Looking for what new (used) boat to buy

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The "magic" photo identifier on my phone suggests that the boat is a Mirage Kirby 30.
I don't know what a Mirage Kirby 30 is but that is neither a Mirage 30 nor a Kirby 30. The Kirby 30 was built by Mirage but wasn't called that. The symbol is kind a sort a like Mirage but not quite. The Kirby 30 (designed by Bruce Kirby of Laser fame) is a sweet sailing boat.
@jimshipsky if you happen to stumble across a Kirby 25 you may want to go have a good look. It checks all your boxes except for the swing keel. If you find a Kirby 30 in your price range it might work except harder to ramp launch since it draws 5'6"

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Woreign: pretty impressive! What IS your phone photo identifier? I tried searching the bow insignia on Google Images and got nothing. Scanning over the Mirage fleet on sailboatdata, I think this boat is a Mirage 24. I'll go have a look at her today, but as rg listed. I'd need to buy this boat for under $1K for it to make any sense.
rg: why are all the boats I'm interested in in Illinois? Miami? Georgia? I'd be happy to haul a Cat25 100 miles. Up to 400 miles for a great boat. But cross country? I don't think so!

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
My phone is a Pixel 3. Just view a photo in your album and click on the squarish icon below (looks like a target reticle). It then scans the image and compares it to images in the internet and displays the results. It may not be perfect, but it will at least point you in the right direction. I'm not sure if it's Pixel specific or part of Android...

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I think this boat is a Mirage 24
No, not a Mirage 24, they have a very recognizable bow fitting and that's not it. I've sailed them and there are several at my club. But that would be another good boat for you to look at :)
Here is a Mirage 24

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
No, not a Mirage 24, they have a very recognizable bow fitting and that's not it. I've sailed them and there are several at my club. But that would be another good boat for you to look at :)
Here is a Mirage 24
+1
The sheer line on the mystery boat is very different too. It doesn’t look like there will be much headroom in that boat to me.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
He said the materials to build the trailer cost $2000. He removed the head, sink, all interior wood, intending to refurbish it all, but never did. Worst part is he has no sails. If I buy the boat I'll hope Bacon Sails has a used set, so I can see how well I like the boat, then buy a new set. I don't love working with fiberglass, but I've built two Instant Boats so I have experience. Also got a lead on a Westwind 24 (Paceship), a Ted Hood design that sounds appealing, although the 2370 lb. ballast is up high, with a centerboard drawing 5.5'.
Ah, unknown boat, no sails, questionable mid projects not completed, that sure looks like a hard pass to me unless there is some value in the trailer and you know you can recycle the boat without losing your shirt. I sold my fresh water 1976 O'day 25 with new sails and new outboard and installed a new boom vang I never even got to try out for less the $3k and it was ready to sail and need only minor projects. It's Maine, there are boats everywhere in far batter shape. @Maine Sail has posted about good finds all the time and I use to live in Bath.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
rg: why are all the boats I'm interested in in Illinois? Miami? Georgia? I'd be happy to haul a Cat25 100 miles. Up to 400 miles for a great boat. But cross country? I don't think so!
Someone on here said it first but one of the answers to "what is the best boat for....." is

The one you currently own!:rolleyes: I guess you are seeing that now with all the boats being so far away. One thing I have done in the past is have the seller meet me half way. If they want it gone bad enough, they might be willing to meet you on the Indiana border.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
The mystery boat is a Seafarer 22. Surprising headroom--the sole boards had been removed, giving about 5'-10". I didn't care for the cabin layout, and overall didn't care for the boat and her shortcomings (no sails, wood restoration needed, fixed keel). I'll keep looking.
I've been thinking about the PHRA ratings on the Macgregor25 and Catalina25 (231, 228) and the displacements (2100, 4550). I'll be daysailing on a lake 20 weeks of the summer; coastal cruising 1-2 weeks. The wind on the lake is not constant--it varies on a given outing, sometimes nearly dying, then puffs come along. Seems to me the Mac will respond much more quickly to the puffs, being half the displacement of the Cat, resulting in livelier performance. Yes, the Cat will be more seaworthy for that 1-2 week cruise. Question is, do I want to sacrifice 20 weeks of better performance for 1-2 weeks of seaworthiness if conditions get rough?

Jan 19, 2010
I did a lot of coastal cruising in my Mac 22. I've attached write-ups of two of those trips. My personal philosophy is to keep a close watch on the weather and be tucked into a nice cove if the weather turns bad. So I would go with the better light wind performer and then set it up for easy reefing and a storm jib or solent stay jib for heavier winds. I had no problem controlling and feeling comfortable in my Mac 22 in winds in the high 20s and low 30s. But I also had a main with two sets of reef points and a collection of three headsails.

Attachments

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
rg: am very much enjoying your stories! You've reinforced my decision to cruise the Maine coast this summer. I'm thinking I can have the best of both worlds: keep my Cal21 for sailing on the lake, and buy a Cat25 for summer cruising!

Jan 19, 2010
rg: am very much enjoying your stories! You've reinforced my decision to cruise the Maine coast this summer. I'm thinking I can have the best of both worlds: keep my Cal21 for sailing on the lake, and buy a Cat25 for summer cruising!
Go for it. I'm at that point in my life when my kids are too busy to find time for a long cruise with dad ... but they are not old enough yet to have kids of their own that I can steel for a temp. crew.

Sail now while you have the crew for it.