Losing your cool

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34MKII 1717 Merritt Island, FL
I have an adler barber 12v box. Takes a while to get cold but works fine. No Ice.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I have tried plain ole ice in the ice box but that only last maybe half a day. I have meant to experiment with dry ice but have not gotten around to it yet.
Hi Brian, our first boat, an H28, had a Large cooler where I would use dry ice. What I did was pour two bags of ice as a bed on the bottom, followed by a brick of dry ice, then two bags of ice poured on top. This would last a full week. Care must be used due to the carbon dioxide released by the dry ice. Good ventilation very important.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I wish I could contribute to this thread with reasonable data but I can't really. So this is a response to mainly follow along. I hope there is more.

Most of my own boats, inluding my current one, all have had ice boxes. They all seemed to be decent enough for like weekend trips but heading into longer trips then included the search for more ice.

I have sailed on boats with refrigeration systems but none made want to run over and write down what they were so in a future boat that would be the one of choice...

Refrigeration remains an enigma to me. What systems out there can really run well for long time periods without shore power? Systems that don't have a lot of power draw such they can be added into a boats systems and be sustainable? I'd also like freezer capabilities. I realize my demands are not the main stream. But that's where I'm at.

dj

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
And during a three month + cruise of the Bahamas I just did without :)
IPA was originally brewed to be drunk warm. Stouts are pretty good warm. If you can't enjoy them warm, you don't actually like ales.

I can think of some beers that need to be drunk really cold. Better yet, not at all.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Still using the ice box. A 21lb bag of ice usually lasts all weekend, from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening. Adding refrigeration is on my project list.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Watch out, slippery slope ahead. Those of you with ice boxes who are considering adding a refrigerator system. First you add the system and marvel at the cold beer now available on demand. Second, you realize you need another bank of batteries to run the fridge. That may cost you more than the fridge. Third, you need more alternator output and a larger shore power charger to charge the batteries. Lastly, you start looking at solar power or maybe a generator to charge the batteries to feed the hungry fridge. But, don't despair, you do have the cold beer. You are now at the bottom of the slippery slope. Don't spill the beer on the way down.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Watch out, slippery slope ahead. Those of you with ice boxes who are considering adding a refrigerator system. First you add the system and marvel at the cold beer now available on demand. Second, you realize you need another bank of batteries to run the fridge. That may cost you more than the fridge. Third, you need more alternator output and a larger shore power charger to charge the batteries. Lastly, you start looking at solar power or maybe a generator to charge the batteries to feed the hungry fridge. But, don't despair, you do have the cold beer. You are now at the bottom of the slippery slope. Don't spill the beer on the way down.
And then, where do you put those solar panels? And can you fit enough so that you haven't converted your sailboat into a fossil fueled support system for a dormitory sized refrigerator?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Still using the ice box. A 21lb bag of ice usually lasts all weekend, from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening. Adding refrigeration is on my project list.
Many people overlook making ice to fit the need. My O 222 & B235 was an icebox-only boat. My B323 with fridge is a blessing, but I stil make ice at home. I started out making ice for day sails and weekends. Make the ice big enough or small enough to last the duration of your sail. I start making ice for next week when I get home after a sail on a Sunday evening.

Pudding or applesauce cups make ice larger than "cubes" and it is sasy to dump them out of the cup, the sides being tapered. Put the pucks into the larger ziplock bags in the freezer during the week. . These "pucks" of ice will last as long as it takes to drink those daily happy hour beverages. By the end of a day/weekend sail, they may have melted away and poured down the drain. /// Move up in size as space and needs dictate. The heavier-duty 1 or 2 pound containers of potatoe salad and such that I get still have tapered sides to make for easy removal. You might just put them into plastic shopping bags or an insulated tote bag to get them to the boat fridge. /// If you have an ice maker in your fridge, dump those smaller cubes into the cups you are making the large ice bergs in. They will freeze quicker, being they are starting out half frozen already. /// My 2 cents after 30 years on the water.

• Helpful

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I use a small 110 dorm fridge that is locked in place for cold beer on demand. If out for a short sail the beer stays nice and cold for several hours. On longer sails I use the ice box, for longer adventures I buy multiple bags of ice put it in a yeti with a little dry ice. The ice bags stay frozen for days and days, then just feed the ice box as needed. I have never seen block ice around Texas, although my grandma told me stories of having block ice delivered for the ice box in her home. When we want to to hang out and have a few brews in the neighborhood we go to an ice house, now we have to drink six feet apart.

• Helpful
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Keeping the beer cold is very expensive. 2x160w + 1x50w solar panels, each with its own controller, and a small Isotherm frig. I also have a built-in cockpit icebox that holds the stuff that doesn't need to be kept as cold (produce, etc. and yes, I still buy ice for that). My boat lives on a mooring without shore power, and the solar power is sufficient (with surplus) to leave the fridge on 24/7.

Lensun.jpeg

160w.jpeg

Nav Station (2).jpeg

The following image shows the batteries are topped off (the boat hasn't been plugged in to shore power in 2+ years).
Frig was left on.
Capture.GIF

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Keeping the beer cold is very expensive. 2x160w + 1x50w solar panels, each with its own controller, and a small Isotherm frig. I also have a built-in cockpit icebox that holds the stuff that doesn't need to be kept as cold (produce, etc. and yes, I still buy ice for that). My boat lives on a mooring without shore power, and the solar power is sufficient (with surplus) to leave the fridge on 24/7.

View attachment 179860

View attachment 179861

View attachment 179862

The following image shows the batteries are topped off (the boat hasn't been plugged in to shore power in 2+ years).
Frig was left on.
View attachment 179863
Very cool...in both ways

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
IPA was originally brewed to be drunk warm. Stouts are pretty good warm. If you can't enjoy them warm, you don't actually like ales.

I can think of some beers that need to be drunk really cold. Better yet, not at all.
LOL I used to be JUST a beer drinker. Then i cruised Bahamas Beer $6 a bottle grocery Store Decent rum $7 a liter 9.50 liter and a half. You do the math :)