Looking for a Turn-key Liveaboard Cruiser

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
I am a newbie. Been looking for a liveaboard cruising sailboat on and off for a year of so now. Have been unable to find a liveaboard cruiser to my liking and/or in my price range ($25-$50,000 USD) that is "turn-key" ready. Have been searching on Canada's west coast and am mainly finding weekender boats. Are "turn-key" cruisers sometimes found on here whereby somebody is at the end of their current cruising adventure and is offering to sell their boat whereby they would step off and I would step on? Is this a realistic possibility?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Boats in that price range will need work. They can be suitable to live aboard, however, they will not be turn-key.

Why? Because boats that have been used as a live aboard get a lot of use which results in normal wear and tear. Someone who is selling their live aboard boat is not going to spend a lot of money on the boat because it will not be reflected in the selling price.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do not believe that such a creature exists. Even many brand new boats have systems or equipment that needs reworking or replacement before they are fit to cross oceans..
After over 6 decades of "messing about in boats", professionally and for pleasure, I think you would be hard pressed to find a sailboat fit to cross oceans for $50k, unless you have absolutely need for creature comforts. In your position, I'd work a few more years for good wages and acquire a better, probably more expensive boat, and a cruising kitty, as making a living cruising (other than remotely, which may limit your movement) is difficult and dangerous in most countries, if you are not a citizen.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are "turn-key" cruisers sometimes found on here whereby somebody is at the end of their current cruising adventure and is offering to sell their boat whereby they would step off and I would step on? Is this a realistic possibility?
:wow3:
Feel you may be looking for a Unicorn.

Do you have a clear identifiable description of your vision “live aboard cruiser to my liking”, and "turn-key" cruiser.

There are boats out there, but without definitive conditions it would be impossible to enlist others (brokers) help.

I bought a project boat and I think it is nearly ready for cruising. It has taken me a little over half your budget to get here. I have had set backs. I have also had some memories of cruising in the process of getting to where I am. Granted the boat was not turn-key. But she was safe for the adventures we have taken. My boat is not the all you could wish for boat. She does fill 85-90% of the conditions I have set for cruising. I’ve looked at other boats and they also measure up the same or a little less. Most important is my boat can get me on the water sooner than any other. And that is an important factor.

Keep looking. You never know when your dream boat may appear.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not sure what exactly you are looking for in a boat…

but here are some heavier, full-keel beauties on the pacific coast…I threw in one or 2 that not full keel…and all under $50K.

repowered

Greg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
One sometimes sees listings that say a boat is “cruise ready” or “ready for cruising”, etc. I’ve seen a few such listings but hardly in your price range. Search yacht world and web on “cruise ready sailboat” and maybe you’ll hit on a couple. Take it from there.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I am a newbie. Have been unable to find a liveaboard cruiser to my liking and/or in my price range ($25-$50,000 USD) that is "turn-key" ready.
The price range you are stating puts you in a fairly small boat size range for a turnkey live aboard cruiser. That price range, for myself, would be an impossible task. But I would need at least a 36 foot boat preferably bigger, and then throwing in turnkey and you are in dream land.

In the price range you are looking for, I'd say you'd need to probably be under a 30 foot boat. Which for me would not be an acceptable live aboard. But there are folks where that is fine.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just as a FYI, I looked through the list of boats that @Tally Ho sent you and while a very nice list, I seriously doubt any one of those boats I would personally consider "turnkey". But that in my mind means I have no further work to do on the boat.

Good luck.

dj

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
IMHO boats in that price range and of that age will require constant maintenance by the new owner. You may find one that someone just stepped off, but rest assured their hands will still be dirty from the last repair or upgrade that they performed. Hopefully, you are prepared to tackle the problems that come up as you cruise. Some of us enjoy that challenge. If that is not you then consider Capta's advice and buy something newer and more expensive that will not require as much maintenance attention, at least for awhile.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
My dock neighbor just sold one of his boats. It was a 1973 Columbia 30 that he spend a good deal of time completely rebuilding the cabin and resealing the windows. He got it for free when the person he had sold it to five years able left it in the slip and never took it out. The hull is built like a tank. He sold it for $3,500.00. All it needed was a new jib. In your price range I would look for someone really old who has had his boat for thirty years and needs to sell.

Nov 13, 2010
Hunter Passage 42 New Orleans
I am a newbie. Been looking for a liveaboard cruising sailboat on and off for a year of so now. Have been unable to find a liveaboard cruiser to my liking and/or in my price range ($25-$50,000 USD) that is "turn-key" ready. Have been searching on Canada's west coast and am mainly finding weekender boats. Are "turn-key" cruisers sometimes found on here whereby somebody is at the end of their current cruising adventure and is offering to sell their boat whereby they would step off and I would step on? Is this a realistic possibility?
Your price point makes this difficult. We have what you are looking for but not at that price. After 15 years, 12 as liveaboards, we are selling our 1992 Passage 42. We intend to continue sailing until a new owner steps aboard which means she’s in tip top shape.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Where are you planning on cruising? If it's coastal, then something like a Catalina 30 might work and some nice ones can be had for 15-30k. Regardless of what you end up with, you'll want to put aside some money for new/different equipment that works for you, not the previous owner

Jun 21, 2014
Freedom 32 Venice
Congrats on entering the world of sailing! Enjoy the journey. Most of the Salts in here know more than 10 of me. Let’s go forward with an old saying we all know: “where there’s a will, there’s a way“. It will take time and patience. OR you will hit pay dirt the first day. One never knows, do one? . Oh one more…. The one about “everyone has one” maybe read with a grain of saltwater but never ever try theirs on!

