Macgregor 26D 1987 project restoration

Jul 3, 2018
Macgregor 26D Trailer Sailor
If the pics uploaded you’ll see a small glass repair to one of the two baby shrouds which was pulled through the deck. I think the PO said it was during an attempted break in. Turns out that the two baby shrouds are not part of the necessary standing rigging but are for support while raising the mast. Much work in progress. It’s a full restoration with many upgrades.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Probably wasn't a break-in. Looks like the PO didn't back the stay strap bolts properly. More like a puff pushed the mast over when he was raising it. Be sure and spread the load out so it doesn't happen again.

Jul 3, 2018
Here you see where the age of the boat requires repair to eliminate further deterioration, specifically to the fiberglass under the gel coat as moisture gets into the long cracks. I’m patching into the fiberglass with thickened epoxy. I’ve been brushing the stainless steel hardware readying it all for reinstalation once the deck and cockpit are restored.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2018
Hey Justin NSA, I think you’re right. The mast step was also twisted. I have a new one. I’ve contemplated how to slip a backing plate behind it but it’s a pretty tight location. My repair is a fiberglass with epoxy repair so I think it’s stronger than original.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's a pretty sure sigh what happened. I added the stays on my Mac26S. I used big stainless washers. I forget how big you can go and still find the plastic caps to cover the holes.
Before you fasten the mast step back down, think about whether you plan to lead lines aft or not. You'll want to sandwich in an organizer plate to attach turning blocks if you do.

Jul 3, 2018
I am going to lead the main halyard aft and I have a double block plan that will attach to the mast and lead to starboard to another double fairlead. I will most likely use the second fairlead for the daggerboard line initially since I’m installing a furling system for the jib.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That should work. Be sure to route the lines around the pop-top so they won't interfere when you want to raise it. I used the mast plate, deck organizers and clutches when i did mine. I don't think the new-to-sailing buyers appreciated all of the hardware they got. I got my price though.

Jul 3, 2018
Cool, I have a rope clutch to go with. I did consider an organizer but perhaps another time. No worries re the pop top. My thoughts have been to not install a down haul because of the pop top but I’m reconsidering this and may go with a down haul after all, but I like the idea of sailing with the pop to up, which the down haul would prevent. Still undecided.

Jul 3, 2018
Some pics of where my 26D is in the restoration. Solidifying the hairline cracks is proving to be somewhat time consuming, but I think it’s necessary to preserve the structural integrity. Some of the underlying fiberglass was weakening. Not much, only in the cockpit. All the hardware is off and most of it is cleaned, brushed, buffed, with upgrades is ready and waiting for re-installation after prime, paint, and nonskid.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2018
Jul 1, 2018
Macgregor 25 New London
I'm jealous. I hope my hull paint comes out as good as yours. My boat is taking so long to complete. I got it in about the same condition as yours. One job at a time.

Jul 3, 2018
I can offer a few suggestions. First I cleaned with acetone and sanded with a 5” orbital sander to 320 grit. Then I cleaned with Epifanes prep thinner and primed with Epifanes primer. Next I sanded and cleaned again. Then I painted using a thick badger brush with Epifanes yacht enamel thinned with Epifanes thinner about 1/10. The key is to load your brush and stroke in one direction flipping the brush in your hand with each stroke from the top of the freeboard on down from left to right if you’re right handed, keeping a wet edge on your right as you progress around the boat. Brush strokes were consistently around 24” long. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018
Here are a few more current photos. Now re-installing new and refurbished hardware and starting the inside cabin prep and paint restoration, ice blue. I’m using butyl tape for the bedding of the hardware.

Attachments

Jun 29, 2020
Macgregor 26d Stuart, Florida
Your pictures and rebuild look great. Do you have any updates? I recently purchased an '89 MacD. It's not in the poor condition yours was when you first started posting, but there are some issues I'd like to resolve ASAP. Wondering what you did to the cabin and if you kept going or ran out of steam.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Looks beautiful! Did you paint over the non skid? How's the traction?