on sale, 50% off till tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike
The Catalina Yachts spec sheet for the 310 says 100’, 7/16”. My rigger replaced ours, but I don’t remember what he used. I could ask him tomorrow.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Lisa, with a new boat, info like line lengths are something you should keep a record of- for next time. Write down what you end up using, as you already have two answers that are 20 feet different.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
The below may help. Note that I reduced the size of the inmast furling line as it makes life a lot easier.(hope this works, as for some reason I can't attach the file separately.
upload_2017-11-27_17-40-30.png

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I stated very clearly in my reply that the 80' answer was "for a short mainsheet, i.e., single-ended."
And if we are to believe the people who actually own a 310, your answer is wrong, even though unintentionally. Actually, the OP should just measure what is there already. Eliminate errors.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
And if we are to believe the people who actually own a 310, your answer is wrong, even though unintentionally. Actually, the OP should just measure what is there already. Eliminate errors.
If you clicked the link I provided you would have seen:
This shorter mainsheet (80' rather than 100') was typically used when the boat is equipped with a single ended mainsheet, i.e. there is a mainsheet cleat on the starboard side of the boat.
Note: The length of this item is based on the original factory specifications. However, the previous owner, like Captain Jack Sparrow, may have had an entirely different idea about how to rig a boat!
But who cares, anyway.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
we have a second jib halyard? , I believe, any thoughts on that, length etc?

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
the OP should just measure what is there already. Eliminate errors.
Maybe, but being the boat is a two hour drive away, one way, that didn't seem like the best option. And even then, how would I know if the previous owner didn't swap the sheet out for something completely off the wall? I guess knowing what the baseline was from Catalina was a step in the right direction and I thank those that posted some helpful information.

Mike

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
My rigger warns me that lines tend to increase in diameter as they age, and it’s easy to replace an old one with something too large. Sometimes bigger doesn’t matter, but it often does.

I think the CD site is incorrect. I’m pretty sure all the 310s are “single ended”, with one line on the starboard side.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When I started buying line for my first boat I quickly learned the costliest line was the one I purchased twice because it was too big for the blocks, too small for the hand or too short for the use.
Then I got a little smarter and bought 1' pieces of line types and sizes I thought would work. That allowed me to test the feel, handling and size of the line before I purchased a full length. If I couldn't take an old line off and measure the length, I estimated the length and added plenty of extra. I would rather cut off 10' of extra line than reorder a line that was too short.
I did have the rigging specs for my boat but maybe that spec for the jib sheets did not account for cross sheeting or the halyard spec did not account from running my lines back to the cockpit.
And as jviss says, you also need to account for how you are finishing the ends of the line.

If you are trying to get line on sale, Defender as a spring sale near the end of March. WM always has a big sale around Memorial Day.
I once asked when was the best time to buy sailboat stuff. I got several replies as to when the repeat sales occurred and planned my purchases to catch those sales.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
My rigger warns me that lines tend to increase in diameter as they age, and it’s easy to replace an old one with something too large. Sometimes bigger doesn’t matter, but it often does.

I think the CD site is incorrect. I’m pretty sure all the 310s are “single ended”, with one line on the starboard side.
My Main sheet is anchored on a pad eye on deck, then runs through all the blocks and terminates through the cleat on the starboard side, I would presume this is single ended

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
jviss

Eye splice or Whipped ??? Why would you need these and if so take that into your total calculation (a couple of extra feet).