Lift keel design of 323, 31, and 311

Mar 5, 2011
Beneteau 311 keel/CB Suamico Wi.
I have a 2001 311 keel/ CB. I have personally had the keel down and the mechanism out and rebuilt the linkage. I have cruised it and club raced it for 3 seasons. I have quite a few pictures I could share and a lot of info on upgrades I have done. Email your contact number and I would gladly call you and answer some of your questions and concerns. I am quite happy with the boat. tpierquet@hotmail.com

Nov 11, 2013
Beneteau 311 tampa
Here's a maintenance diagram which shows how it works in a 311 and also a larger drawing
Thanks for this info, reworb. If the fully extended center board hits an object, or hidden sand bar or sea bed then does the mechanism allow for the board to kick up? The 311 centerboard is 600 lbs of iron. Is it possible to actually lose the board (drops off) if the screw thread fails?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for this info, reworb. If the fully extended center board hits an object, or hidden sand bar or sea bed then does the mechanism allow for the board to kick up? The 311 centerboard is 600 lbs of iron. Is it possible to actually lose the board (drops off) if the screw thread fails?
The First 260 uses the exact same mechanism design for its 1500 lbs, 6 foot keel. The mechanism WILL lift in a grounding. While the board will not drop off, it is possible to damage the screw if the board/keel is pushed up and then drops a distance. Normally it slides down with the deepening bottom. We damaged ours when we ran over a hidden mooring cable at a floating marina. The keel dropped two feet and broke the end of the screw. We hired a diver to replace it in the water. The boat was fine, we just could not lift the keel.

Nov 11, 2013
Beneteau 311 tampa
The First 260 uses the exact same mechanism design for its 1500 lbs, 6 foot keel. The mechanism WILL lift in a grounding. While the board will not drop off, it is possible to damage the screw if the board/keel is pushed up and then drops a distance. Normally it slides down with the deepening bottom. We damaged ours when we ran over a hidden mooring cable at a floating marina. The keel dropped two feet and broke the end of the screw. We hired a diver to replace it in the water. The boat was fine, we just could not lift the keel.
Thanks for your helpful note, Jackdaw. I'm thinking about a method to use a low cost, helm operated electric hydraulic pump to raise & lower the B311 lifting keel. Would be good to know the keel position (0-100% down/up) vs. noting # winch handle turns anti-clock/clock....respond to changing depth/obstacle situations without diving below...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The First Class 7.5 (25 feet) and the First 27.7 both use hydraulic pumps (manual) to lift the keel. It lowers via a regulated release of pressure. It also has a hydraulic fuse that will pop the keel in a hard grounding, a great feature. The whole system might be available as parts via Beneteau.

The Pogos also use a simular system, with an electric pump replacing the manual pump.

Here is the 7.5 system. Pump on the right, ram in the center.

IMG_0585.JPG

Last edited: