Low idle 3gm30f

Dec 19, 2018
Bristol 29 Lake Lanier
I have gotten my new to me 3gm30f running after it sat for 15 years. All I have done is replace the primary racor filters, the secondary filter, air filter element, oil and oil filter. I am pulling fuel from a 3 gal gas temporary tank until I finish cleaning the old monel tank. With the throttle lever at idle position tach shows 2000 rpms, steady rpms but seems to shake a little too much. Smooths out and looses shake at 2300 and sounds great all the way to 3500. Seems to have more in her but did not push her over 3500 for now. I went below and adjusted the throttle stop bolt/screw to get below 2000 rpms. I got to 1400 but anything below would cause the motor to stall out, first shake badly, then stall. My suspicion is that she is fuel starved at low rpm, or my tach is wrong, with my gut telling me the former. I am inclined to buy a photo tach to rule out the later, but my bet is that the tach is not the issue. Thanks for all feed back. Matt

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My guess would be the tach. Someone would've really needed to play with the idle to get it all the way up to 2000. Also a diesel isn't like a carbeurated gas engine with high and low speed jets. If it can get enough fuel at higher speeds it should be able to do so at lower speeds too.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
1. If you are running outside the normal fuel supply system, have you then omitted the lift pump? If so, the injector pump might be struggling to get fuel at low rpm.
2. Some of those old Yanmars have the bottom of the throttle as the stop position. That is, put the throttle to the bottom to stop the motor.
3. Motor has been sitting. Fuel system clogs may lurk where you haven't yet looked, plus injectors may need cleaning.

Last: you said "gas" can. I'm sure there's diesel in the can :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
How are you measuring RPM?? Tachs run from the alternator can be way off. Get a $30 optical tach at harbor freight and check your real RPM before too much adjustment.

Dec 19, 2018
Bristol 29 Lake Lanier
Leslie, tach is measuring at flywheel, not alternator, but I still plan to check with laser.
Skipper, I am running the fuel from an actual temporary plastic gas tank (with diesel :)), return fuel line is directed to main monel tank for now. The lift pump is in the loop (but it is possible that is not doing its job at low rpm...). Re. engine stop, it is not attached to throttle - it is separate and, from what I can tell, stops fuel flow to stop engine. Injectors likely need cleaning - is that a big job?
Thank you all.
Matt

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I'd say pull the injectors and have them rebuilt. I just did mine and she went from trying to jump off the motor mounts to purring like a kitten. An extremely loud and clattering kitten, mind you. But so much better.

To reinstall your rebuilt injectors, you'll need:
3 124950-11450 GASKET, CHAMBER
3 24341-000260 O-RING 1A S-26.0
6 23414-080000 GASKET 8, ROUND

Torque the pipe joint bolt to between 112 and 147 inch-lbs. Don't screw up the conversion from newton-meters like I did or you'll also need 3 105582-59150 BOLT 8, PIPE JOINT, and a bolt extractor.

Mike

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018
Bristol 29 Lake Lanier
Thanks Mike, checking on those parts now. And thanks for the conversion warning - a mistake I would make. Matt

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
simple. it's either injectors of fuel pump assuming the compression is normal.
it's cheeper to start with injectors
just had my fuel pump rebuilt last summer. it was the second time for my 50+ year old perkins 107. ain't cheep, but what is?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Good info here. But do find a way to get accurate RPM readings before you spend money on anything. That engine has not been started in 15 years ! It could be gummed up from the lift pump to the HP pump to the injectors, including the fuel lines !
Please refrain from pushing it neutral ! Engines are made to work under load. With the correct prop and everything in good order, those 3GM30F will rev to 3400 or 3600 under load and that is normal. Higher or lower means wrong prop or something else causing the problem. I would get a second jerry can and run the return line to it to see if there is something in the fuel being returned as the engine is brought to normal operating temp. Good luck

Dec 19, 2018
Bristol 29 Lake Lanier
Claude - thank you. Good thought to rig a second jerry can and have a look. I will check RPMs too.
Matt

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I second Claude's statement.. The Yanmar spec is 850 rpm for idle.. The tach is notoriously inaccurate, so an optical tach check is necessary..