looking for diesel motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
Price difference?

So did some calling around to all the mentioned places on this thread. Trans atlantic seemed very helpful and Foley engines extremely rude. Fellow was upset about being on speaker phone and I immediately took him off and he told me to take a hike and hung up. Strange.

Anyway no used and new cost are as follows (I didn't put prices with distributers names) and prices are consistent among everyone I've contacted this week. None carried Kubota.
Westerbeke 12C = 6,800
universal M3-20 = 7,800
Westerbeke = 30C = 8,100
Yanmar 2ym15 = 7,400

All prices seem much higher than what it seems others claim to buy them for.
Would it be rude to contact individuals on this site to inquire into their purchases?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Have you checked Beta and/or Bukh. The Beta is the marine version of Kubota. Not sure who makes the Bukh. And did you check with Torresen and/or Mack Boring for a used engine? They are both huge Yanmar suppliers and might have a trade-in or two.

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
Have you checked Beta and/or Bukh. The Beta is the marine version of Kubota. Not sure who makes the Bukh. And did you check with Torresen and/or Mack Boring for a used engine? They are both huge Yanmar suppliers and might have a trade-in or two.
I just got of the phone with Beta Marine West and I have to say I like what their selling. Sales rep was extremely helpful and spent an hour answering my questions. Their product is geared towards re-powering industry and their Beta 14 model lines up very well with my current engine bed. They researched my boat and current motor configuration to assure that their product would be a match and what modifications would need to be made. They spec'd prop size based on boat weight and water line length as well as determine necessary gear ratio. Even talked me through installation differences between my current exhaust and intake systems.
Good customer service goes a long way.

So lets hear your opinions on this motor pricing at around 6,400 http://www.betamarinewest.com/beta14.php

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Beta (marinized Kubota) engines have a great reputation.
You can get Kubota parts for these engines that are way cheaper then the other marine diesel engine makers if you buy the parts at a farm/truck supply place. Everyone else seems to rake you over the coals for spare parts.
If I was in need of an engine and I had the money, a brand new Beta would probably be at the top of my list.
It will not cost you < $6K but you will end up with a brand spanking new engine. If you can do most of the install yourself you will save yourself some big money.
Good luck.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Surf, I am a very happy owner of a 35hp Beta Kubota diesel I have now 2nd season. I intalled it from prop to key, myself, and got tons of support from the Beta dealer in Conn. I researched Volvo, yanmar,and westerbeke, not only were they much more money, they wanted to sell me an engine and go away. Joe Demars, sound Marine gave me dimensions for the template with shaft placement you see in the pics, that was invaluable, for renovation of the stringers. I look at it like this, if this is the boat for u, and you can afford it , go for it. SOmeone here told me if we started adding up all the money we spend we would be sick, maybe so, but for me when I am in my boat on the water I am truly happy, and I for one can not put it in dollars. Sorry bout the rant, I am hooked. If u need more info, there is a beta site u can talk to Stanley he will give u all the tech info from which prop to correct HP, then u can price it with a dealer near u. If u have any questions I will be glad to help u out, email me, I have an 800 #.....Red

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I do not know whats with this computer, I forgot template photo, and this piece of sh*t will not let me upload a photo. I'll try later....Red

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
Beta marine 14

Do the distributor's have templates for these engines?
Did you upgrade the alternator and belt to V? Would you recommend this?

Dec 30, 2009
Mark send me a test message to my email, hille78@yahoo.com then I can send u pictures... Red

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The majority of repowers in the last five years in our little area are Betamarine. One of those was even in an S2 26'.
Everyone loves 'em.

We do have a strong independant Beta distributor and a couple of local well-regarded diesel mechanics just swear by them as well.

"Try it, you'll like it."

:)

L

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
A fellow that I knew had a Hunter 31 with a Bukh. I must say that it was extremely quite and provide a little more HP than the Yanmar 2GM that it replaced. I really don't know about the prices but it is worth check out. These engines are used for the life boats on cruise ships.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
I have made the decision and know what I want. The beta 14, and though I still haven't made the purchase yet, I figure there are a number of items that need to be taken care of, as you can see in the pictures.
1. Pulled the motor.
2. Bilge Clean, Clean, Clean
3. Trace down and put in order the rats nest of electrical wiring.
4. Create and re-bed the support stingers w/ additional height needed.
5. Enlarge raw water intake thru hole 5/8 to 3/4

The new fuel tank, shaft, prop, cutlass bearing, and exhaust system will wait until new engine is in and I can get the needed dimensions.

I may start a new thread detailing this process with pics and such as time permits, though work comes first. I will post link here when / if I do.

Thanks for all your input, and since I haven't bought anything yet feel free to change my mind.

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
U are not gonna miss that mess of wires, all of that will be gone......Red

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Al Holzer in Bayfield WI has core of about any engine you could want . He'll give you credit for your old core. You ship it back in the new engine crate. His rebuilds are better than new. My son in FL. has used him He has an intnl. reputation. You can find him on the internet. Man knows his engines and his german.

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
CALL SCHOONER BAY MARINA and speak with "Al"

Al Holzer in Bayfield WI has core of about any engine you could want . He'll give you credit for your old core. You ship it back in the new engine crate. His rebuilds are better than new. My son in FL. has used him He has an intnl. reputation. You can find him on the internet. Man knows his engines and his german.
http://www.schoonerbaymarinallc.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=83

A friend in Quantico VA did business with Al and REMAINS VERY HAPPY! Ray (my friend) went to Schooner Bay Marina, llc, for a remanufactured engine for his 1970 something Pearson 30. It was, for Ray (my friend) a unplug and plug in operation.

Al shipped the remanufactured engine in a crate and Ray used the crate to return the core to Al. I offer, call Al at 715.779.3266. He may not have the newest engines in stock but if you can use a 2GM15 or GM20 GM20F -- he has those and I think they will be a couple grand less than you originally stated.

BTW -- I have NOTHING to do with Al's business. I never bought anything from him, but Ray did and if you want, send me a private message and I will ask Ray to get direct to you if you want a recommendation.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2009
Hunter 27 beacon ny
I just won a brand new Renault RC8D (direct replacement for my 1979 H27) stored for twenty two years in a barn in Killback Ohio. Wining bid $650. Found this on Ebay with 2 days left on bid by chance because of odd category listing. Beautiful condition complete in factory crate. I had been looking for two years. This was a one in a million find. Posting video of me hand staring in a few days. I would keep look. Had been using various outboards as temp. measure with satisfactory results but having diesel back and clean stern ....wonderful

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
No sense repowering a diesel with an Atomic 4. You have to change the fuel system too and diesels have return lines, different control panels, etc. If you find an engine that fits the footprint of your existing one, then the swap out will be much easier. If you are looking for a replacement diesel inboard, contact Alfred Holzer at the Schooner Bay Marina in Bayfield, WI. Google it or contact me if you cannot find it. He has hundreds of all makes of diesels in his shop and ships all over the country. He can sell you a new Yanmar too, if you want to buy one.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
After two pages I just have to ask, what wrong with a Volvo? Are they bad engines?? Cant get parts? Curious.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
After two pages I just have to ask, what wrong with a Volvo? Are they bad engines?? Cant get parts? Curious.
Yanmar parts are expensive. Volvo parts are even more expensive.

My experience with many of the older Volvo's is that they "tend" to be hard starting and quite often smoke.

The dealers are also not as prevelant as Yanmar (probably why the prices are higher).

Status
Not open for further replies.