Life Rafts, Once Again

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I know that we as a forum have covered the topic of carrying life rafts aboard. It resurfaces whenever it comes time to certify, which typically is every three years. I just had mine done, a Plastimo Cruiser 4, to the surprising figure of $1,098, where labor accounted for about 25% of the cost. Three years ago it was just a bit more than $700 to certify. This year, over $160 in Pains Wessex flares-two parachute rockets & one hand held. Hydrostat the CO2 cylinder & refill @ $130, replace assorted burst membranes @ $120, just to mention a few items. I consider myself lucky that I can drive to the facility which is in Wilmington—13 miles from home, rather than have to spring for two-way shipping of about 50#.

I grumbled, naturally, but later thought of sailors we know who were rescued from their raft earlier this year after their 44’ yacht mysteriously began taking on water while in Mexican waters, and then sank:yikes:. At night, in bad weather, of course. It’s the age-old issue that arises in my thoughts about safety gear, as well as insurance generally. Cost of gear or coverage versus risk of loss. Risk of loss is generally low for any particular Individual, but the consequences of bad luck can be very severe. I remember reading a few years ago about a J-boat that inadvertently sailed into a pod of whales along Baja‘s Pacific coast. A large wave lifted them. They surfed down it to hit one of the whales, where the rudder took the impact. Snapped off the rudder and tore a hole in the bottom. They barely got into their raft b/f the boat sank. But, they had one!

Rafts take up a lot of relative space on small yachts. A four-person raft is the same size whether it’s on a 45-ft or 32-ft yacht. In one case there is room to accommodate; in the other, not so much. They are also heavy and expensive to mount. They have to be accessible.

Just a few musings here as I consider what boat gear that lasts more than 3 yr I might have bought with that $1K:doh:. On the other hand, it’s less than a month and a half of slippage in my 40-ft slip. I wonder whether folks, especially newbies, planning to “sail away” generally include the raft in the dollar and space budgets.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Last winter as we were doing the final outfitting for the trip we're not taking (Thank you corona virus!:mad:) We considered buying a life raft. We did, the final argument supporting the purchase was not wanting my final thoughts to be focused on "We should have bought that life raft" as the boat slowly slipped beneath the surface.

If it is any consolation, the outfitter I used said a big cost in the inspection is replacing lithium batteries and lights. There is a trend towards giving the batteries long shelf lives so they need replacing every other inspection.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Rental?
I investigated rentals some years ago. Without redoing it, I'll be a bit fuzzy on the details. What I recall is that one sometimes sees limited time on the rentals. Say, a week or two, depending. Not long enough for a long cruise; say, out all summer. But, there can also be minimums, say a week. Can become expensive if allowed to keep for several weeks @ $35/day or so. So now you’re really getting hammered. Spend a lot of $$ to rent a safety item that in very high probability you will not need, and you don’t even have the “satisfaction” of fanaticizing about maybe selling it to recover some of the dough.:frown:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If it is any consolation, the outfitter I used said a big cost in the inspection is replacing lithium batteries and lights. There is a trend towards giving the batteries long shelf lives so they need replacing every other inspection.
Well, no lithium batteries in my unit. The single biggest cost “item” outside of labor was the flares. I checked the expiration dates of the ones they took out—August 2020. So, no getting around that. This particular model, Cruiser 4 ORC+, is a “coastal“ version. Its provisioning is based on the expectation of relatively quick rescue. Say, within a few hours. Only about 2 liters of drinking water for four people; 2400 kcal of food ration total, etc. If you go down here off Southern California and manage to get a call off, and get into the raft, you’ll probably see help inside of 6, to even 3, hr depending.:)

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Life rafts are an interesting subject. I'm always torn as how best to set one up. The off-the-shelf type you have, the ones that blow up and you then hang out floating inside them waiting to get picked up by others, just seems wrong. Steve Callahan didn't have that work out too well for him.. He then came up with a design to make a sailing dingy essentially unsinkable and very hard to flip over. But one that you can sail to safety. In that way one could actually sail to land instead of being dependent upon being saved or blown by wind and currents to ... somewhere... Of course since Callahan had his boat sink the communication network is now notably better so his EPIRB would have likely had a better response today.

However, I'm still torn with the whole idea of depending upon others to save me. Since I took myself out there, I should be able to get myself back, and if not, then I should suffer the consequences. I have difficulties with the whole concept of "the expectation of being saved" by others. Awesome if another ship comes by and can help, but the thought that I should EXPECT others to help me out of a situation that I created just doesn't sit well with me. That just does not seem right to me. Obviously, if I am in a situation where I can help someone out there, I most certainly would, and I would expect everyone else to do the same. But this is simply good seamanship. Today we have now arrived to an expectation that it is an obligation for others to come to the rescue - notably the coast Guard.

