Lubricant for impeller

Dec 7, 2017
Hunter 326 Holiday Marina; Lake Lanier
I have heard that I should lubricate the impeller on my Yanmar 2GM (Hunter 326) when I replace it. I have also heard to not use a petroleum based lubricant.

So, what should I use and where can I get it?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@justsomeguy is right - only needs to "lubricate" until it starts pumping water. I've used just a smear of KY when replacing one, or dish soap, whichever is convenient. @jssailem have you ever checked if the silicon lubricant is still there after a little while running the engine? I'll bet after an hour it is all washed away anyhow.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
what about WD40??
I'd worry about anything with a petroleum base eroding the plastic impeller. Probably such a small amount and it would get washed out quickly, but why risk it with your new $20 thing. Also, you only need the lubrication for four turns until water starts washing into the pump.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Glycerin is what the impeller manufacturers suggest and ship many impellers with. Dirt cheap at any pharmacy.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Not so chosey sailors use dish soap because they always have it on hand.
And it works fine, I like looking for the exhaust soap bubbles at 1st start up, strange but very satisfying habit.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Any lubricant added to the impeller will only last for a very short time. It is one of those recommendations that sounds like it will do some good for the initial startup after replacement, but no one knows if it provides any measurable benefit I have not seen it included as an installation step in any shop manuals. Once you open the seacock water will flow into the pump to prime it. The worst enemy of the impeller is heat and water will keep it cool and will greatly reduce friction on the vanes. Would not worry about it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Johnson (OE supplier to many engine manufacturers) supplies glycerin right in the impeller kit..

810-B1.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I tried auto and hardware stores and I haven't found glycerin. I do get some strange looks :huh:
When I search for glycerin on Amazon I get many sex lubes that are glycerin free.