Looking for a used Swing Keel for a Catalina 22

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 22 Des Moines, WA
Started to re-furbish the swing keel on my 1976 Catalina 22. Way overdue!!!

Unfortunately, the keel has corroded to the point where it cannot re-furbished. Too much material rusted away above the pin area. To buy a new one from Catalina Yachts is too expensive.

Anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a used Swing Keel for sale that might need some minor re-furbishment? Or has anyone tried having a foundry cast a new one?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I'm sure there is salvage out there, the problem is they weigh #400 or #500

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Post pics of how 'bad' the pin area really is. Look at my resto thread and you'll see close up pics of mine which was pretty bad as well. I used high density filler/epoxy to restore the missing material backed up by glass tape. I promise its strongest than original cast iron was.

Link; Starts on page 3 and there is more on page 4;

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...n-of-1981-c-22-swing-keel-10580.166613/page-3

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
There was a posting of a swing keel for sale here in Florida, looked decent.

Don

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 22 Des Moines, WA
A good suggestion. I'll check them out this week. Attached are pictures of the keel pin area. As you can see, the problem is the area above the pin.
IMG_0803[1].JPG

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Yup, that looks pretty bad... I guess mine might have had just a bit more material to work with but hard to tell without sand blasting. I would say finding another keel that is in better shape is your best bet. To put in all the work to sand blast and then fill/shape/tape with fiberglass would be in the $500 total material cost range, and you still might feel questionable about missing that must cast iron around the pin. Try to get the used keel at a good price and hopefully you can get a scrap metal salvage cost for the old one. Even if you get less than a dollar a pound its worth it to try to recycle it. Starting with a better keel will give you peace of mind, but still sand blast and epoxy seal it, using high density filler where missing material is.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
depending on your financial but catalina still sells them new 2k for the new lead/stainless/fiberglass ones never a future problem.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm definitely hoping/planning to sell my keel at some point, and go pick up one of those.

What is an iron keel in good condition worth, anyway? Maybe I should do it sooner rather than later, before Catalina Yachts goes back to iron keels, or goes out of business or something.

Mar 4, 2016
Catalina 22 Clearlake, Calif.
There has been one on Craigs list recently. I think it was Madera Calif. The guy wanted $350 if my memory is correct. If it is not still listed, you might put a wanted post in that region. Good Luck. Grant.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I have decided to part out my 72 C-22. She has only been in fresh water 5 months after I restored the keel. SS insert in pin hole and the few areas of rust were rotary wire brushed down to bare metal and reseal with West sys epoxy. The keel is in very good condition. I can take some pics if you are interested. BTW I have bought a C-25 SK. Any one need any other parts let me know. I/m located in NW Arkansas near the corner with OK and MO. see pics in my classified ad boats for sale on this site. also delivery available.
Thanks James

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2016
Catalina 22 Clearlake, Calif.
I just discovered the classified section (boat gear) and there seem to be a couple of swing keels for sale and a couple of parting boat out adds. Have you looked there? ____Grant.