So I think a life raft should be one that can actually get me to shore, from wherever I may have sailed. I need to set up my life raft depending upon where I'm planning to sail to. So If I'm going to do the southern ocean, I'd better have one darned good life raft capable of getting me to where I need to get to. Just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I want to be stepping up into a life raft not jumping down to it.

For a coastal cruiser having a life raft on board feels like carrying an extra spare tire. So far I have not sprung the boat bucks for this safety tool. Not saying that a whale could totally disrupt my year flinging itself out of the water onto my boat, or the I could play Titanic running a high speed into a rock ledge and tear a hole through my boats bottom. In both cases it would be catastrophic.

Considering the risk I have my inflatable dinghy on the bow, or in tow. I wear a PDF, and often a dry suit while sailing solo. There is a handheld VHF radio attached to my vest. Not perfect, but prepared.

I guess if I was planning a multi day off shore experience, I might explore the rental option. The $1700 purchase right now is just outside the current cruising budget.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I know that we as a forum have covered the topic of carrying life rafts aboard. It resurfaces whenever it comes time to certify, which typically is every three years. I just had mine done, a Plastimo Cruiser 4, to the surprising figure of $1,098, where labor accounted for about 25% of the cost. Three years ago it was just a bit more than $700 to certify. This year, over $160 in Pains Wessex flares-two parachute rockets & one hand held. Hydrostat the CO2 cylinder & refill @ $130, replace assorted burst membranes @ $120, just to mention a few items. I consider myself lucky that I can drive to the facility which is in Wilmington—13 miles from home, rather than have to spring for two-way shipping of about 50#.

I grumbled, naturally, but later thought of sailors we know who were rescued from their raft earlier this year after their 44’ yacht mysteriously began taking on water while in Mexican waters, and then sank:yikes:. At night, in bad weather, of course. It’s the age-old issue that arises in my thoughts about safety gear, as well as insurance generally. Cost of gear or coverage versus risk of loss. Risk of loss is generally low for any particular Individual, but the consequences of bad luck can be very high. I remember reading a few years ago about a J-boat that inadvertently sailed into a pod of whales along Baja‘s Pacific coast. A large wave lifted them. They surfed down it to hit one of the whales, where the rudder took the impact. Snapped off the rudder and tore a hole in the bottom. They barely got into their raft b/f the boat sank. But, they had one!

Rafts take up a lot of relative space on small yachts. A four-person raft is the same size whether it’s on a 45-ft or 32-ft yacht. In one case there is room to accommodate; in the other, not so much. They are also heavy and expensive to mount. They have to be accessible.

Just as few musings here as I consider what boat gear that lasts more than 3 yr I might have bought with that $1K:doh:. On the other hand, it’s less than a month and a half of slippage in my 40-ft slip. I wonder whether folks, especially newbies, planning to “sail away” generally include the raft in the dollar and space budgets.
As they say, "...I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...." I have a Revere 6 man ocean and care for it better than any piece of gear aboard...err, except for you know who :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You make good points dLj. But even the commercial passenger boats these days carry 10 to 25-person inflatable rafts in the big canisters. I don’t believe those can navigate anywhere; so, they depend on rescue. We’ve (USCG & recreational boaters) spent a lot of money on rescue technology, from EPIRBS to helicopters, and the attendant rescue divers. I think it’s OK to have an expectation of rescue when you, as a member of the boating community, have helped in some ways to create it. But, expectation of rescue should be your ultimate fail-safe component of cruising strategy. Clearly, the first is your ability as a skipper in a well-maintained vessel that is seaworthy and up to the task.

I recall Callahan’s lament now that you mention it. He was “on the circuit” for a brief time after surviving his raft experience. Gave a talk to my club in FL that I attended. Of course, in the days of the old sailing ships the crew (life) boats could be sailed, to your point. There was no hope of “rescue“ except to be shipwrecked near a shore. Just remember Bligh’s 3,000 n.mi. trip in a life boat. The DownEast Windjammers carry crew boats that can at least be rowed (e.g., Peapods). A friend just mounted a Portland Pudgy on his Freedom 40, which is both a lifeboat that can be sailed, as well as a dinghy. The size of the yacht is critical for those kinds of life boats carried aboard. The urgency of the situation is also a factor. Throwing over an inflatable, pulling the cord on the way out, is probably as fast as you can get it done. But, there you’re stuck depending on rescue.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I want to be stepping up into a life raft not jumping down to it.

