Light Air Sailing C310

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I found some pics from @paulj setup with turning blocks aft. Dumb question but with the code 0 do I run 2 sheets to tack it? Several photos show single sheets only.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have done it with both 1 and 2 sheets. The Admiral feels safer doing it this way use 1 sheet but have both sheets out so when tacking I use the sock then re-tie the sheet.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’ve used 2 sheets. Turn down wind. Let the sail blow forward out in front of the bow. Retrieve the lazy sheet in as you gybe the boat and take up the new tack. Sail goes out in front of bow and is retrieved on opposite tack.
Note this is done in a light breeze. This after all is a light wind sail. As breeze picks up reefing or dousing the sail with the sock, tacking/gybing and then flying the sail on the new tack is also a technique.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I attach snatch blocks to the stern cleats for my asymmetric. The red shock cord keeps the block from hitting the deck.picture I
Spinnaker Snatch Block 1.jpeg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @KZW I think that is the setup I'll start with.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@JRT
Are you considering a top down furler for the new sail? I Google earthed your lake and it looks long and not relatively wide. Having the ability to efficiently douse and redeploy the new sail due to wind shift or “boat traffic” would be nice.
I’ve sailed with a sock and now an asym furler and find the furler as much an improvement over the sock as adding the sock in the first place.
The other benefit to the furler is the new sail can be rigged and ready to use before you leave the dock or at any point during your sailing time you decide to deploy it. Not that you couldn’t do that without the furler but you have to justify the $ in the furler somehow ;).

KZW

May 17, 2014
I have a sock. One must go to the foredeck to rig it for raising and then to douse and lower the chute. Another C-310 in the area just got a furler. The advantage is you can deploy and furl from the cockpit. However, one must still go forward to raise it and take it down as there is insufficient clearance at the top of the mast - it fouls the Genoa furler. A crane is needed.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I use just one sheet line....just easy for me. I am not saying which is better.

paulj
:hook2:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Well, I'm jealous of the crane. I've not seen anyone with a pattern or drawing for one that fits the Charleston Spar roller furling main on the 310. Without a crane, the spinnaker halyard to too close to the Genoa fuller. I've tried to set the chute with the Genoa out and drawing. However, trying to furl the Genoa results in it fouling the chute or chute hazard. So, the process is furl the Genoa, raise the chute, raise the sock. It is slow, but it keeps the lines clear.

I tack the symmetric to the bail on the anchor roller. It must be gybed on the outside as there is insufficient room between the furled genoa and the asymmetric. I've not yet trapped the lazy sheet under the boat, but I'm sure it will happen one day - at a most inopportune time.

I don't fly it in winds above 12 knots. One must know their limitations. Above that, the 155 Genoa provides sufficient speed for me.

In rather light air one evening I polled out the Genoa to windward, and flew the asymmetric on the lee. It was the last leg on an August Wednesday night. It appeared as if the Genoa scooped up sufficient air forward of the mast, keeping the symmetric inflated. Otherwise, at 170 degrees apparent, the main would have blanked the chute. Given all the lines, etc, there was no way we were going to be able to round a mark. We took some time to get it all down.

My crowning achievement on Wednesday evening races was when a symmetrical spinnaker boat, that had considerable speed on us, tried to pass us upwind. With the asymmetric we took them up until their chute collapsed. They then dropped back and went below us trying to pass. We eased down to keep them in our lee to prevent them passing. I have a video, but it is too large to upload.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I've not yet trapped the lazy sheet under the boat, but I'm sure it will happen one day - at a most inopportune time.
@Jackdaw gave me two tips that really reduce the chance of this happening.
One is to sew a gybulator onto the tack of the sail. Just a piece of semi stiff material to catch the lazy sheet.
Two was to use a short wand at the bow, for the same reason.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
@Jackdaw gave me two tips that really reduce the chance of this happening.
One is to sew a gybulator onto the tack of the sail. Just a piece of semi stiff material to catch the lazy sheet.
Two was to use a short wand at the bow, for the same reason.
i had to look up gybulator to see if you were making that up!!! lol..

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
i had to look up gybulator to see if you were making that up!!! lol..
Not made up. The Australians have a saltier name for it, but if I mention it here I’ll probably get banned by some curmudgeon.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'll check with Precision about adding it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I haven't re-rigged the second jib halyard, so we are flying inside the forestay for now but...
@rukidn how is the tack attached inside? I have the sheets and turning blocks figured out but originally I was planning to attach to the bail on the anchor roller. @KZW I saw this was your approach, was any other changes needed to tie the anchor roller down? Anyone try a soft shackle for the tack?

20191205_095436.jpg

KZW

May 17, 2014
I tied the tack line to a pin shackle on the spinnaker tack cringle, and attach a snap shackle-single block on the anchor bail. The tack line runs through the block then to the sail. The line goes back to the cockpit. It makes the tack easy to adjust. The two other C-310s at the marina do the same. Never been an issue. Makes it easy to attach and take off.

I will take a better picture next time I rig it and post it here. Given the weather, it will be some number of days.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I didn't think I needed an adjustable tack on a code 0?

KZW

May 17, 2014
With the asymmetric spinnaker, I ease the tack to let the sail rotate to the upwind side of the boat, as the wind goes aft. This keeps the chute from being blanketed by the main and collapsing.