Looking for Solar panel recommendation

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think @WayneH means…
BougeRV 9BB Cell 200 Watts Solar Panel,23% High-Efficiency Mono Module Monocrystalline Technology Work with 12 Volts Charger for RV Camping Home Boat Marine Off-Grid
For $172 each from AMAZON

Just a SWAG on my part.;)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Xavpil, give me a month to get them installed and tested before I can claim to be an actual user.
John, that's a pretty good guess. :D

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
I need 400w / panel so I’ll keep an eye out at BoigeRV Cyber Monday on their 10BB 400w

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I need 400w / panel so I’ll keep an eye out at BoigeRV Cyber Monday on their 10BB 400w
Do you need one 400 w panel or do you need 400w total? Having just one panel is not a particularly good system design for a variety of reasons.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Do you need one 400 w panel or do you need 400w total? Having just one panel is not a particularly good system design for a variety of reasons.
I need 1200w. I’ll have 2x400w solid on the arch And 2x 200w flexible on Bimini

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
Contact SunPower Yachts. Their customer service is excellent.

We put two 170-watt Sunpower flex panels at www.sunpoweredyachts.com on our boat three years ago and never have to worry about power at anchor any longer. We bought them as a kit that came with everything needed to install them. Unfortunately, Sunpower has discontinued its flex panels and moved to rigid ones. Rigid panels have many advantages when mounting them on a boat and generally produce higher amperage than flex panels. Because of this, you may not need more than one panel to produce the power you require for your boat. Rigid panels are also more robust when it comes to durability. Sunpower is one of the top solar panel manufacturers and their products are very well made. How do I know that? I have 36 panels on my roof that have been there since 2009 that have performed flawlessly. I also just installed another 16 panels that are waiting to be commissioned by the local power company. Once that is done we can say bye-bye to our electric bill. Solar on a boat is a huge advantage when anchoring out or storing your boat on a mooring, as you will never have to worry about dead batteries if you take the steps to properly size the system.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
So don't forget you can also get a tax credit for up to 30% of the cost of a solar installation if your boat qualifies as a second home (in IRS terms it has to have a kitchen, bathroom, place to sleep). That includes the solar panel, all equipment necessary to connect it, cost of installation, and new in 2023 the battery storage. Put that on top of your Black Friday sale prices and you've got quite a deal. Just bear in mind you have to put the solar installation "into service" in the year you claim the tax break. And it's cleanest if you buy everything, install, and put it into service in the same tax year (e.g. your receipts will all match in the same tax year). Here' the IRS deets:

Residential Clean Energy Credit | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Well it wont be BougeRV that’s for sure: I had ordered 2x400W 10BB panels and just returned them.
After calling the “company”, I got a strange message from a regular cell phone subscriber saying that the voicemail wasn’t activated. No company name. No human talking. WHen I called during the business hours, a lady picked up. I don’t even think she said the name of the company. She was either tired, bored or uninterested in her job or the company. She had no info and directed me to call Tech Support. I then asked to maybe talk to someone who could help, since my question was Feature related, no support. But she is the only one working there….
So I emailed tech support. It took them two days to reply, without an answer to my question.
IMO they spend money on marketing (nice website), and try to sell as fast as they can some solar panels and other equipment stamped with their logo.
Not throwing all that money to BougeRV.

• Helpful
Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
I put 4 x 147 watt bifacial Giocos on 3 years ago and, so far, they have been excellent. I stuck them on to a curved SS tube frame so there is no flex and the underside is exposed. I like the light weight and really don't like the look of a rigid panel on an arch. We get enough power in the summer to keep up with Starlink, laptops, water maker, Engel freezer and poorly insulated fridge.

Nov 13, 2007
C&C 37 Plus East Greenwich RI
I did my due diligence and a search didn't bring anything relevant since this technology and the prices are changing so quickly.
What brand did you go with?
Type of panels?
Happy?

Thx!
I spent a lot of time researching this. The company with the best prices was Sun Electric in Miami Fl. I bought 2 250 watt Sanyo panels at $.49 cents per watt. I bought 6061-T6 aluminum tubing (same stuff your mast is probably made of) from an aluminum supplier. Supporting braces were from Garhauer Marine. So, I have 500 watts of solar power thru an Outback MTTP controller including all brackets, bracing and tubing for $1126. The system has been spectacular for 7 years.

Attachments

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
I spent a lot of time researching this. The company with the best prices was Sun Electric in Miami Fl. I bought 2 250 watt Sanyo panels at $.49 cents per watt. I bought 6061-T6 aluminum tubing (same stuff your mast is probably made of) from an aluminum supplier. Supporting braces were from Garhauer Marine. So, I have 500 watts of solar power thru an Outback MTTP controller including all brackets, bracing and tubing for $1126. The system has been spectacular for 7 years.
Thx!!

Aug 10, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Clearwater, FL
Family owned business. Awesome customer service and competitive prices. After doing my homework, I spent about half hour on the phone with the owner and we designed a solar system to meet my needs. Everything arrive super fast and I installed everything with no issues.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Family owned business. Awesome customer service and competitive prices. After doing my homework, I spent about half hour on the phone with the owner and we designed a solar system to meet my needs. Everything arrive super fast and I installed everything with no issues.
Thx a lot!!

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I have been running a couple of these on our charter boat over the past year (the 180 watt version):
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-High-Efficiency-Monocrystalline-Off-Grid-Applications/dp/B0BRKJNFQQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=BZ06EHV4SQ5O&keywords=solar+panel&qid=1701744352&sprefix=solar+panel,aps,109&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I like them. They are light, but strong enough to stand up to the weather. This July, I watched from shore as the boat was hit by a microburst (40+ knot winds). The swivel that the the panels are mounted on tipped, but there was no damage whatsoever to the panels. I have them mounted in parallel with an older 375 watt panel made by a reputable residential panel manufacturer. I am probably going to lose it because it's just too heavy (honestly - overbuilt) and the footprint of the panels I linked to is so much more efficient.

PS - I use a Victron SmartSolar 100|50 charge controller to charge LiFePO4 batteries. I can't say enough good things about how awesome this controller is. It just works. The batteries are awesome too.''

PSS - I have had some output issues with these panels. They work reliably, but don't seem to output their rated capacity, even in perfect conditions during the summer (in the Northeast, USA). I am doing further investigation into the issue this winter.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
We went with Renogy panels. 2-100W panels that go on top of our Bimini. We used there Rover Elite 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller as well. Everything came as ordered. Well constructed and good pricing.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
I have been running a couple of these on our charter boat over the past year (the 180 watt

I like them. They are light, but strong enough to stand up to the weather. This July, I watched from shore as the boat was hit by a microburst (40+ knot winds). The swivel that the the panels are mounted on tipped, but there was no damage whatsoever to the panels. I have them mounted in parallel with an older 375 watt panel made by a reputable residential panel manufacturer. I am probably going to lose it because it's just too heavy (honestly - overbuilt) and the footprint of the panels I linked to is so much more efficient.

PS - I use a Victron SmartSolar 100|50 charge controller to charge LiFePO4 batteries. I can't say enough good things about how awesome this controller is. It just works. The batteries are awesome too.
thx for link

how did you pick 100/50 vs 100/30.