Looking for suggestions

Jul 27, 2015
undecided still shopping to be determined Saratoga Springs
There is the question that hasn't been asked yet. Do you want to work on it or sail it? Also, do you want a boat that sails well or just sails? I owned an O' Day 25 for 3 years, to be honest, it don't point for crap (Centerboard model) and is slow. Pretty nice below but, swapping out the bulkheads due to chainplate rot was not a fun job. Yes I know.... it can be done in a couple of weekends, but why would you set yourself up for that? Structural wood on a boat is not a good thing. Yes, water ballasted boats are lighter to tow but, see above about pointing and how well they sail. Going to put my fire suit on now cause I am sure its going to get hot soon.....

Look for a boat that sails well, has part support, and fits your downstairs requirements. My thoughts, biased as they are, go look at a Beneteau First 235..... big boat in a small package. You also probably won't have to spend your boat $$ on restoration either.
Thanks for your post. you make some good points about things I need to consider. I will check out the Beneteau

Jul 27, 2015
There is the question that hasn't been asked yet. Do you want to work on it or sail it? Also, do you want a boat that sails well or just sails? I owned an O' Day 25 for 3 years, to be honest, it don't point for crap (Centerboard model) and is slow. Pretty nice below but, swapping out the bulkheads due to chainplate rot was not a fun job. Yes I know.... it can be done in a couple of weekends, but why would you set yourself up for that? Structural wood on a boat is not a good thing. Yes, water ballasted boats are lighter to tow but, see above about pointing and how well they sail. Going to put my fire suit on now cause I am sure its going to get hot soon.....

Look for a boat that sails well, has part support, and fits your downstairs requirements. My thoughts, biased as they are, go look at a Beneteau First 235..... big boat in a small package. You also probably won't have to spend your boat $$ on restoration either.
Thanks for your post. you make some good points about things I need to consider. I will check out the Beneteau. are there pics anywhere to see what these look like. Are they trailerable and easy to set up? Thanks.

Jul 27, 2015

Nice looking boat. Do you have any interior pics? Was it easy to learn to sail this one?

Jul 27, 2015
additional comment I forgot to mention is Id like to keep budget between $8,000 and $15,000 if it makes any difference in suggestions. Plan to take my time to research before buying one.

Jul 27, 2015
An excellent question. Either is fine. But if you really want to sail and you're stuck in restoration you are not going to be happy. If you're into the restoration, just sailing may not do it for you. You may be only able to see the imperfections.
Do you have a system to step the mast at the boat launch. The last boat I had was JY 15 sailboat that I had to hold the 22 ft mast upright and slide in place hoping it didn't go rogue on me and fall....that was a challenge at times.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... My thoughts, biased as they are, go look at a Beneteau First 235..... big boat in a small package. ...
I agree with the B235. I was looking at various 25s when I came across a 2 year-old 235. I was hooked. It has the same toerails and cleats as my B32 3. With the table raised and fller in the vee berth, it is a massive bunk. The opening on the head bulkhead, I sewed a cloth panel with pockets for specific items; handheld, etc..

Jul 27, 2015
I agree with the B235. I was looking at various 25s when I came across a 2 year-old 235. I was hooked. It has the same toerails and cleats as my B32 3. With the table raised and fller in the vee berth, it is a massive bunk. The opening on the head bulkhead, I sewed a cloth panel with pockets for specific items; handheld, etc..
I can see why you were hooked. been watching some clips on youtube. how is it for sailing alone. Can mast be raised alone or require other hands to raise? I really like interior from pics I've seen too.

Jul 27, 2015
I can see why you were hooked. been watching some clips on youtube. how is it for sailing alone. Can mast be raised alone or require other hands to raise? I really like interior from pics I've seen too.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You are probably going to need a hand getting the mast up. Would be good no matter what to have help. You can single hand a 235 very easily, lines are run back to the cock pit, self tailers on the jib winches..... With a furler for the head sail, it would be even easier. Check here for more info if you haven't found this place yet.

http://www.beneteau235.com/

You can still get parts from Beneteau too.

Nov 8, 2010
The mast on the 235 is not all that easy to raise single handed, but it can be done with the right support hardware.

There are two issues, first, the mast is VERY tall for a 22 foot boat. Second, the mast tabernackle is forward of the highest point on the cabin-top, meaning that the mast cannot be laid anywhere near flat when it is being raised.

This means that you have to have a A-Frame setup, along with a high crutch on the transom to hold it in place while you pin the base. My old setup is show below. I had helpers on the halyards because it was blowing 20+ on this launch day. With little or no wind I could do it alone. A helper always helps.

Jul 27, 2015
The mast on the 235 is not all that easy to raise single handed, but it can be done with the right support hardware.