Considering the risk I have my inflatable dinghy on the bow, or in tow. I wear a PDF, and often a dry suit while sailing solo. There is a handheld VHF radio attached to my vest. Not perfect, but prepared.
I think the idea of seeing the (inflated) inflatable dink as a life-raft alternative bears some scrutiny. My biggest concern would be boarding it as the vessel goes down (sinks or burns). I think we’ve discussed this here in the forum. If in the water with it, getting up into it is problematic. Unlike the rafts which have “steps” to assist boarding from the water, inflatable dinghies do not. Also, if there are seas, the dink will naturally ride beam-to, unless being powered somehow. Certainly, more prone to flipping that way; whereas, the rafts are circular and should ride evenly. A dry suit and PFD + VHF could work well for a time, but I would want a mask and snorkel on as well.;)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
to do the chi-mac race a raft is required. then a ten man "mac" raft was available. no canopy, enough gear to survive 24 hrs on the great lakes. i still keep it up. soft case. keep below. weight down low. can move around the cabin as needed.
i also sail with 2 large bean bag chairs. i tell people that if needed they will find me floating on the bean bag like an inner tube, smiling :)

i am supprised that bean bag chairs are not a favorite on all sailing vessels. you can make anywhere level, you can make the highside, amidship, a favorite riding spot, just like the bow area.

i did have my M.O.M. serviced this winter. good for 2 more years.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
On small non-passenger carrying pleasure craft I feel a life raft to be a static life saving device. Once launched, the occupants must await the actions of others for rescue. I've heard many a tale (many, many actually) of ships passing within a mile or so and never seeing the raft.
On the other hand, our Zodiac Mark I Classic is a proactive life saving device. On 10 gallons of fuel it has the ability to travel something like 60 miles at around 10 knots in calm conditions with 4 adults aboard and supplies for as much as a week, depending on how much time there is to provision. Few ships a few miles away could outrun it, so rescue would be near certain.
Inter island we carry it on the davits with the motor on it, out of the way. On a crossing it is secured to the foredeck (again with the motor attached) and it can be cut free in under a minute. It requires no certification and the last one we had lasted nearly 10 years of hard use, with little care, in the tropical sun.
Perhaps, for some, it might be a good time to assess whether one would prefer a single use static or a multi-use, proactive life saving device aboard your boat?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have no personal experience but the accounts I've read about of those in life rafts in rough weather are discouraging at best. So OK not all abandonments occur in rough weather - but bad weather is a big cause. By some of those accounts the vessel takes a while to actually sink. So it seems a few minutes might be enough to launch a Zodiac type rescue platform. I'd much rather be able to control the rescue craft's destiny rather than a raft which is at the mercy of wind and waves.
On the other hand the only boat I watched sink went down in less than 30 seconds leaving the occupants swimming. There was a sea worthiness problem with that boat. i.e. a unsecured lazarette hatch with no bulkhead separating the lazarette from the cabin.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
So there is a distinct difference between a rib and a life raft. Life rafts are designed to stay stable regardless of the conditions. If you notice they usually have large bags that hang down from the raft, designed to catch seawater these prevent the raft from flipping in a storm. They usually have several tubes which are designed to prevent sinking and which can be repaired even when wet an offshore version will have an insulated floor and a sun cover to protect the crew from the sun. They are packed with essential survival tools and gear design to keep the crew afloat and alive.

Ribs while having multiple tubes are not designed for survival. They have no gear other than what you can reach or think about (and during an emergency situation you often don't think clearly if at all) are not designed to stay upright in a storm and have no cover, no patch kit and no "stock" supplies. It's nice to have 15 cans of food but without a knife or can opener their not even good as bait. With no sun cover the sunburn will get to you in only a day, in cold climates, the cold water can bring on hypothermia,

The right tool for the right job. Dinks of any kind are great for racing around an anchorage but I challenge anyone to use their dink to keep up with a large ship at sea doing a steady 20 knots in 5' seas.

Each skipper is responsible for his/hers and the crews safety and must assess the risks before setting out. Coastal cruising where rescue is a vhf call away is one thing. Offshore for more than an overnight means more gear, more risk and you must be prepared for the worst.

