Like a bad case of piles, I have returned

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Today, Brian handed me the keys to the forum once again. He did a terrific job of keeping this mess of duct tape and baling wire together while I was gone. All of us owe him our thanks.

My mystery absence was caused by a run-in with throat cancer. Fortunately, it was a type that's rarely fatal but the treatment can be difficult. They caught it early, I was lucky to tolerate the radiation and chemo pretty well, and now the tough part is in the rearview mirror. My final CT scan is a couple months away but the oncologist says she's only seen one case of this that wasn't cured by the first round of treatment. So the current goal is gaining strength, avoiding COVID, and getting past chemo-brain... which is a real thing.

Bonus: I've been sheltered in place for three months so life doesn't feel any different under the stay-at-home order!

I appreciate everyone's cooperation in my absence. It's good to be back!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Today, Brian handed me the keys to the forum once again. He did a terrific job of keeping this mess of duct tape and baling wire together while I was gone. All of us owe him our thanks.

My mystery absence was caused by a run-in with throat cancer. Fortunately, it was a type that's rarely fatal but the treatment can be difficult. They caught it early, I was lucky to tolerate the radiation and chemo pretty well, and now the tough part is in the rearview mirror. My final CT scan is a couple months away but the oncologist says she's only seen one case of this that wasn't cured by the first round of treatment. So the current goal is gaining strength, avoiding COVID, and getting past chemo-brain... which is a real thing.

Bonus: I've been sheltered in place for three months so life doesn't feel any different under the stay-at-home order!

I appreciate everyone's cooperation in my absence. It's good to be back!
Praying for a swift and complete recovery for you.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Glad you're through the worst part of the treatment and doing well. A friend had that and it was rough. He's doing well a couple of years out.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Like a bad case of piles, I have returned

Ouch, that's a little painful :sosad:
My best wishes for a speedy recovery. May it all turn out to be just a bad dream.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome back Phil.
Brian did such a good job it was like you weren’t even missed. :stir:

Thank you Brian.

Good leaders are like coaches who train the team to step in when needed and no one knows that anything has changed. Doing it after just doing a major change over now that is gutsy.

Good to have you back Phil. Now don’t do it again. :biggrin:

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Glad you're through the nasty period of the treatment and doing well enough to resume your functions. Thanks and Kudos to Brian of course but welcome back and take care of yourself, particularly now with this covid threat !

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I know the amount of work that goes into a site like this. Guys like you are the unsung heroes of our group. Thank you and stay well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is great to hear you are doing well. As others have said, may it be permanent.

Brian is da man. He did an outstanding job. Still, it's good to have you back.

And in case I haven't done so before, Thank you for all you've done to give us this awesome place to talk about sailboats and other related stuff. What an amazing community. :clap: I am lucky to have stumbled upon it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm very happy to hear you are back. May the statistics stay on your side!

Thanks to Brian for sure in your absence. But really happy to have you back!

dj

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
Phil... It has been a lotta years of excellence. I'm very pleased you've fought your way through. It's like having Dad return from a trip - all feels right again in the SBO family.