There are two issues, first, the mast is VERY tall for a 22 foot boat. Second, the mast tabernackle is forward of the highest point on the cabin-top, meaning that the mast cannot be laid anywhere near flat when it is being raised.

This means that you have to have a A-Frame setup, along with a high crutch on the transom to hold it in place while you pin the base. My old setup is show below. I had helpers on the halyards because it was blowing 20+ on this launch day. With little or no wind I could do it alone. A helper always helps.

sounds complicated but maybe takes couple times to be familiar with settting up.

Nov 8, 2010
sounds complicated but maybe takes couple times to be familiar with settting up.
Well, there are two options when raising the mast on a trailer-able cruiser.

1) Extra hands and muscle.

2) Mechanical assistance.

If you have enough #1, you can usually skip #2. Regarding the 235 specifically, its is flat out impossible for one person to raise the mast without mechanical assistance. Two people can if the helper is strong and tall.

Setting up #2 on any boat takes some time and mechanical aptitude, in particular the first time. But its within reach of everyone.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Well, there are two options when raising the mast on a trailer-able cruiser.

1) Extra hands and muscle.

2) Mechanical assistance.

If you have enough #1, you can usually skip #2. Regarding the 235 specifically, its is flat out impossible for one person to raise the mast without mechanical assistance. Two people can if the helper is strong and tall.

Setting up #2 on any boat takes some time and mechanical aptitude, in particular the first time. But its within reach of everyone.
The mast is at its heaviest when laying parallel to the deck. Get a raised mast step at the boat's transom and start lifting overhead and walking towards the mast tabernacle. It is best to lift in one fluid motion until the shrouds secure any side to side motion. A halyard ran through a block at the bow can help secure until the forest a can be attached. We trailer a Starwind 223 all over the country. Jim Taylor design with a short fixed keel and center board combo. Boat and trailer around 4,200 lbs.

Nov 8, 2010
The mast is at its heaviest when laying parallel to the deck. Get a raised mast step at the boat's transom and start lifting overhead and walking towards the mast tabernacle. It is best to lift in one fluid motion until the shrouds secure any side to side motion. A halyard ran through a block at the bow can help secure until the forest a can be attached. We trailer a Starwind 223 all over the country. Jim Taylor design with a short fixed keel and center board combo. Boat and trailer around 4,200 lbs.
Agree with everything you say, except who designed your boat! LOOKS like a Taylor-designed Precision 23 however.

Jul 27, 2015
Agree with everything you say, except who designed your boat! LOOKS like a Taylor-designed Precision 23 however.
Additional Questions...I read some marinas dislike sailboats launching and don't allow. Is this common?

Other question is can I take a beneteau in both freshwater and ocean or is that a corrosion issue etc. Any damage concerns with engine or boat itself?

Nov 8, 2010
Additional Questions...I read some marinas dislike sailboats launching and don't allow. Is this common?

Other question is can I take a beneteau in both freshwater and ocean or is that a corrosion issue etc. Any damage concerns with engine or boat itself?
Re #1, I would not say common. Possible in areas with few sailboats. I personally have never seen it.

Re #2, there can be issues with any make boat, power or sail. Bottom paint compatibility is one issue. Outboards should be zinced to help prevent corrosion and not left in the water when not in use.

Jul 27, 2015
You are probably going to need a hand getting the mast up. Would be good no matter what to have help. You can single hand a 235 very easily, lines are run back to the cock pit, self tailers on the jib winches..... With a furler for the head sail, it would be even easier. Check here for more info if you haven't found this place yet.

http://www.beneteau235.com/

You can still get parts from Beneteau too.
What is your opinion regarding this mast raising idea? Did they rig this up themselves with a pvc type material or is it common sailboat accessory??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akNqas0B_UY

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
What is your opinion regarding this mast raising idea? Did they rig this up themselves with a pvc type material or is it common sailboat accessory??

Looks like an interesting way to do it. As the description says they used an old mast from a smaller boat as the "crane" PVC is not going to be strong enough and no, it's not a common accessory. Most, if not all, mast raising systems that work well are built for your boat by you.... My old O'Day had a way to do it using the boom but, I wouldn't do it. As Jackdaw pointed out, he built a system for his 235 when he owned it. A-Frames work great, gin poles, etc. If you are not going to keep your boat some place where it is always going to be on the water or at least dry sailed, stored on the trailer with the mast up at a marina, you are going to have to build your own mast raising system. No matter what boat you end up with.

Nov 8, 2010

This is a portable gin-pole system, and probably the BEST and safest way to raise a mast without a crane. It is safe because the mast is raised (with no possibly of it falling sideways) by the pole secured by guy wires on the deck. You can stop at any time, even come back the next day. You can even do this on the water. They used an old mast; it has to be tall enough to go to your spreaders. If I had to raise/lower the mast of our First 260 without a crane, this is what I would do for sure.