Line Configuation on Garhaure Boom Vang

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
All, I took off my lines to clean them up and figured it would be so simple I did not need to make note of how they were configured.:eek: They seem to overlap which does not seem right. Can someone post a picture? Thanks

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
cover (2).JPG

If you have one line, it probably runs the length of the vang and has several strands through the blocks. Mine has a second set of blocks to increase the pull on the main line so I can collapse the vang. My boom is heavy needing this larger vang. With the triple blocks, I started from the middle and then out. Check a riggers site, it may be more helpful.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks All. The first pic from PaulJ gave me what I needed. I like how he has a single line and how it is routed. Not sure now why mine had two pieces of line.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks All. The first pic from PaulJ gave me what I needed. I like how he has a single line and how it is routed. Not sure now why mine had two pieces of line.
Now you know why old geezers like myself take pictures before we dismantle anything. I asked my Doc to do that once, he said it’s only going to look like a long dark tunnel.

Sep 29, 2008
Now you know why old geezers like myself take pictures before we dismantle anything. I asked my Doc to do that once, he said it’s only going to look like a long dark tunnel.
AllUGet you are absolutely right. My mistake was looking at it and thinking "that is simple, hold my beer."

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I replaced my line this weekend and noted my lower block was not attached to the base of the mast like @paulj but was actually sharing the same lower attach point on the vang as the other block. This didn't seem right as they were hitting and rubbing, I saw a tang attached to the lower bolt of the vang bracket on the mast and moved it there. Looking at these pics I'm wondering if I need to move it to the base of the mast to an open position instead? Also I'm finding that I have to load the vang all the time to get a flat sail as unloaded it pushes the mast end up and causes sail issues. My first vang like this so maybe this is right.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
That appears to be the same vang that was used on my 320. When I got the boat the boom would hit the dodger so I took it in to Garhauer. They said "Looks like it's missing a spring" they took it apart and found one less than "as built" and added one. They didn't know if factory or original owner (an ASA instructor) had removed a spring. Doesn't hit the dodger now but does require active loading, as you know. The springs are short and very rigid, I think there were 4 total.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
With my vang off the boom is well above the bimini, with it on it is just barely above it for tacks / jibs. I may even just consider a new main down the line to increase this space more.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My vang has two lines, one heavier than the other. I assume this is the factory setup.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My vang has two lines, one heavier than the other. I assume this is the factory setup.
There is a heavier line that runs the to blocks on both ends of the piston. The aft and upper end of the line is made to double block. That double block has smaller line that goes to the swivel on the mast. It gets turned and directed thru a flat x3 block and runs to the cockpit.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not sure now why mine had two pieces of line.
Are you sure you don’t have a “cascaded” vang as that would explain the two lines. If the original setup was and you don’t put it back you will have to exert a lot more force to accomplish the setting you want.

Obviously the following isn’t a Garhaurer rig but it easy to see the two separate pieces of line

EC52D1A0-1B7F-4A1A-A303-9B07AD8721DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Not on our C310. Just one line. Maybe CY used different vangs over the years?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not on our C310. Just one line. Maybe CY used different vangs over the years?
Very likely that CY changed the vang setup. Mine is a 2003. The smaller control line runs through multiple blocks and makes it easier to adjust the vang, as mentioned in a previous post.