Mac 26D - Trailering - provision for Rudder and Mast Support.

tbertw

Feb 26, 2020
MacGregor 26D Conroe, TX
I have a new to me, 1988 MacGregor 26D. I am getting it ready for "trailer sailing". Does any one have concepts or pictures of:
1. Where to put Rudder when Trailering?
2. Can mast support be integrated with the Rudder Storage while trailering?
3. All advice and pictures are welcome.

Tim - Spring, TX (Spring has a boisterous suburb to the South called Houston)

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Take the rudder off when trailering. Buy another pair of rudder pintles, and attach them to a 2x4, and put the assembly in the gudgeons on the stern of the boat. make a v-shaped end for the 2x4 to hold the mast.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Take the rudder off when trailering. Buy another pair of rudder pintles, and attach them to a 2x4, and put the assembly in the gudgeons on the stern of the boat. make a v-shaped end for the 2x4 to hold the mast.
:plus:That is exactly how my old Mac 22 was set up.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a new to me, 1988 MacGregor 26D. I am getting it ready for "trailer sailing". Does any one have concepts or pictures of:
1. Where to put Rudder when Trailering?
2. Can mast support be integrated with the Rudder Storage while trailering?
3. All advice and pictures are welcome.

Tim - Spring, TX (Spring has a boisterous suburb to the South called Houston)
Welcome to the forum. The 26D is a fun boat.

tbertw

Feb 26, 2020
MacGregor 26D Conroe, TX
Then do you put the rudder inside the cabin or cockpit?

Thanks for the reply!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Then do you put the rudder inside the cabin or cockpit?
I trailered my Mac 25 with the rudder laying in the cockpit, tied to the mast crutch to keep it from sliding around. Too unwieldy to finagle through the companionway, especially with the mast down.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I leave the rudder on, but make sure that it is double or triple tied up. I also secure the tiller so it doesn’t flop side to side. I also leave my motor on and up so the mass is almost directly over the transom. The motor has a theft deterring cable that also secures it to the boat. For the mast I made a T out of 4x4 that fits in the mast step. On top of the T is a piece of foam insulation to cushion.

I have a roller furler and have used pvc pipe to extend in front of the boat so I can tie the furler with sail to the mast. I think I posted pics on this forum some where. Recently someone posted a Cadillac version of what I did.

Bungee’s with balls are your friend. Buy a pack every time you find them on sale. I probably have 25 or so. A little off topic, but I use four for the mainsail, and it seems a couple of times a year, someone will let go of one and it shoots into the water. Surprising how fast they sink.

I don’t trailer every weekend. It’s about 90 minutes to my “home” lake where I have a slip, once or twice per year. On top of that I usually make a longer trip to either Mississippi, Chicago, or central Michigan from my home near Cinti, Ohio.

I’m number 3 on the waiting list for a slip in a marina in Bradenton, Fl, so that will likely be my next big trip.

Oh, and welcome to the 26D club!

tbertw

Feb 26, 2020
MacGregor 26D Conroe, TX
I leave the rudder on, but make sure that it is double or triple tied up. I also secure the tiller so it doesn’t flop side to side. I also leave my motor on and up so the mass is almost directly over the transom. The motor has a theft deterring cable that also secures it to the boat. For the mast I made a T out of 4x4 that fits in the mast step. On top of the T is a piece of foam insulation to cushion.

The 4x4 over the mast step sounds neat. I have an unused set of 2x4 brackets at the aft end of the cockpit. I think that is a good place for the top of the mast while trailering.
Cockpit Mast Bracket.jpg
Cockpit Mast Bracket.jpg

Dirt is from former owner, I will add mine on top of his!!!

I have a roller furler and have used pvc pipe to extend in front of the boat so I can tie the furler with sail to the mast. I think I posted pics on this forum some where. Recently someone posted a Cadillac version of what I did. 35 years ago, I had a Clipper Marine 26 with roller furling on the jib. Hope to repeat that 26D this season.

I am not that familiar with this form and I will search for your pictures. If you can find the post and share a link, I would appreciate that.

Bungee’s with balls are your friend. Buy a pack every time you find them on sale. I probably have 25 or so. A little off topic, but I use four for the mainsail, and it seems a couple of times a year, someone will let go of one and it shoots into the water. Surprising how fast they sink.

Wife is a quilter, so I have access to her sewing abilities and machine. Thinking of 1" wide webbing and Velcro for the random ties required for trailering.

I don’t trailer every weekend. It’s about 90 minutes to my “home” lake where I have a slip, once or twice per year. On top of that I usually make a longer trip to either Mississippi, Chicago, or central Michigan from my home near Cinti, Ohio.

I’m number 3 on the waiting list for a slip in a marina in Bradenton, Fl, so that will likely be my next big trip. Hot room for "crew"?

Oh, and welcome to the 26D club!
Thanks for the response!