QUESTION-where- once you take possession of a 10 ton lead box where are you going to keep it? how are you going to get it there? Are you on navigable water? how far is sailable water from your permanent Liveaboard dock? Utility arrangement? Insurance How happy are the existing residents? How close are needed businesses? Will you need a car and or dinghy from home port?

QUESTION- in a 5 year plan, what will you have checked off your list? Based on your experience today is it a viable plan with realistic goals?

QUESTION: what are your current living conditions? Bedrooms? Bathrooms? Other rooms? Square footage? Can you see yourself in a reduced air space with a sleep area and head? Can you see yourself moving from your existing square footage to approximately 30 ft.² do you have a minimum requirement of personal items that will go on the boat? How much room does that leave for other stuff?(50% ) Have you access to every nook and cranny that you can use for storage?

Here are some starters. If you get through these questions and haven’t quit, congratulations. If you want to move to discussing your vessel, let me know otherwise, I’ll shut up.

Feb 3, 2021
Your price point makes this difficult. We have what you are looking for but not at that price. After 15 years, 12 as liveaboards, we are selling our 1992 Passage 42. We intend to continue sailing until a new owner steps aboard which means she’s in tip top shape.
After reading all the comments, and through the process of my search, it does indeed appear I am looking for something that may well not exist. Thanks for you comment. If I find some more money I'll reach out to you (smile).

Feb 3, 2021
Congrats on entering the world of sailing! Enjoy the journey. Most of the Salts in here know more than 10 of me. Let’s go forward with an old saying we all know: “where there’s a will, there’s a way“. It will take time and patience. OR you will hit pay dirt the first day. One never knows, do one? . Oh one more…. The one about “everyone has one” maybe read with a grain of saltwater but never ever try theirs on!

QUESTION-where- once you take possession of a 10 ton lead box where are you going to keep it? how are you going to get it there? Are you on navigable water? how far is sailable water from your permanent Liveaboard dock? Utility arrangement? Insurance How happy are the existing residents? How close are needed businesses? Will you need a car and or dinghy from home port?

QUESTION- in a 5 year plan, what will you have checked off your list? Based on your experience today is it a viable plan with realistic goals?

QUESTION: what are your current living conditions? Bedrooms? Bathrooms? Other rooms? Square footage? Can you see yourself in a reduced air space with a sleep area and head? Can you see yourself moving from your existing square footage to approximately 30 ft.² do you have a minimum requirement of personal items that will go on the boat? How much room does that leave for other stuff?(50% ) Have you access to every nook and cranny that you can use for storage?

Here are some starters. If you get through these questions and haven’t quit, congratulations. If you want to move to discussing your vessel, let me know otherwise, I’ll shut up.
Yes, it is an emotional roller coaster for sure. All your questions are great and depending on my emotional state at the time of consideration, I have answers for them all. But as I view boat after boat and consider the reality of everything it does cause me to hesitate. And then there's the money thing, that everyone is telling me is very low for a real chance of achieving what I want ????

Jun 21, 2014
Freedom 32 Venice
Remember, this is not reality based YET.
I have yet to see your base requirements regarding a vessel it’s like you’re asking for advice, but not saying what for. Get beyond the MLK “I have a dream”moment and talk the what I have what I want

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I think there have been some great responses so far. @Tally Ho put up a solid list and @gulfcoastsailor asked great questions which will help you refine your search.

I have a couple of questions too.

Define cruising. I could go to the marina and ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. On the Chesapeake Bay quick answers would be day cruising, over night cruises, Annapolis and back, sightseeing, coastal or blue water.

Live aboard..... It has a nice ring to it. That said, it is not a small home, an apartment, or a tiny home. It is back to my navy days where everything I own fits into a seabag, a suit bag and a shower kit. Food and potable water storage is not much better. Speaking of potable water, if storage is limited do you intend to make it? Does your price include a water maker?

With slips becoming tough to find, will you rent one for your homeport? Do you attend moor or anchor? A slip allows for comfort features, water electricity, a parking place. In my marina fees are higher for live aboard. In Virginia electricity is higher if you do not live aboard. If you moor or anchor does your cost realistically include a dingy? Is there a way to safe guard your dingy when you do go ashore? That is a question for cruising too, the world is full of pirates, scoundrels, scallywags and idiots. Example, our marina has a restaurant. My best friend caught a family letting their children board, tour and play on boats at the marina while they waited on a table.

If you do rent a slip as a homeport are you budgeting to keep it while cruise? Or, find a new one when you get back?

My suggestion, by a starter sailboat. Learn to sail. Hang out listen to sea stories and tall tales, and figure what is really on your heart.

Good luck and peace be with you.

PS I just read this update

Yes, it is an emotional roller coaster for sure. All your questions are great and depending on my emotional state at the time of consideration, I have answers for them all. But as I view boat after boat and consider the reality of everything it does cause me to hesitate. And then there's the money thing, that everyone is telling me is very low for a real chance of achieving what I want ????
after reading it, I am doubling down on my suggestion.

My suggestion, by a starter sailboat. Learn to sail. Hang out listen to sea stories and tall tales, and figure what is really on your heart.

Good luck and peace be with you.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I highly doubt what you seek exists.
buy a cruising boat that is generally set up well but needs minor refit. or buy a bare boat and set it up the way you want with all new stuff