Mac 26D Bilge/ Laz Question

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Hello fellow Macs,

Away from my boat and stuck at home up here in NY and was just wondering if anyone knows if the laz is open to the rest of the boat's bilge areas or if it's sealed off? Was thinking about ordering a couple pumps, but wasn't sure if those areas were connected.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a 26S for 10 years. I'm 99.9% sure it is open. Some folks seal it off to block fuel fumes so every boat is different.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
On my 26D the laz is sealed off all the way to where the top and hull gap is. The laz would hold 2+ feet of water before spilling forward.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
I've got to take out a well designed and installed propane system and a way bigger than I'll need fuel tank to get down in to check. just seems like there is always a ton of water back there. it's still on the trailer, so it's not from sitting in water, only good thing is I figure if I holds water in, it'll hold water out. lol

Oct 20, 2019
Macgregor 87 26D Lake Mohave
The most likely place water is getting in there is either from the Laz lid, or more likely, from the cockpit/motor well drain hose leaking. My 26D had a very poorly done hose replacement from a PO that leaked badly. Lucky for me the Laz was completely empty (other than 10 gallons of water) when I got the boat, but still a PITA to get down in there the replace the hose system. Btw, I am planning to glass in the motor well drain and drill a new drain hole with a brass sleeve through the transom, like almost all outboard boats with wet wells have, to eliminate the tee fitting inside the Laz. The back stay chain plate could also leak, but would be a very minor amount. Probably do not really need a pump in there, once the source is eliminated.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I've been working on my 1990 26S and can tell you that mine has no openings to the underside of the cabin area that would allow the underside of the cabin to drain into the laz.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
I was thinking if glassing in a PVC elbow at the motor well to just have it run out the transom, no sense in allowing more water to come inside the hull than need be. Was hoping this weekend will allow me to yank the fuel tank and propane locker system so I can actually get in there to look around. Today is get the motor running day. ::fingers crossed::

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
I have my bilge pump under the starboard bench in the salon, it’s the lowest part of the boat in the water. I use the sinks thru hill to discharge. The cockpit drain is definitely an engineering disaster. There are a couple of small holes through the laz bottom that drain forward if I get water back there.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
Additional suspects could include: the rub rail , cowl vents, and the trim piece for the
motor well. On ours the transom and deck skins came a little unglued beneath the trim ring.
Happily dry now after removing the trim piece, re glueing skins and back together.

Took a lot of trips out in the rain climbing into the laz to figure it out though. Luckily
we're in the backyard

Best Regard

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Today's progress! I got the seaward propane system and the 18 gallon fuel tank out, next is re plumbing the drains and installing a pump to help fight back the rainwater collection

IMG_20200415_160054.jpg
IMG_20200415_160100.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018
I’ll wager that you won’t see enough water to pump after you fix that drain hose. I ended up using a reinforced pool vacuum hose to help support the weight of the water in the line. The bottom of the laz may get damp but you shouldn’t get any standing water. It’s not a comfortable place to work lol.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
It certainly isnt. lol Im just really surprised how much water collects in there, and in the bilges in general. I tried to level out the trailer a bit more yesterday and was shocked with how much water came forward. The only saving grace I figure is that since the water is pooling inside, technically that means that it should keep water out since it seems to keep water in. :)

Aug 21, 2018
That was exactly my thought last year when I was getting her ready. Fix the drain and other things before you consider putting in a bilge pump. The lowest part of an 88 26D. Is under the starboard bench in the salon.