Fair winds,

Cpt. Vic

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Time and circumstance is probably what determines ones best choice. A dinghy lasted to the foredeck, but with its engine on the stern rail, even if deployable in a few seconds to minutes, might prove less viable than the passive life raft. If there is no time to provision the dink, and to mount the engine, it hardly offers a better solution than a fully provisioned life raft, also with w/o power. OK. There’s rowing. But lacking adequate water and protective cover, you’ll likely exhaust yourself in less than two hours. So is the dink going to ride equipped for “survival mode” at all times?

At this stage of our boating life, thirty years invested, we now have the “luxury” to carry a life raft in the cockpit (lashed to the binnacle) AND a 9.5-ft inflatable rib lashed, usually inflated, to the foredeck. If we started going down, I think I’d pitch in the raft b/f I‘d go up to the foredeck to unlash the dink. The only other items needed in the ditch bag if we’re coastal would be a VHF radio, spare batteries, a few more pints of water, and the personal EPIRB, if I actually had one, which I do not (yet). But yes, then there we’d be with no ability to do more than to await rescue.:(

Every day on the sea is truly a new day. One does not accumulate bonus credits for good seamanship with King Neptune. I’ve never had to ... does not equate to I’ll never have to ..., etc.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is some gear that is purpose designed and some that can be pressed into service for some other purpose. A life raft is purposed designed, it serves one function, to keep a person alive while floating in the ocean. An inflatable or RIB is also purposed designed, to provide transport to and from the boat. As some have mentioned here, it could also be pressed into service as a life raft, but that was not the designed purpose. In some situations it may be better than nothing and in some situations, it may be adequate. However, if I am going rely on something to save my life, I would much prefer something designed to keep me alive.

Of course the best course of action is to keep the boat on the surface of the water rather than beneath the surface, so good maintenance and prudent seamanship in a vessel being used for its designed purpose is the best bet. And then something happens and a life saving device is needed.

The Portland Pudgy was designed to be a dual purpose boat, to serve as a tender and as a life raft, the Portland Pudgy. For some this might be right solution.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I looked at the PP with interest. As I mention above (#9) a friend in a slip near our slip in Long Beach purchased one a few weeks ago and has it mounted on stern davits. I’ve seen the boat up close. As it has several accessible watertight chambers, I imagine the boat can be maintained in the provisioned state. If it is rigged for sailing, then maybe one would not require some items of the passive rescue strategy, such as flares. If ones sailboat went down 40 n.mi. off Long Beach on a typical summer afternoon, and the crew boarded the PP, it potentially could sail home in 8-10 hr on a broad reach, assuming the wind does not die or become contrary. I think USCG rescue would be much quicker if you got the MAYDAY off, however.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Several years ago, in response to the question; "What are you going to do if I fall overboard right now?", my wife - who doesn't participate on sailing forums or generally read about boat safety - looked up from her book and said, "I'd untie the dinghy". Then she went back to reading.

That was the first time I realized, I'd be very happy with that scenario. :) The dinghy (always loop on an easily reached stern cleat) would be the first thing 'tossed'. Even if I couldn't get in, I'd rather have it than most MOB items in the water.

So from then on, we've made it a point when swimming, to be sure we can easily get into the dinghy from the water. In fact I've added another loop on the rope that the dinghy's mainsheet clips to. It's 1/2" stout line that is permanently run through the aft knee braces. That second loop acts as a ladder to make entry over the broad transom easy and doesn't flood the boat.

On forums, we'd likely get, "what about force 10 conditions?" or something equally terrifying.

We're coastal sailors and try to equip ourselves to safely manage our typical risks. We always tow our dinghy (too big to fit on deck), always. I plan for a MOB close to home, in fair weather and daylight. That is apparently when most of these accidents happen.

We've towed a dinghy (similar) from Canada to the Exumas (nearly twice in fact). But our system won't work unless you tow, and that dinghy is designed to tow. And we can avoid rough-ish weather being coastal sailors. You also live with the idea you may have to lose that dinghy. But I can say, that's a very unlikely scenario with us after thousands of miles.

If I were crossing oceans, I wouldn't do it without a life raft (and 90+' boat).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Perfect expose on how there is never "the right" answer but rather each must decide what is best for oneself, and their boat, crew and sailing "style".

Quite like that dingy @rgranger . I'm going to look into it.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh wow... Dave.
Yes the Portland Pudgy looks cool and all , but to buy the "basic" boat, a sail kit, and the Exposure cover which converts the boat into a life raft, would cost me more than I spent to buy my boat.

There goes this years cruise kitty... That is... the money I was going to use to take my wife on a cruise. But with all the cruise ships in "Quarantine" I thought I might be able to adjust my priorities and buy sails (without getting into too much trouble).

Oh well...:yikes: