Lubrication required for hunter 216 rudder assembly ball bearings?

Nov 4, 2019
Hunter 216 Deer creek reservoir, UT, US
Hi

I have a hunter 216, been sailed twice in 15 years. I inherited from my Dad. It’s been dry docked on trailer for this whole time.

Should I lubricate the rudder ball bearings? If so, with what and where can I purchase?

THANKS

DAVE B

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can't hurt. I'd use a silicone based water proof lubricant... there are marine grade lubes but water proof bicycle lube is essentially the same stuff but cheaper.

Something like this...

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hi

I have a hunter 216, been sailed twice in 15 years. I inherited from my Dad. It’s been dry docked on trailer for this whole time.

Should I lubricate the rudder ball bearings? If so, with what and where can I purchase?

THANKS

DAVE B
Welcome to the forum.

There are some old links on this forum with a mixture of opinions on this.
Some of the earlier cassettes had some issues that I think over time Hunter corrected. I believe the “bearings” are just little balls made from Delrin so in theory no lube required but obviously 15 years of sitting isn’t “normal”. If I was doing it I would use a little Sailkote.

Does the rudder handle move or is it just stuck?

The cassette on mine has a bit of friction that I like. Assuming I have sail trim right I can let go of the tiller for brief periods and the boat tracks straight.

If you think you need to pull it out to inspect here are instructions that came from Hunter.

7B547C6F-8C0A-4277-A4F8-E4DAC59D25A2.jpeg

Last edited: