Loose Bolt on the end of my "84" Oday 222 boom - How the heck do I tighten this? HELP!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I assume you've already tried the obvious and it just kept turning freely. Then, if neither end comes off easily, it looks like you are going to need to drill out the rivet and pull the end off from there. This is my best guess. You should wait for a response from someone who knows these boats better. Maybe @Crazy Dave Condon knows.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I assume you've already tried the obvious and it just kept turning freely. Then, if neither end comes off easily, it looks like you are going to need to drill out the rivet and pull the end off from there. This is my best guess. You should wait for a response from someone who knows these boats better. Maybe @Crazy Dave Condon knows.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Drilling out the rivets would be my suggestion also

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wait! Is it one of those rotating booms that lets you roll up your main... and reef your main?

See if there is a thumb screw on the goosneck. If so, then you have a roller furling boom. If so, then it is supposed to be loose.

563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The tang should be a little loose and the hole should be hanging down so the main sheet can attach to it. As the boom moves across the boat the angle to the lower mainsheet block changes so the tang needs to pivot to accommodate the change.

The topping lift should not be attached to the boom while sailing unless it can be set really loose. The end of the boom should be supported by the mainsail leach and not the topping lift. When you go sailing, try clipping the topping life to the back stay to keep it out of the way.

If you need to access the boom, then drill the rivets out and the end cap will come out.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check with some Oday owners; it may be that certain swivel is intended. My take would be, is it creating a problem? Is it getting looser rather quickly? if the answer to these two questions is "No" then if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer, I hav seen the rotating tang used to attach the mainsheet to it allowing for the attachment tang to rotate while other mainsheets were attached to a fixed bail. I note a topping lift attached temporarily to the tang.

If it is furling boom, generally the other end is spring loaded in a fixed position and by pulling the boom out, the boom could rotate. Not sure in this case but would suggest a different tie off for the topping lift leaving the mainsheet to rotate.

As for the bolt it has loosened inside and you have to drill out the pop rivets removing the end to tighten up. Suggest two nuts with use of locktite tightened together.

As for the topping lift I suggest a curved base cheek block attached to the end of the boom routing down one side of the boom to a cleat

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
It seems that looking at your photo that the bolt seems cocked! Maybe it's just the angle. Also the topping lift seems bent. I would follow Crazy Dave's advice.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Wait! Is it one of those rotating booms that lets you roll up your main... and reef your main?

See if there is a thumb screw on the goosneck. If so, then you have a roller furling boom. If so, then it is supposed to be loose.

View attachment 179531
+1

I had exactly the same setup on my 1968 Morgan 30. At the front of the boom I also had a built-in gear system that would turn the boom and wind up the sail for reefing and storage. You don't need to "fix" this loose bolt.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm a bit surprised that there are not two attachment points on the plate where the main sheet and tipping lift attach - one above the boom and one below the boom. I guess when sailing the topping lift goes lax and that piece swivels down for a better angle connecting the main sheet to boom, but still, I'd want two connection points with that plate having a center hole where the boom piviots...

dj

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Rich Stidger

Rich, it is best to tighten up because of safety reasons from the perspective as a former dealer. I saw many that loosened up over the years and this is a 36 year old boat

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I used to have a 222. I assume you mean the bigger bolt at the center of the boom? The bolt is SUPPOSED to be loose to allow the topping lift to pivot some. That's why it is hammered down on the threads- so it is not removed!. If no one else has said it, it looks like the mainsheet is atached wrong to that boom "tang" or whatever it is called. I think my boom had TWO tangs there? I no longer have pics of that boat.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The tang on my F-24 has two holes at opposite ends; one for the topping lift and one for the sheet. Very nice.

Yes, the boom rolls for reefing.