Line sizes for Catalina 27

Oct 18, 2013
Catalina 27 Vernon, BC (Okanagan Lake)
Ahoy there!

I have inherited a mixture of different line sizes on my Catalina 27 (1988 with wing keel) some of which seem oversized and some that seem undersized. Could anyone point me, a beginner, to where I can find out what size each line should be as a baseline? I am not into racing, just day cruising. If it makes any difference I am currently sailing within San Francisco Bay.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Trevor
Chica II, San Jose CA

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I like my halyard, traveler, and topping lift at 5/16" and my main and jib sheets at 3/8".

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
I also use 3/8 for jib sheets, anything smaller is hard on the hands. I use 5/16 on all halyards and most other miscellaneous lines, and 1/4 on some other control lines.

Oct 18, 2013
Thanks to both of you. I can now make a plan to replace what I have, most of which is way oversize.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I have a C22 and like 3/8ths for halyards and 7/16th's for working lines like job sheets, it feels better on the hands. Thin line stinks... I actually have 1/2" on my mainsheet too...

Oct 18, 2013
So far the discussion seems focused on comfort in handling. Are there other aspects to take into account such as strength, how well it grips the winch, etc.?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's a simple response, but if it grips the winch, it's fine. 5/16 through 1/2 should be no issue at all, and it really comes down to comfort. You are (for all intents and purposes) never going to see an issue with the breaking strength on any of these lines on that boat, and you're more likely to see the lines degrade by sun damage than much of anything else.
Get the sizes that are easy to handle.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Another factor is size vs sheaves. Internal halyards on smaller boats run through some pretty small sheaves. I've owned Capri 22's that 5/16" halyards barely run well and 3/8" would be nye impossible. I use hi-tech 1/4" for halyards, 5/16" jib sheets and 3/8" mainsheet. As others have said, strength is not an issue these days.