Looking for suggestions

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What is your opinion regarding this mast raising idea? Did they rig this up themselves with a pvc type material or is it common sailboat accessory??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akNqas0B_UY
I don't like it because it can't be done single handed. It would be interesting to see the take down sequence..... That's quite an angle for the lifting line to the spreader loop... looks like the crew might have to do the lifting.

For the under 27 foot boat, I'd much prefer a hinged tabernacle base with a moving gin pole or A frame system for the actuation. A crutch to get the mast above horizontal and a winch or tackle system for the raising and lowering completes the package.

Check this system out.....solid, safe... easy up and down.... very good demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7SadZL8ek

Jul 27, 2015
undecided still shopping to be determined Saratoga Springs
I don't like it because it can't be done single handed. It would be interesting to see the take down sequence..... That's quite an angle for the lifting line to the spreader loop... looks like the crew might have to do the lifting.

For the under 27 foot boat, I'd much prefer a hinged tabernacle base with a moving gin pole or A frame system for the actuation. A crutch to get the mast above horizontal and a winch or tackle system for the raising and lowering completes the package.

Check this system out.....solid, safe... easy up and down.... very good demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7SadZL8ek
interesting video thanks!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Some of the Macgregors came with a simple....

.... gin pole/block and tackle mast raising system that can be used to raise or lower the mast in under 10 minutes by one person and you can stop at any point if needed.

It also uses one of the boats jib sheet winches. Others have adapted the system to other boats.

More on it here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

Sumner

======================================

1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
Some of the Macgregors came with a simple....

.... gin pole/block and tackle mast raising system that can be used to raise or lower the mast in under 10 minutes by one person and you can stop at any point if needed.

It also uses one of the boats jib sheet winches. Others have adapted the system to other boats.

More on it here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

Sumner

======================================

300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas
Nice. Thanks. How do you like MacGregor?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Great point, Sumner. We love our H260 but it's definitely *not* for everyone.

Jul 27, 2015
The mast on the 235 is not all that easy to raise single handed, but it can be done with the right support hardware.

There are two issues, first, the mast is VERY tall for a 22 foot boat. Second, the mast tabernackle is forward of the highest point on the cabin-top, meaning that the mast cannot be laid anywhere near flat when it is being raised.

This means that you have to have a A-Frame setup, along with a high crutch on the transom to hold it in place while you pin the base. My old setup is show below. I had helpers on the halyards because it was blowing 20+ on this launch day. With little or no wind I could do it alone. A helper always helps.
Jack what thoughts do you have regarding catalinas. I like idea of swing keel for ease of launching in shallower boat launches

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Most of the small boat mast raising systems use the forward stay, but if you have roller furling like I do, then you need some other method.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Airstream;

Jackdaw and I probably know more about mast raising than most. The MacGregor masts are lighter due to a thinner walled mast vs. the Catalina masts. You have to raise the mast into the wind and come up with stabilizing sideways too. There is a lot more.

However, I suggest that you consider the amenities that your wife and you want and look at the specific boats that will fit your need. Then decide if you have the tow vehicle to pull it. The third is how much you want to spend but remember if you get a free boat or one that will take a lot of work, most never finish due to the costs and the amount of time you expense. Then consider if the mast can be raise with a mast system.

I would suggest doing the above first and then the rest will fall in place. I use to be a former dealer advising those who wanted a trailerable used boat the above