Looking for suggestions

Jul 27, 2015
undecided still shopping to be determined Saratoga Springs
I am looking to buy a sailboat to restore. Have done a few already a couple years ago. Also currently restoring an airstream trailer.

Here's my questions: Id ideally like a saliboat large enough to have kitchen and bathroom and sleeping space for my wife an myself. Id like it to be trailerable with a pick up truck if possible, so we can take it on vacations but also use it on a nearby lake with campground space.

What is a recommended boat and brand? All suggestions are welcome and appreciated very much. Also forgot to ask if enough space to stand or am I being unrealistic for a trailerable boat? Thanks!!

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
Welcome to the forms.

I am working on restoring a '64 Wayfarer, but not what your looking for. You will want to be toward the top of the trailer-able range, about 26'. McGregors are nice as they are easily trailer-able, but they lack a bit in the creature comfort department. I had a O'Day 22 that I loved. It's kitchen consisted of a pump sink and a propane grill that you used keeling/sitting and a porta potty for the bathroom.

I would suggest looking at O'Days only because I am partial to them. None of their models that I am aware of are going to have much better accommodations that is a trailer sailor type.

Jul 27, 2015
Welcome to the forms.

I am working on restoring a '64 Wayfarer, but not what your looking for. You will want to be toward the top of the trailer-able range, about 26'. McGregors are nice as they are easily trailer-able, but they lack a bit in the creature comfort department. I had a O'Day 22 that I loved. It's kitchen consisted of a pump sink and a propane grill that you used keeling/sitting and a porta potty for the bathroom.

I would suggest looking at O'Days only because I am partial to them. None of their models that I am aware of are going to have much better accommodations that is a trailer sailor type.
Thanks. I have seen pics of the oday 22 and liked it. In fact the first boat I ever restored was a small 1960s oday widgeon. Was impressed at construction. Had nice teak wood seats. Am looking for a nice interior with wood ideally. Is 22 footwhat you prefer?

Jul 27, 2015
Welcome to the forms.

Also forgot to ask whats the max size oday that is trailerable and is it difficult to find parts or are there sources online. Thanks

Oct 13, 2013
Also forgot to ask whats the max size oday that is trailerable and is it difficult to find parts or are there sources online. Thanks
The max size question depends on a few things. Mostly beam for legal towing width and weight you can tow. I know that with the weight of the mast on the 22 it was pretty close to what I was comfortable stepping.

I personally would push for an extra few feet and get a minimum a 24 or 25 on my next cruiser for the extra space below and deck space. The 22 for me (6' 240lb) was comfortable tight, but I'd like just comfortable.

O'Days have plenty of parts available through here and D&R Marina. I like to compare O'Day as the Honda of the boat world. Easy to find parts, easy to work on, reliable, but maybe not the fanciest or fastest boat on the water.

Jul 27, 2015
The max size question depends on a few things. Mostly beam for legal towing width and weight you can tow. I know that with the weight of the mast on the 22 it was pretty close to what I was comfortable stepping.

I personally would push for an extra few feet and get a minimum a 24 or 25 on my next cruiser for the extra space below and deck space. The 22 for me (6' 240lb) was comfortable tight, but I'd like just comfortable.

O'Days have plenty of parts available through here and D&R Marina. I like to compare O'Day as the Honda of the boat world. Easy to find parts, easy to work on, reliable, but maybe not the fanciest or fastest boat on the water.
nice to know about reliability and parts...like your Honda analogy too

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I saw an H260 for sale on Long Island that I think was listed right here on sailboatowners. It was cheap so probably need some work. I'll check around and see if it's still listed.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Water Ballast

Since about 1988 the top mfgs have been making water ballasted boats where you’ll not be hauling around all that keel weight when camping. They are built a little lighter because the overall boat is lighter per foot than the older weighted keel type, being lighter the rigging is also lighter for ease of rigging. But, some models the inside height is compromised because of the area the water tank uses for the water ballast.

The Hunter 260 & the Mac 26 pictured in the earlier posts are water ballast.

