Loose footed main with Mid-boom sheeting

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I know this post is old, but why do folks call this a 6 to 1 sheet? As I see it, it is only a 4 to1 sheet, with the rest of the blocks just bringing the line back to the winch with no mechanical advantage (might possibly be 5 to 1). My question is, if you used a triple block at the traveler with a cam cleat on the car, to make an actual 6 to1 sheet, would that give you enough mechanical advantage to do away with the winch and bring the sheet straight aft from the car to the cockpit? This is an Oday 28 (10-ft boom and cabin top traveler).
I am not sure which of the layouts above you are referring to. In the diagram in my original post, Catalina counts out the 6 purches lines. On my boat, I eliminated the one labled (1) and dead ended the line at the fiddle block becket which reduced it to 5:1. I then dropped the line from the forward single block down to the mast base so I have the same configuration as in Tally Ho's photo. Most of the time, I can trim the main sheet as tight as I want it by hand. I drop the traveler to depower the main, haul the sheet in tight [sometimes suplimenting the tension by having someone pull down on the end of the boom. I then trim the traveler back up for angle of attack.
I do not need to trim the main one it is hauled in. All trimming is done with the traveler.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 layout is missing 1 block compared to the Catalina drawing upon closer inspection. So mine is not 6:1. I guess I would count it as 5:1 based on the Catalina way of counting.

If I have the sheet out and have to get it back to center in a blow, I crank it in with a cabin top winch.

I also use the traveller way more than the mainsheet for adjustments.

IMG_3234.jpeg