looking for diesel motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
So, after many many hours of tinkering and yes, money I have reached the decision to re-power my newly acquired 1976 S2 8.0C. It currently has a volvo MD6A (diesel 36 yrs in the ocean). Its not a total loss but with all parts to rebuild and a transmission replacement I think I would have a very expensive, old, rusty motor that would have me crossing my fingers every time I turned the ignition.
I've done some research and like what the Yanmar 2YM15 has to offer. Though convincing my wife to let me spend more on a motor than I did on the boat is not working out so well.
Any advise on new or used alternatives?
I am looking to keep engine cost below 6,000. The further below the better and do the install myself.
If anyone is selling or knows a deal please help.
Also any recommendations based on similar re-power projects would be great to.
Thanks,

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
While a diesel engine might be the best choice for a re-power for a number of reasons there may be other options. You could install an Atomic 4 gasoline engine. You can find used engines in working condition for around $1K.
A diesel would give you better re-sale value when that time comes but finding a reasonably priced used diesel engine may be difficult.
Good luck.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there were 2 differant ones for sale on the site last week one was a yanmar and the other was a westerbake i belive ....look on crigs list as well ......te 2 gm yanies are a good choich in my book and almost bullet proof...do lots of resherce and educate your self about the used ones and you will be fine ...and dont jump at the first one you find...build your options slowly and you will be better for it ....good luck...

regards

woody

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
While a diesel engine might be the best choice for a re-power for a number of reasons there may be other options. You could install an Atomic 4 gasoline engine. You can find used engines in working condition for around $1K.
A diesel would give you better re-sale value when that time comes but finding a reasonably priced used diesel engine may be difficult.
Good luck.
I have no illusions of resale value coming close to money sunk into my boat. Would be cool, but I think it works out more like this...
36 year old boat + trailer + new motor + countless hrs of time + a small fortune I hope my wife never learns the extent of = 10 yrs later "used motor for sale + trailer for sale (46 yr old boat on top).
Of course I'm in the equation as well with a whole host of emotional expressions on extreme ends of the spectrum :cussing:---:D. But in the end I'll be sad to see her go as I remember the smile on my face as the wind blew through the hair I use to have.

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
there were 2 differant ones for sale on the site last week one was a yanmar and the other was a westerbake i belive ....look on crigs list as well ......te 2 gm yanies are a good choich in my book and almost bullet proof...do lots of resherce and educate your self about the used ones and you will be fine ...and dont jump at the first one you find...build your options slowly and you will be better for it ....good luck...

regards

woody
Thanks for the heads up,
I'll take another look. The GM's seem a good match gonna research the Westerbrake.
I'm already setting up a make shift outboard I have on hand to get me going this summer so I can have some time to ponder options.
Since I live in Utah I don't have many options for an in person assessment of engine and am afraid I would end up with the same motor I already have. "One that was supposed to work, just hasn't run in a while" Ahem... Or "just needs a little part" How much can a thermostat really cost?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't think the 2YM15 would be more than $6k. The highest cost usually involves labor.

Ed S. did his own installation (with some assistance), and he used a larger engine. Maybe he can pipe in here.

You may need some additional parts like shaft, prop....

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Someone near our boat put a Honda outboard inside to act as a sail drive. Very cleaver indeed. Somehow he made a rubber collar on the extension of the long shaft and made it water tight. Pretty cool.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Someone near our boat put a Honda outboard inside to act as a sail drive. Very cleaver indeed. Somehow he made a rubber collar on the extension of the long shaft and made it water tight. Pretty cool.
I'd say pretty dangerous.

Dec 20, 2011
Cal 28 Eagle River
Some CAL 28 came set up with outboards built in under the rear deck with a motor well , This preserved the hour glass stern look..Dale

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
Would this be stupid?

When I purchased my boat. I decided to go with the one closer to me, more ammenities, and working a few years ago diesel motor...Ahem... This also meant more $$$.

Now as you see I'm looking for engine...also cleaning, maintaining, bringing back to life a-lot of boat extras on my 1976 8.0C.

The cheaper one is still on the market with current running motor, though a universal atomic 4 and not the diesel I wanted. Exact same boat (76 8.0C) $1800. None of the nice stuff like head, fridge, ect... but new 110% roller furler, sea worthy, and "in the water and can sail" as per owner.

