Main sheet configuration on a 216

chard

Nov 27, 2019
Hunter 216 Tallahassee
ahoy , on a 2003 Hunter 216 boom there are two blocks going to a single block on the cockpit deck . Has any one reconfigured the original setup to a single block on the boom , with the same mechanical advantage ?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
ahoy , on a 2003 Hunter 216 boom there are two blocks going to a single block on the cockpit deck . Has any one reconfigured the original setup to a single block on the boom , with the same mechanical advantage ?
Welcome to the forums.

I suppose that wouldn't be too difficult to configure. Replace single sheeve with becket block with a double with becket and I think you would have same MA, or maybe just move the other single beside the one with the becket although that sounds like it might get fouled. Then decide on where to connect on boom.

Photo for reference

1D24856C-6105-400A-A36C-36C7FC389469.jpeg

I’m not sure why Henderson designed the boom connection this way, perhaps to not overload on a single point on the boom???

Curious about why make the change though?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My H26 has the single block on the boom that you are suggesting.
Here is a stock photo of the H 260 with a similar setup

1575333465567.png

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
My H216 was setup with a rope traveler by the PO between the transom cleats, as is often shown as a mod on these forums. The main sheet ran from the deck, through both standard blocks (along the boom) and turned at a block on the traveler before returning to the deck, for 1/2 the designed mechanical advantage (I think) as it did not return twice to the deck. It made sort of an arch over the tiller. It worked fine and I never felt overpowered given the sail size and wind conditions that you can use this boat in. Immediately after selling the boat, the next owner returned it to the original design, so there's no accounting for taste. If you just move the blocks, it won't be hard to return to the original configuration if you don't like it.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My H216 was setup with a rope traveler by the PO between the transom cleats, as is often shown as a mod on these forums. The main sheet ran from the deck, through both standard blocks (along the boom) and turned at a block on the traveler before returning to the deck, for 1/2 the designed mechanical advantage (I think) as it did not return twice to the deck. It made sort of an arch over the tiller. It worked fine and I never felt overpowered given the sail size and wind conditions that you can use this boat in. Immediately after selling the boat, the next owner returned it to the original design, so there's no accounting for taste. If you just move the blocks, it won't be hard to return to the original configuration if you don't like it.
Do have a photo of the traveller setup you had?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Do have a photo of the traveller setup you had?
No, sorry. It was just a set of opposing single blocks terminated at the docking cleats, with the ends of the falls led to cam cleats mounted on the inside of the cockpit. The two interior blocks were shackled to a ring in the center, and another single block was attached which served as the halfway point for the sheet. The sheet ran from the normal place on the deck, up to the first block on the boom, along the boom to a block mounted on a bail almost over the transom (this was a new addition), down to the turning block, and back to where it came from at the large snatch block in the cockpit.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The sheet ran from the normal place on the deck, up to the first block on the boom, along the boom to a block mounted on a bail almost over the transom (this was a new addition), down to the turning block, and back to where it came from at the large snatch block in the cockpit.
Thanks for this. I started drawing this out and am stuck trying to understand the part I quoted above.

I have mine rigged as per the manual and the mainsheet starts at the becket of the block on the boom, not on the deck?? Also not clear about the return path from the turning block on the ring?

216 Mainsheet rigging.jpg