Macerator vs non-macerating discharge pump

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
What are the pros/cons of a impeller type macerator discharge pump vs a bellows/diaphragm NON - macerating waste discharge pump?

My '87 Irwin 43 came to me setup without the ability to discharge the holding tank overboard - once the waste goes into the holding tank, it can only be pumped out at a pump out station. I'm installing one of the two types of discharge pumps so that I'll be able to pump the tank overboard without the need to visit a pump out station.

Sooo...
What are the pros/cons of a impeller type macerator discharge pump vs a bellows/diaphragm type NON - macerating waste discharge pump?

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Once the stuff gets through the foot valve and the joker valve at the head pump bottom, it'll be almost macerated anyway; it will disassemble in the holding tank from the boat motion, and the final trip through the diaphragm pump's check valves will pretty much finish the job.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's really no need to macerate tank contents 'cuz solid waste is already 75% water...is broken up by a manual toilet, is already macerated by an electric macerating toilet, and so dissolves very quickly in water...and so does quick-dissolve TP.
So go with the electric diaphragm (non-macerating) pump....the Dometic/SeaLand T-Series pump is the best...a little pricy until you consider that they last forever (the one on my own boat was 11 yrs old and still going strong when I sold the boat) with almost -0- maintenance, plus they can run dry for quite a while without damage or need to replace anything.

--Peggie

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
There's really no need to macerate tank contents 'cuz solid waste is already 75% water...is broken up by a manual toilet, is already macerated by an electric macerating toilet, and so dissolves very quickly in water...and so does quick-dissolve TP.
So go with the electric diaphragm (non-macerating) pump....the Dometic/SeaLand T-Series pump is the best...a little pricy until you consider that they last forever (the one on my own boat was 11 yrs old and still going strong when I sold the boat) with almost -0- maintenance, plus they can run dry for quite a while without damage or need to replace anything.

--Peggie
Thank you! ...and very best regards!

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
And since I'm in there.....I'll be replacing the holding tank and I suspect the Dometic HTS-HRZ basic series of tanks is as good as it gets....true?

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I took Peggie's advice and installed the T series pump to replace the macerator which seemed to require replacement every couple of years. Just installed it so have no feedback on it yet except that it is much larger than a macerator and requires a 5 foot larger diameter extension on the discharge line when installing. Seems like a much higher quality pump and it is pricey at just over $400. Will see how it performs during our next cruise in the fall/winter.
bob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And since I'm in there.....I'll be replacing the holding tank and I suspect the Dometic HTS-HRZ basic series of tanks is as good as it gets....true?
Nope...Ronco Plastics is....they make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks (in fact they make some tanks for Dometic/SeaLand) for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with. Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is their current catalog. However most people find their previous catalog a lot easier to search so they've left it up Ronco Plastics old marine catalog

As long as you're replacing the tank, this is a good time to replace the hoses too. Raritan SaniFlex has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like hairpin without kinking...making installation a whole lot easier! RaritanSaniFlex hose You can find it for <$10/ft.

And finally...a new tank should have an excellent tank level indicator. I recommend this one Scad Tank Monitors The senders go on the outside of the tank, so they can never clog.

--Peggie

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
Nope...Ronco Plastics is....they make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks (in fact they make some tanks for Dometic/SeaLand) for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with. Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is their current catalog. However most people find their previous catalog a lot easier to search so they've left it up Ronco Plastics old marine catalog

As long as you're replacing the tank, this is a good time to replace the hoses too. Raritan SaniFlex has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like hairpin without kinking...making installation a whole lot easier! RaritanSaniFlex hose You can find it for <$10/ft.

And finally...a new tank should have an excellent tank level indicator. I recommend this one Scad Tank Monitors The senders go on the outside of the tank, so they can never clog.

--Peggie
And again ... I tip my cap ... Thank you!

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze

--Peggie
Just to make sure...the SCAD website shows two models of monitors - I believe you're recommending the TM Monitor (not the Legacy) - correct?

Last item (I believe) is - who makes the best Y valve.

...and again - Thank you!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Just to make sure...the SCAD website shows two models of monitors - I believe you're recommending the TM Monitor (not the Legacy) - correct?
Correct.

Their "legacy" monitors were the Profile System made by Ferriello Sales, which SCAD sold under their own private label brand name. They were discontinued when Dennis Ferriello, who owned the company, passed away several months ago...SCAD now only provides repair parts and tech support for them for as long as their inventory lasts.

An btw...if you don't already have my book (see link in my signature), you might want to pick up a copy. "Installing a holding tank" and "replacing a toilet" have information that makes the job a LOT easier (and not at all messy or stinky. Just saying...

--Peggie

Last edited:

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
Correct.

Their "legacy" monitors were the Profile System made by Ferriello Sales, which SCAD sold under their own private label brand name. They were discontinued when Dennis Ferriello, who owned the company, passed away several months ago...SCAD now only provides repair parts and tech support for them for as long as their inventory lasts.

An btw...if you don't already have my book (see link in my signature), you might want to pick up a copy. "Installing a holding tank" and "replacing a toilet" have information that makes the job a LOT easier (and not at all messy or stinky. Just saying...

--Peggie
Thanks - ordering the book today.

Are all Y valves created equal - or is there a preferred brand and model?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Assuming that you'll be ordering the tank from Ronco who'll instal the fittings in the sizes and locations you specify...If the only y-valve will be in the holding tank discharge line, you can eliminate it by spec'ing TWO discharge ports in the tank--one for a line directly to the deck pumpout fitting, the other to go directly to the overboard pump and thru-hull.

If you'd like some help selecting the best locations for the fittings, or even the tank itself, send me a PM...I'll be glad to do that.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Where in the world did you find that painting??? Or did you paint it? Believe it or not I've actually seen worse! If I PM you my email address, would you please send me a hi-res version of it? I may frame it and hang it in my office although it's not a marine toilet.

--Peggie

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
Assuming that you'll be ordering the tank from Ronco who'll instal the fittings in the sizes and locations you specify...If the only y-valve will be in the holding tank discharge line, you can eliminate it by spec'ing TWO discharge ports in the tank--one for a line directly to the deck pumpout fitting, the other to go directly to the overboard pump and thru-hull.

If you'd like some help selecting the best locations for the fittings, or even the tank itself, send me a PM...I'll be glad to do that.
Thank you!

I'll have Ronco do as you suggest - two discharge ports on the top of the tank with internal standpipes. The only Y valve will be if I plumb the toilet discharge hose to a Y valve allowing me to select direct overboard flushing or with a twist, flush into the holding tank.

If I do plumb a Y valve/diverter is there a model that you recommend?

Thanks!