Loading a Catalina 30 MK11 trailer 1st time

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I have purchased a new float on trailer custom built for a new to me Catalina 30 MK11 fin keel that I need to get home.
I am thinking it probably would be a good idea to have a crane sit it on the trailer the first time to get the proper fit.
Does anyone have experience with this? Pretty expensive operation where its located ($1300).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That would be wise, but expensive. We are so blessed that our club has its own crane we can use for free. Even then sailors have to be cautious that they set their boats down carefully so that the pads touch where they are supposed to.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
How do you plan to unstep the mast ? Is there a travel lift available ?

Mar 26, 2014
How do you plan to unstep the mast ? Is there a travel lift available ?
I already unstepped the mast the first time I had it out of the water. I assumed it would fit on my son's trailer for a Hunter 28.5 ! I was wrong , that's how I know it cost $1300 to get it loaded. I think I'm going to rename this boat SV/ FINANCIAL TITANIC. Have made many 500 mile round trips. I might write a book on how not to buy a boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Ok, so you tried to fit on a smaller trailer. Was the a float on or crane?

Mar 26, 2014
Ok, so you tried to fit on a smaller trailer. Was the a float on or crane?
Well my boat was 1 1/2 feet longer and 6 inches wider. I assumed it would work, the trailer was adjustable but the rear pads just weren't quite long enough. we had to use a crane.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Floating one on and off the trailer isn't hard, but you need to take the time to set it up or get it set up right. Keel guides and a robust keel stop are essential for stress free loading.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I'm pretty sure I know which boat you are talking about. There a number of boats that will be launching in the spring. I would contact the service department and arrange to have yours pulled then. The cost would be less since the crane costs are split between the boats.

Mar 26, 2014
I'm pretty sure I know which boat you are talking about. There a number of boats that will be launching in the spring. I would contact the service department and arrange to have yours pulled then. The cost would be less since the crane costs are split between the boats.
Yep that's me! I really need to get it home to work on it but nothing has turned out the way I had it planned.
I'm about 250 miles from the boat and have an extensive list of maintence and repairs to do before it goes to my lake.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Distance is the bane of all boat projects. The more complicated the project the more frustrating distance becomes. :banghead:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Yep that's me! I really need to get it home to work on it but nothing has turned out the way I had it planned.
I'm about 250 miles from the boat and have an extensive list of maintence and repairs to do before it goes to my lake.
What do you plan to tow with ?