Main Halyard Sheave

Nov 15, 2014
Pearson P-34 Norfolk
Hi folks, I need some advice! I recently purchased a 1985 P-34. Both the jib and main halyards where in terrible shape so I ordered new and began the install. I ran messenger lines through with the idea to attach the new lines and pull those through. The jib procedure went flawlessly and in just a few minutes had a nice new jib halyard - I was pleased! Next came the main. I did the same procedure and the messenger line broke where I had attached it to the new halyard. I winched a buddy in a harness to the masthead (using the new jib halyard) and he said both the main sheaves were not turning at all. So the advice I need is this:

1) How should I free the sheaves? WD-40? Should I remove them and enlace them? Can I do this from a harness?

2) How can I fish a new messenger line inside the mast so that I don't have to pull the mast to do the job? I was thinking fishing line with a small weight to pull a new messenger line to ultimately pull the halyard?

I have a buddy who is about 50 lbs lighter than me wiling to go to the top. I've never been up there so if anyone has a photo of they man sheave set up and cares to share that would be great.

Thanks for any advice you might have! Happy Sailing!

Jan 5, 2011
Pearson P-34 Tilghman Island MD
Hi folks, I need some advice! I recently purchased a 1985 P-34. Both the jib and main halyards where in terrible shape so I ordered new and began the install. I ran messenger lines through with the idea to attach the new lines and pull those through. The jib procedure went flawlessly and in just a few minutes had a nice new jib halyard - I was pleased! Next came the main. I did the same procedure and the messenger line broke where I had attached it to the new halyard. I winched a buddy in a harness to the masthead (using the new jib halyard) and he said both the main sheaves were not turning at all. So the advice I need is this:

1) How should I free the sheaves? WD-40? Should I remove them and enlace them? Can I do this from a harness?

2) How can I fish a new messenger line inside the mast so that I don't have to pull the mast to do the job? I was thinking fishing line with a small weight to pull a new messenger line to ultimately pull the halyard?

I have a buddy who is about 50 lbs lighter than me wiling to go to the top. I've never been up there so if anyone has a photo of they man sheave set up and cares to share that would be great.

Thanks for any advice you might have! Happy Sailing!
Hello,
I have a 1986 P34 and I am going to go up my mast this weekend hopefully. if i get up there i will snap a few pictures of my sheaves for you. I am also going to try to borrow a friends Gopro so hopefully I will have some video also that i can put up on Youtube. I will get back to you next week.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
When at the top of the mast you can remove the cap to expose the sheeves.

LouR

Dec 19, 2010
Pearson 33-2 Wing-keel NJ
The easiest way is to find a length of bicycle chain and tie it on the end of the messenger line. It makes a good weight and will get around the sheave easily, and you can fish for it with a coat hanger wire at the mast exit. Make sure the slack is out of all your other lines inside the mast to minimize the risk of wrapping the new halyard around any if them. Good Luck!

Feb 16, 2016
Pearson 1984 Triton 27 New Orleans
All good advice. Rigrite has the sheaves if you need replacements. Ensure the sheaves are correct wire vs rope (V vs. round) as corresponding to
your new halyards. Rigrite was an invaluable research tool for my halyard swap.