Would I be stupid to by this boat for these reasons? Currently capable of getting underway immediately. All parts are interchangeable inside and out for repairs and fixes so I can work on the other re-powering and making really nice for future san juan trip. I have a trailer to pick up and bring it home though boat is in RI and I'm in UT.
I wont be coming home with this boat unless engine works and motors us around the bay and sails raise and fill with wind. I'm not planning to strip this boat for parts as that would be a shame but being able to always have a working boat and no down time would help me fix the other on my terms.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
the trip east is going to cost you about $1,000.00 in road expenses at best if you do it on the cheap...the part about haveing 2 boats just alike is cool....the fact that it has a running engine is sorta cool ...the 110 jib is nice too .....but you seem to want a diesel in your earlyer post ....and like i said you need to go slow on what you are trying to do ....to save the cost as much as possible and make sure this is what you really want ......who knows there may come a deal that will let you trade up a notch and not cost you a bundle or you may find a diesel in your back yard.....and as for the jib ...there are a lot of used sails out there ...you just have to do the searches.....

to quote a member here "its your boat... your choice"....good luck ....

regards

woody

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
the trip east is going to cost you about $1,000.00 in road expenses at best if you do it on the cheap...the part about haveing 2 boats just alike is cool....the fact that it has a running engine is sorta cool ...the 110 jib is nice too .....but you seem to want a diesel in your earlyer post ....and like i said you need to go slow on what you are trying to do ....to save the cost as much as possible and make sure this is what you really want ......who knows there may come a deal that will let you trade up a notch and not cost you a bundle or you may find a diesel in your back yard.....and as for the jib ...there are a lot of used sails out there ...you just have to do the searches.....

to quote a member here "its your boat... your choice"....good luck ....

regards

woody
Thanks I needed that. Patience is not my strong suit.
I figure closer to 1500 for traveling expense and hope it would still be around when a nice vacation road trip with the wife would be a plus. The engine search continues for sure but it seems most of the used engines I have seen are questionable and the ones that sound to good to be true i.e... very clean, very low hours, runs great, leave me wondering why did you take it out of your boat then? Hence I am leaning towards new at the moment or something with assurances. New is not going anywhere so I will continue to scour the usual places for a reliable engine.

Everyones advice has been great, keep it coming, and I hope you all don't mind be bouncing all these ideas of you. I need your reminders, to take my time and think it all through to get the best result.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
How many hp do u need...Red

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you are looking at new then i suggest that you look at Bata Mairne...i have read some good reports about there set up ....one memeber on here has used them with great results....Gary Linger......he will be more than glad to share his experiances with you about that product.....you should be able to find a used yanny for around $2,500. or so and you can also look at Thorrenson Marine they rebuild them all the time and have a good selection of yannys in stock and also an exchange program...but you would have to have an old one to turn in...find you a used 2gm that is not broken on the head or the block but doesnt run and offer them 400 or 500 for it and use it as the core motor that may be the way to go ......again good luck

regards

woody

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
if you are looking at new then i suggest that you look at Bata Mairne...i have read some good reports about there set up ....one memeber on here has used them with great results....Gary Linger......he will be more than glad to share his experiances with you about that product.....you should be able to find a used yanny for around $2,500. or so and you can also look at Thorrenson Marine they rebuild them all the time and have a good selection of yannys in stock and also an exchange program...but you would have to have an old one to turn in...find you a used 2gm that is not broken on the head or the block but doesnt run and offer them 400 or 500 for it and use it as the core motor that may be the way to go ......again good luck

regards

woody
Interesting and innovative idea. I'll look into it.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Woody,I repowered with a beta kubota 35 last year. It is a great inovative diesel,I got tons of support from dealer, and did the entire job myself. u can find a dealer online and get a price for a 20 hp, I think u may find it more affordable than u think. One thing nice about new is you keep it up from the start and its easy to take care of, with my old motor I was fighting a new battle every day...any advice u need pm me..Red

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
I Second New

I had been trailer sailing for years with old outboards. One time I had a used motor I bought for 200$ got it running and decided to go out. I had my Brittish seagull in the cabin for spare. Well, the used 200 motor quit on me in 20k winds and I almost blew onto the rocky shore-i caught a chanel marker and tied off while i swapped out motors. Turns out the wireing was shot on the motor and too old for parts. Then got another used motor. One day was taking my kids out and decided to start motor in the driveway but it did'nt pump water so i qickly installed waterpump to save the day, but when i tried to start it again it would'nt start-day lost! Next day I purchased a $2400 high thrust, electric start, 4stroke, extra long shaft yamaha outboard and never looked back, never lost a day of sailing due to unreliable outboard. That was worth the $100 a month payment.

Jan 28, 2012
S2 8.0C Back yard
I had been trailer sailing for years with old outboards. One time I had a used motor I bought for 200$ got it running and decided to go out. I had my Brittish seagull in the cabin for spare. Well, the used 200 motor quit on me in 20k winds and I almost blew onto the rocky shore-i caught a chanel marker and tied off while i swapped out motors. Turns out the wireing was shot on the motor and too old for parts. Then got another used motor. One day was taking my kids out and decided to start motor in the driveway but it did'nt pump water so i qickly installed waterpump to save the day, but when i tried to start it again it would'nt start-day lost! Next day I purchased a $2400 high thrust, electric start, 4stroke, extra long shaft yamaha outboard and never looked back, never lost a day of sailing due to unreliable outboard. That was worth the $100 a month payment.
Your reality is my current concern. Sailing with my wife and 3 kids makes me a-lot more cautious. An outboard would work in the short term but as my boat is a center cockpit w/ high freeboard I don't think it would be a viable long term solution or pleasing to the eye.

Has anybody else tried this with a similar boat?
Do you have pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.