Mac classic trailer axle

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Sumner, I also understand that the disk brakes are somehow all self adjusting even with wear?

I had replaced the hydrolic lines in the past so they are still good. I looked at the electric back up actuator as I do have to back the trailer uphill to get it into the side yard but I will just use the manual pin. The super hot summers here do strange things to little mechanical contraptions.. the manual lockout pin will be one less thing I have to worry about going bad.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Good deal on the lines. That saved you some money.

Sumner, I also understand that the disk brakes are somehow all self adjusting even with wear?
Yep you don't adjust disc brakes. The pads barely go off the rotors when you release the brakes so they are always in adjustment, or should be,

Sumner
==============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I "think" Im done now.. I likely had this before but now Im sure I have 3500 pound hubs and bearings to go with the load range E trailer tires (15 inch). I drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the surge coupler for the backup lockkout. One hole is placed so I can put a temporary bolt that disables the surge mechanism so I can back the trailer up and the second hole is a place to keep that bolt where its out of the way.. Ive have never weighed the boat on the trailer (guess under 3000 but not much under 3000) but it will tow with a spare tire up front, outboard on the transom, two golf cart batteries under the Vberth and sometimes two to four one gallon frozen jugs of water in the ice chest. Plus a bunch of extra stuff like the BBQ, heater, etc. But when towing I just keep things like jugs of water, gas, supplies in the back of the truck. You have to be more concerned with overall balance and tongue weight with the single axle trailer and the spare tire plus batteries up front are enough to counter the outboard on the transom and you need to get the boat up at least close to the bow stop. The only time I have had trouble with this trailer was nearly ten years ago and the last time I had messed with the bearings and didnt get the lug nuts on tight enough. The lug nuts worked loose (bad thing LOL) and I lost one of the tires. If you have adequate tongue weight, the trailer, it still tows stable with the wheel gone. Now I will check those lug nuts fairly often especially on my first towing trip.

trailer_done1.JPG
trailer_done2.JPG
trailer_done3.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Did anyone find a purchasable axle that is the exact same as the one that came on it? I would like to replace mine but don't have the welding skills needed. Northern tool has some but just not sure how to verify dimensions.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
There are sites where you can get an axle any length you want for a reasonable price, the freight can be a killer though. A general welding/ trailer shop could also make one up probably for not that much. Also if they ordered one and it came in on a truck with their other trailer supplies the freight would be much less than what you would pay,

Sumner
===============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There's very likely a trailer parts place within spitting distance. Check for utility trailer mfgrs or larger rv trailer repair places and ask.
This axle isn't that far away from a regular rv trailer axle, but the measurements are critical if it's to be a bolt on replacement.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Did anyone find a purchasable axle that is the exact same as the one that came on it? I would like to replace mine but don't have the welding skills needed. Northern tool has some but just not sure how to verify dimensions.
"Critical dimensions" are from one wheel mounting surface to the other. and the distance between the spring locating pins. also the amount of drop in the axle. most trailer axles will be the Ford bolt pattern (5x4.5"), but ck that to verify also.