Oct 13, 2013
you mentioned challenge stepping the mast. Did you trailer yours and step it at the launch site on trailer
I did.

By default if you are doing a trailer sailor type of approach of keeping it on the trailer and putting it in when used you will be stepping the mast regularly. I decided to keep mine on a buoy instead of stepping multiple times a year. Another option, and cheaper, is to keep it on a trailer with it stepped at a marina and just launching it each time you want to use it.

"Challenge" maybe is to strong of a word. It is definitely a process that requires some practice and mastery and can have bad results if things are not done right.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
There is the question that hasn't been asked yet. Do you want to work on it or sail it? Also, do you want a boat that sails well or just sails? I owned an O' Day 25 for 3 years, to be honest, it don't point for crap (Centerboard model) and is slow. Pretty nice below but, swapping out the bulkheads due to chainplate rot was not a fun job. Yes I know.... it can be done in a couple of weekends, but why would you set yourself up for that? Structural wood on a boat is not a good thing. Yes, water ballasted boats are lighter to tow but, see above about pointing and how well they sail. Going to put my fire suit on now cause I am sure its going to get hot soon.....

Look for a boat that sails well, has part support, and fits your downstairs requirements. My thoughts, biased as they are, go look at a Beneteau First 235..... big boat in a small package. You also probably won't have to spend your boat $$ on restoration either.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is the question that hasn't been asked yet. Do you want to work on it or sail it? Also, do you want a boat that sails well or just sails?
An excellent question. Either is fine. But if you really want to sail and you're stuck in restoration you are not going to be happy. If you're into the restoration, just sailing may not do it for you. You may be only able to see the imperfections.

Jul 27, 2015
Since about 1988 the top mfgs have been making water ballasted boats where you’ll not be hauling around all that keel weight when camping. They are built a little lighter because the overall boat is lighter per foot than the older weighted keel type, being lighter the rigging is also lighter for ease of rigging. But, some models the inside height is compromised because of the area the water tank uses for the water ballast.

The Hunter 260 & the Mac 26 pictured in the earlier posts are water ballast.
Very nice boats. Do all years have the winch to raise the mast? That's a great feature to save stepping mast. Are there any other manufactures with this too?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Very nice boats. Do all years have the winch to raise the mast? That's a great feature to save stepping mast. Are there any other manufactures with this too?
Any winch on the boat can be used to step the mast. A smaller boat wouldn't likely have such a unit just for that purpose, they're usually used for something else too.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
All the mfgs offer some kind of mast raising unit to help sell the boat but, when looking at used boats that equipment would be harder to find than the model of boat its self. The larger the boat the more critical the mast raising equipment construction becomes.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I have a Catalina 25 wing keel that I have taken to other lakes to sail. The boat is not fast and does not point as well as some others, but is comfortable to spend a few days on. I have it rigged so I can lower and raise the mast by myself, if necessary. It takes me about an hour from parking to sailing. The Catalina 25’s are probably not the best boat to trailer sail full time with. If I take it on the trailer I usually spend three to five days on it. One good thing is that there is a lot of support for the Catalina boats. I have some friends that have Catalina 22’s that spend weekends on as well. Another good boat to trailer sail is the South Coast 26-if you can find one.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
...snip... The Catalina 25’s are probably not the best boat to trailer sail full time with. /quote]
The question becomes not so much that it's good at some things and not so good at others, since every boat is a compromise, but rather, does it suit your needs? There's likey a list of good/bad for every boat out there that isn't published, but is remarkably similar between owners.

Jul 27, 2015
I have a Catalina 25 wing keel that I have taken to other lakes to sail. The boat is not fast and does not point as well as some others, but is comfortable to spend a few days on. I have it rigged so I can lower and raise the mast by myself, if necessary. It takes me about an hour from parking to sailing. The Catalina 25’s are probably not the best boat to trailer sail full time with. If I take it on the trailer I usually spend three to five days on it. One good thing is that there is a lot of support for the Catalina boats. I have some friends that have Catalina 22’s that spend weekends on as well. Another good boat to trailer sail is the South Coast 26-if you can find one.
Do you have a picture of how you rigged your mast.