Looking to buy a Hunter 30' from 1978- Thoughts/Suggestions?

Mar 17, 2016
Hunter Looking To Buy Hunter 30_78-83 Syracuse, NY
Hi! I am looking to purchase my first sailboat and a Hunter 30' from 1978 just recently caught my eye. However, I grew up on a Catalina 25' and am not too familiar with this model and was hopeful to get your insights into any thoughts/suggestions/issues that I should be aware of before I make my decisions. A couple concerns I have and would like comments on is should I be concerned about the age of the boat. Since it was built in 1978, I feel like I have gotten confusing reviews about the quality of them vs. later models from the 80's....

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It's not so much the age of the boat as it is how well it was taken care of. I have been sailing my '77 h30 for 19 years and have placed / repaired just about everything in her. There is a ton of info regarding the Cherubini models on this site. Look in the archives and search Cherubini 30's, Hunter 30, from years 1975 thru '82. Also look at owner reviews on this site. A Google search will turn up lots of info. Like cb just posted, do get a survey. Good luck.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I have been restoring a 1979 H30. These are the Cherubini models and are good boats and are built like tanks......believe me ;). Being a 78 it hard to say what it needs without knowing what the previous owners has done. My 79 was not touched since it left the factory so it needed a lot of attention. First, check the I-beam in the bilge that supports the compression post. Mine was rusted out and had to replace. Like CB said, a boat this old really needs a survey done. It could be the PO's really kept it up......unlike mine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not as roomy as newer models. The engine is minimal. I read that access is awful. Should be aligned well to minimize vibration.

Is it a fin or shoal keel? Any depth concerns where you sail?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Assuming it is the Cherubini, I have a sailing buddy who took one of those from San Francisco bay to Hawaii, then Palmyra Atoll, back to Hawaii and then San Francisco, the last three legs being single handed. I once sailed from Moro Bay to San Francisco with him.
He also had to rebuild the I-beam in the bilge.
If that boat is in OK condition it is really nice but by now it might have developed a lot of problems so the preceding advice about surveys is worth following.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Stephanie, are you looking at the boat in Pultneyville? I saw it on Craigslist. That craft is loaded with lots of things that are total upgrades from original, which indicates to me that the previous owners (PO), or current owners, took very good care and maintained that boat with regularity. I won't disagree with any of the suggestions to get a survey, because a lot of below board hidden issues can arise. You need to do more than review status as observed on the surface. You should pull up cushions, open settees, check tha lazerettes, pull the bilge cover, look into the engine compartment from the aft quarter-berth, and look for evidence of leaks from ports and deck. I purchased my H30C for half of what they are asking on that boat, and mine is clean and pristine with all original equipment, save lines, sails, batteries, and other easily weathered supplies/gear. So far only need to replace fenders, compass, Windex, Clinometer, Knotmeter and depth gauge. I'm sure the list will grow as we get closer to launch. Regardless, as posted ad nauseum on this website. BOAT = Bring out Another Thousand.

Last edited:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Like BMA says, always look in the storage areas under the seats for evidence of water lines. This will tell you if it was submerged for any length of time. Not a deal breaker but could effect sale price.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Unless you have a fresh water boat you can be certain that the I beam under the compression post has either been replaced or needs to be. Look at the cabin liner under the mast and at the sole below compression post for a depression. The I beam was made of iron and always rots. Other than that, those are great heavy boats.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Stephanie, here's another listing on Craigslist Binghamton. This boat is "parked"/cradled in the parking lot, right next to my H30C, at Treman State Park Marina In Ithaca.

https://ithaca.craigslist.org/boa/5510354778.html

It's currently under winter wraps, but I met the owner this morning while pumping out my bilge. His name is Don and the boat is named Voracity. It's a 1980 Cherubini H30. I didn't have the time to survey the boat this morning, but it looks good and solid from the bottom up and the Yanmar diesel is brand new. His Craigslist posting includes a prepaid launch and guaranteed slip. It may be worth a look, and it's quite apparent he's anxious to sell...has plans on moving to Florida. I suspect that his price is significantly negotiable. Good luck in your search.