Looking for Solar panel recommendation

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
I did my due diligence and a search didn't bring anything relevant since this technology and the prices are changing so quickly.
What brand did you go with?
Type of panels?
Happy?

Thx!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are lots of variables to consider, however, the adage you get what you pay for holds true with panels. More expensive panels tend to have better cells, are physically stronger, have a smaller footprint, are more efficient, and have better/longer warrantees.

Rigid panels tend to have a longer life than flexible panels, especially if the flexible panels are mounted on fabric, like a dodger or Bimini. Frequent flexing can break the very small wires connecting the panels.

The best article on solar power I've read is by Nigel Calder. A bit technical at times, but the information is great.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Thx for the reply.

i am looking for what people actually bought and see how they like it.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I am very happy with our Panasonic panels. They use HJT cells and can outperform the panel rating on occasion. We also have two 200W Rich panels I selected for size constraints. Although they are constructed well, they output about 10-15% less of their rating when compared to the Panasonics. The highest I have seen on the MPPT history is 190W and the Panasonics on the same day hit about 115%.

Jan 11, 2014
I bought Solara Panels. They had the smallest footprint and the highest efficiency I could find and 5 year warrantee that covered marine use.
They worked well even in low light conditions, early morning and late afternoon.

I have 2 150 watt panels with independent Victron Smart 75/15 controllers. I was very pleased with their performance. Over the course of one 30 day period we averaged 428 wh, just shy of the projected 3 times the nominal output, 17 days were at 440 wh or greater. This data include several very low production days because we were motoring and/or very cloudy and rainy. On several days the panel produced 600wh or more. The data is for just one of the two panels.

Port Panel Stats.png

Solara no longer makes the 150w panel, seems they found a way to squeeze another 10 watts out of the panel in the same footprint.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Dave makes an important point. It’s more about daily Wh production than peak wattage. On the best summer day in the FL panhandle, our 1340W of Panasonics will yield 8kWh, and our 400W Rich 2kWh. So about 6 hours and 5 hours times the rating respectively. It goes down from there based on clouds and shading . The past couple of days we got about 4kWh daily from the Panasonics and 1kWh from the Rich. It was mostly sunny, but with a short day, low sun angle, and a fickle wind that kept putting the boom shadow in the worst spot.

Jan 11, 2014

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
If you do use SunPower, the link below will get you a discount. I don't benefit from this, Bill and Grace on Calico Skies are friends, just like to help them out.

10% off SunPowered Yachts Flex Panels, use code CALICO10

10% off SunPowered Yachts Flex Panel Bundles, use code CALICOBUNDLE

http://affiliates.sunpoweredyachts.co...
anything for regular, non flex ones?..... And this is so nice of you!!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Try A1solarstore. I got my 4 Panasonics shipped from them and it was reasonable. Well, it took them two tries. The first shipment they sent the wrong panels and one was damaged. But they answered the phone and emails and it was all sorted rather promptly. They also have locations around the country where you can pick up orders as well.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Try A1solarstore. I got my 4 Panasonics shipped from them and it was reasonable. Well, it took them two tries. The first shipment they sent the wrong panels and one was damaged. But they answered the phone and emails and it was all sorted rather promptly. They also have locations around the country where you can pick up orders as well.
I"ll check them out, Thx!

Jan 11, 2014
This is Lyall and Katie....
and I talked to them. Shipping from AZ is $800!!!
[/QUOTE]

How big are the panels? The panels will probably ship motor freight where physical size makes a difference. Two 150 w panels may cost less to ship than one 300w because they are more compact and easier to handle.

• Helpful

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
This is Lyall and Katie....
and I talked to them. Shipping from AZ is $800!!!
How big are the panels? The panels will probably ship motor freight where physical size makes a difference. Two 150 w panels may cost less to ship than one 300w because they are more compact and easier to handle.
[/QUOTE]
The quote was for the solid panels. They have to fabricate a crate that you pay for plus special delivery handling. It makes sense but I can’t justify the cost.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I did my due diligence and a search didn't bring anything relevant since this technology and the prices are changing so quickly.
What brand did you go with?
Type of panels?
Happy?

Thx!
Eight years ago I thought I had done my research and after being persuaded to “consider reputable and proven reliable brands like Solara, Gioco, Solbian or Aurinco” I bought a Gioco 170W flexible solar panel from a very reputable dealer in the area for the dear price of $850(USD). A backing board over a tight Sunbrella bimini and secured with sewn in velcro greatly reduced any chance of chafing or flexing of the panel. Five times in 5 years that panel and it’s replacements failed then the warranty ran out. Three years ago, I went the other way and bought a 175W Renogy for 1/3rd of the price of the “proven brand”.
I have been very happy with the Renogy panel. It and another 160W Sunpower panel with 2 Victron MPPTs satisfy my needs when at anchor. Compared to the various 5 Gioco flexible panels that I had received, I'd give the Renogy panel a thumbs up.
Renogy 175W Rigid Panel $190 shipping in