Lifeline autopsy

Jun 15, 2020
Laguna 26 Laguna 26 Lake Washington
Since my lifelines were looking a bit scary, I decided to replace them with 1/4” Dyneema. If you’re interested in the process, here is the blog entry:

Dyneema lifelines

I brought the old lifelines home and actually took the time to cut away the plastic sheathing in three of the scariest looking areas to see what was underneath. Overall, it was not as bad as I had feared. Yes, there was some surface rust, but only a couple of individual strands had frayed. Perhaps this will make you feel a bit better if your lifelines looked as bad as mine did.

01F35BDB-1A3E-40FF-836D-DE2C3DA3D8BC.jpeg

9CB0426D-3D85-4152-A274-CDCCBEE7D9D7.jpeg

619F8839-A881-4E8B-8ABF-1B1018B328CD.jpeg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Actually, the worst of the corrosion is often deep inside the cable. Also, it only takes one bad spot (steel or Dyneema).

Dyneema is interesting stuff, but it still has a well-deserved reputation for chafing on even slight burrs. This is definitely an application with two sides.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is the task of every skipper to inspect his boat and the hardware that makes her function, in order to assure if only him/her self that the boat is capable of doing the task intended.

Lifelines are one of those pieces of hardware that has a specific task. Failure when needed is not an Option.

We untie the lines and venture out on the waters with the resources we put on the boat and the skills to utilize them. Bad resources or questionable skills will under certain conditions doom boat and or crew.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You have done what I will be doing. Though, I just returned the same hooks as I am planning on using soft shackles instead. As for the areas through the stanchion, I plan on sewing left over cover from when I made my spinnaker sheets. That should help with any chaffing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
areas through the stanchion,
The cover idea sounds good.
The issue is to smooth out any rough spots that may fray the line as it moves through the fixtures. A plastic insert will work for a while. The dyneema will have a tendency to groove through the softer plastic. I look at the plastic like I look at zincs on the prop. They give their life to protect the life line.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looking at the vinyl cover, I’m shocked anyone is shocked what was found underneath.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The cover idea sounds good.
The issue is to smooth out any rough spots that may fray the line as it moves through the fixtures. A plastic insert will work for a while. The dyneema will have a tendency to groove through the softer plastic. I look at the plastic like I look at zincs on the prop. They give their life to protect the life line.
wabi-sabi.

nothing that man does is perfect or permanent. So you make intelligent choices and live your life.

my bare ss lifelines seem to want to live forever in fresh water, but I check them monthly because I know they will not. Up next? Probably dyneema.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The covers haven't started coming off mine yet but it's time for replacement, can't decide between bare or covered. Could start with bare and if I receive any complaints put shroud covers on, then could at least check them occasionally.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
The cool kids go bare. The issue with covered is you can't see what is going on with the important stuff they are non-inspectable. I didn't actually see what was wrong with the OP wires. So I guess I am not a great judge. I replace when it gets to the meathook stage.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The vinyl covers on my lifelines looked just as bad as yours and our local race rules do not allow vinyl coated lifelines so I cut the covers off to see what they looked like under the covers. Mine had a red tinge of surface rust but did not have any fish hooks. I wiped on some Wichinox, let them sit for 15 minutes and hosed them off. They came out all shiny and bright and have been perfect ever since.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ours looked as bad as well. I cut the cover off in places and could find no issues with the wire. Because removing the cover was really difficult I chose to replace them with bare wire one size larger for comfort.

Ken

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I prefer stainless steel tubing for my top life line... Maybe not if I was racing...

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Ours looked as bad as well. I cut the cover off in places and could find no issues with the wire. Because removing the cover was really difficult I chose to replace them with bare wire one size larger for comfort.

Ken
I found mine to be very easy to remove. I took them completely off the boat and secured one end to a post. I then used an old pairing knife like a draw-knife to cut one side off. I held the knife two-handed by the handle and back of the blade near the tip. I worked with the blade under the wire and pulled it along the bottom of the wire which sliced of that edge. after that, the rest just peeled off.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I then used an old pairing knife like a draw-knife to cut one side off. I held the knife two-handed by the handle and back of the blade near the tip. I worked with the blade under the wire and pulled it along the bottom of the wire which sliced of that edge. after that, the rest just peeled off.
I did the same, but I drew the blade on the top of the lifleline while still on the boat. Held the blade as flat as it would go but still peel. Easy-Peasy.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Given the purpose of "lifelines" as a part of a boat's standing rig, I am puzzled that anyone would try to find some tortured logic to justify keeping them - especially if over 15 or 20 years old.

Apr 5, 2009
I did the same, but I drew the blade on the top of the lifleline while still on the boat. Held the blade as flat as it would go but still peel. Easy-Peasy.
I started out that way but the vinyl was very brittle and rather than coming off in a long curl, it popped off in little chips that all wanted to take a swim. by removing them I could confine them to the center of the concrete dock and sweep them up.