Looking for a Turn-key Liveaboard Cruiser

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
An optimistic view:

Our '77 h27 is probably too small for you, but here are some key points to consider:

- Despite old sails, and the surveyor's (correct) opinion that the mast step was waterlogged, she was in good condition to cruise on Lake Erie (including a trip across the lake and back) for 20 nights on our first summer.

- over 23 years, we have spent around $1,000+ per year on maintenance and upgrades. The first year, we bought a couple of sails, and the next year, we had the mast step rebuilt. Some say the cost goes up as the square of the length. Work out a reasonable estimate for the range of boats you want to consider. The only exceptions to this average were replacing the sails every 10 years, and replacing the engine after 12 years. I have had a competent yard do most of this maintenance/upgrading. Do it yourself work will reduce that cost.

- how big a boat do you need for a live aboard? This varies a lot from person to person. My brother and his wife have lived very happily in a 24 foot trailer (comparable to a 30 foot boat) for the past 5 years. The Admiral and I have happily cruised 8 weeks on our h27. Some posters on this thread need 42 feet. What do you need?

- preparing an older boat with the right design for blue water cruising (crossing oceans) is an exacting, detailed process. The Pacific Northwest is a fabulous cruising ground with lots of different kinds of destinations. You could combine that life with upgrades to get ready for a blue water cruise over 5 years or more. It will probably take you that long to prepare yourself for such a cruise.

- On boat design, I strongly recommend "Choosing a Cruising Sailboat" by Roger Marshall - available on Amazon. If you are determined to prepare for blue water cruising, I would send you my copy of "The Pacific Cup Handbook" by Jim and Sue Corenman. It's a very detailed checklist and explanation of all the preparations you and your boat need to set out to cross oceans.

My conclusion: You can find a 30 to 34 foot sail away cruiser if you can afford the annual maintenance/improvement budget of $1,500 to $2,000. Other than the engine and a whole new set of sails - items you can evaluate during the purchase/survey process older fiberglass boats are remarkably durable, and repairs/upgrades are reasonable over time. I would be confident of finding a good solution for your desires on such a strategy.

Fair winds and following seas!